Confession

Options
jcamby
jcamby Posts: 200 Member
Anyone keep a secret from their SO? I have a credit card that I have racked up over $1600.....my DH knows nothing about it as it's in my name. I'm coming clean tonight....it's gonna get ugly. SIGH. Any advice?

Replies

• emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'd cancel the card, cut it up, get the most recent card statement, and try to get a plan on how you are going to get the funds together to pay off the card...

Perhaps you can sell stuff on Ebay, or find a part-time job (not sure of your employment situation)?

Mostly, be sorry, don't try to defend keeping the secret. Don't try to blame others for your actions. The very best apologies are unconditional. No "I'm sorry if" statements. Just, "Honey, I'm sorry. I messed up, and I'm very embarrassed. Please forgive me."

Good luck!
  • _Stampede_
    _Stampede_ Posts: 66
    Options
    No matter how you break it to him...you're fooked.
  • Foxypoo61287
    Foxypoo61287 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Anyone keep a secret from their SO? I have a credit card that I have racked up over $1600.....my DH knows nothing about it as it's in my name. I'm coming clean tonight....it's gonna get ugly. SIGH. Any advice?

Nevermind, read it again to check. Uh, my parents were in the same spot. My dad was in charge of paying the cc bills. He would hand my mom a cc and she would spend max $500 on it. And then what ever, well they started getting collection calls. Mom had no idea. well daddy wasn't paying and she flipped out. Since she thought he had it under control. They were like probably close to $10,000 in debt. :/

Edit to add: I'd see if you can pay it off little by little, or if you are really strapped for cash and need help. If you can pay it off without telling him, I wouldn't. If you can't I would.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Is it bad that my advice is to figure out how to pay it off yourself without having to 'fess up????
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Meh... just be honest about it. My DH and I both have our own credit cards that we both use at our descretion.... We just are honest about how much is charged to them... especially if one asks.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Is it bad that my advice is to figure out how to pay it off yourself without having to 'fess up????

PATTI!

You're doing the best thing by owning up to it. The dread you're feeling is the worst part. And while it's no small amount of money it's also not the end of the world. A few months of being dedicated and you'll get it paid off.
  • macpatti
    Options
    PATTI!
    You're doing the best thing by owning up to it. The dread you're feeling is the worst part. And while it's no small amount of money it's also not the end of the world. A few months of being dedicated and you'll get it paid off.

What??!!! It's not like he asked about it and she lied. He doesn't even know about it. If she can pay it off, why tell him? Now, if she can't pay it off on her own, she's going to have to tell him. Maybe I only like confessing to priests, Brett. Ever think of that? :wink:
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    eek I hate to say it but it sucks to be you lol.

No I don't keep things from my husband because I wouldn't want him to keep things from me. My husband is my best friend and I tell him everything.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    DO NOT cancel the card.

Pay it off as quickly as you can. If you're worried about spending that much again, give it to your SO to just buy gas with once a month.

But canceling a card puts a black mark on your credit report.

If it makes you feel any better, I have 116,000 in student loan debt and 5k in credit card debt. :) 1600 isn't really that much. Just tell your husband, and come up with a plan to pay it off. No biggie!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    PATTI!

What??!!! It's not like he asked about it and she lied. He doesn't even know about it. If she can pay it off, why tell him? Now, if she can't pay it off on her own, she's going to have to tell him. Maybe I only like confessing to priests, Brett. Ever think of that? :wink:

Patti I simply adore you. And I can only imagine the walk in closet of skeletons you must have...
  • dizzydi1968
    dizzydi1968 Posts: 564
    Options
    Why tell now? What has changed? If nothing has changed and you just feel guilty then pay it off and say nothing.

Why make him doubt your honesty in other areas if its not essential?
  • macpatti
    Options
    Why tell now? What has changed? If nothing has changed and you just feel guilty then pay it off and say nothing.

Why make him doubt your honesty in other areas if its not essential?

Thank you! I say this especially because she said it's going to get ugly.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Patti I simply adore you. And I can only imagine the walk in closet of skeletons you must have...

Apparently you do not understand how the priestly confession works. Clean slate, skeletons all removed! (for any of my Catholic friends who may see this, I'm totally kidding!!!)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    We really don't keep secrets because they only hurt us both in the end. This is something I would confess right away and probably ask for his moral support on.

I'm terrible with money. My husband knows this. So, we keep our finances separate, and he helps me think through my thought process when I feel like blowing all of my money on stupid ****. Because we are so understanding of each other's particular struggles, he never gets mad at me for being bad with my money, etc. When he buys a cool new toy, he does remind me (in a respectful way!) that I too could have the new Sony tablet if I hadn't spent all of my monies on shoes and purses last month.

Which burned especially hard last month because my laptop battery is now fried.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

It's better to come clean while you CAN make payments, than box yourself in and be forced to admit it when you can't make the payments anymore.

Take Dave Ramsey's FPU class and stop working at cross-purposes about money for good.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Don't spend money you don't have and you won't have that problem again.

In the meantime, tell the truth and figure out how to fix it. Don't expect him to fix it for you.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    sounds like you will be working nights. Sorry about the debt.

My wife didn't pay a cent on her student loans for two years and didn't tell me. I had to shell out thousands of dollars and beg my parents for money to help out. All because she wouldn't tell me. it was so bad that she was a month away from getting money taken directly out of her paycheck.
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'd cancel the card, cut it up, get the most recent card statement, and try to get a plan on how you are going to get the funds together to pay off the card...

Perhaps you can sell stuff on Ebay, or find a part-time job (not sure of your employment situation)?

Mostly, be sorry, don't try to defend keeping the secret. Don't try to blame others for your actions. The very best apologies are unconditional. No "I'm sorry if" statements. Just, "Honey, I'm sorry. I messed up, and I'm very embarrassed. Please forgive me."

Good luck!

This!!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    One word: oral.

Make sure you tell him face-to-face, and not in written form.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Honesty is the best policy, even if it will cause a bit of a tiff. Life will go on...