A little sad that I can't see any difference w/20lb loss

Options

Replies

• deje0201
    deje0201 Posts: 4
    Options
    Your doing great! You can totally see it in your face. I am down 25 and it's starting to get hard to stay motivated.
  • Micksgurl
    Micksgurl Posts: 84
    Options
    Dont be hard on yourself. You will wake up one day and you will suddenly see it. Your doing great just keep doing what your doing. It will happen and when it does you will wonder why you ever worried about it. :flowerforyou:
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It takes time but keep at it! Don't get discouraged. Here's a trick to help you see (since seeing is believing) your accomplishments. Pick a specific outfit to take pictures in and place in your house or wherever. Do a monthly picture with the same outfit in the same place and you should be able to see a difference. I would even suggest form fitting clothes too. If you don't want to do it every month maybe after ever 10 or 20 Ibs you lose. Also, the others that mentioned it are right… take your measurements! I was stuck at the same weight for a month and I was working really hard in the gym and eating right. What I didn't realize was that I was losing inches.

Best of luck to you!

That's a *great* suggestion!

I would add as well that sometimes our perception of ourselves is skewed, too; we literally can't see the difference because we have a certain perception of our appearance in our heads. It takes a while for your inner image and your outer appearance to sync up again. If your clothes are looser, you know you're losing!

And I agree with the others above--I can definitely see a difference in your arms and waist, too.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements! When you drop 10-20 pounds, take them again. You will see big differences even if it doesn't register in pictures. My first 20 pounds all came off my waist, because my hips didn't change, I was still wearing the same size jeans even after losing 20 pounds! I didn't look any smaller, because the place I lost the weight was hidden by clothes, but the tape measure knows!!!
  • Bryanslady
    Bryanslady Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I don't know you and I am so proud of you !!!! Your doing an awesome job !!!! Keep up the good work, we can do this !!!
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Don't get frustrated! 20 pounds lost is amazing! You need to take your measurements monthly! It's a terrific motivator for when the scale isn't cooperating and you've been working your butt off!

I use these measurements: neck, chest, waist, hips (at biggest point), left and right thigh, left and right arm.

You will be amazed at sneaky places you lose weight and might not notice (fingers, wrist etc) so don't get discouraged! Keep up the great work and soon you not even recognize yourself!

-Kris
  • firedad
    firedad Posts: 59
    Options
    I've lost 29lbs so far and the only place I can see a difference is my face. My cloths do fit better, but it's frustrating. I'd have liked to lose 29lbs of stomach and man boob.
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds and don't see a difference either. I guess it just takes a little longer for heavier people. I'm feeling better, but am waiting to see physical results.
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Start taking measurements! A measuring tape will show you how much you're shrinking, even if you can't see it when you look in a mirror.

I agree with the measuring! Hang in there sweetie. It's one day at a time, for the rest of your life. Celebrate each and every success no matter how small.
  • sem41278
    sem41278 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I didn't see a difference at 20 for me either but health wise I felt a huge difference. How do you feel compared to 20 lbs ago? I bet a lot better! Keep at it Hun! You're doing great!!!!
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    With my 15 lbs I couldnt tell at all!! UNTIL, I took a photo wearing a sports bra and terry cloth shorts, I took a front photo and a side photo when I first started. Then a month later I took the same photos wearing the same clothes. I was amazed at the difference that I couldnt see with just looking in a mirror. I can see a difference in your two photos, small one, but it is definitely there. Keep your eyes on the prize. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I used a photo editing software to put the photos side by side. That's how I noticed the big difference.
  • 3ofmine
    3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody...I don't get me wrong I'm not giving up not in the least. It just makes me more determined but I just wish I could see it also. I don't have a way to measure. What are you using to measure inches? I am not a member of a gym or anything just going on MFP calorie thing and exercising. I am SO EXCITED about the 20lb loss(even if it didn't sound like it I REALLY AM) because even though I can't SEE a difference I can FEEL a difference! I can walk into a store without having to park by the cart return and get a cart to push because I can't walk 10ft without my back killing me and being out of breath. I can go on hikes with my husband and kids(and have to wait on them to catch up with me instead of wait on me!) So don't get me wrong there is a difference even if I am not seeing it I am feeling it and that makes me the most happy and excited but I want to see it already too!! LOL--Thank you all for all the support and encouragement...your posts are a huge boost when I need it!
    Angel :tongue:
  • munkey418
    munkey418 Posts: 139
    Options
    Im right there with ya! The place i noticed a reduction in first was my wrist.... one day my watch fit perfect next day it was almost sliding off... Of all places to shrink! i was perfectly happy with my wrists to begin with -.- so maybe i should pretend to be happy with my backend and itll shrink next? xD

i do see a difference in your face! cant really see your full body in the before pic but youre doing great! kep up the terrific work as frustrating as it may be at times :)
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    It all depends, cuz all of that weight might not have been fat. Some of it, especially what u lost the first week, could have been water weight. In the 1st pic, you're behind people, so it's hard to tell. BUT you're losing lbs so something is def changing. I think the amount of weight b4 noticing is different among everyone.
    This is what you do: Take your measurements. Chest, waist, belly, hips, upper arms, upper and mid thigh. Take them every month. Next is take pictures every month, but take them wearing a bathing suit or sports bra and shorts. That way you can see all your trouble spots & it's much easier to see loss when ur clothing isn't in the way. You don't have to show these to anyone either. It can b only for urself. Take them from the front and to the side. (from the back too if you prefer). I promise you will see the diff then. :)
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    I am down 80 and only see a difference in my face. my clothes are big, but I dont see it. Others started to say things and ask if I had lost weight at 50 pounds down.
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Just keep on going! Make sure to also take your measurements. I didnt really notice till 30 pounds off.. Keep it up your doing great!
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. Sometimes with people who have a lot to lose, it takes time to see a difference. I am 5'10 and started at 274. I am at 257 now (17 pounds) and I still cannot see a huge difference, nor have many people commented. However, I have gained and lost before, and I know it takes about 30-35 pounds lost for me to start really seeing a difference. I do agree, however, that the measuring tape is your friend! :smile:
  • Hotanuri
    Hotanuri Posts: 53
    Options
    That looks like the same dress, and I can see it's hanging much looser in your 2nd picture than the first. :D
    Someone else already said it, so I second it: Pick and outfit to wear every month and take a frontal and profile/side picture. It's fun to watch the progress :D I couldn't see much of a difference when I lost the first 18lbs and people were starting to compliment me, until I took a picture in the same outfit in the same position, and went "HOLY CRAP!" I'm 5'3" and I started at 289, so I know it can be difficult of getting out of that mindset of always seeing yourself as being a big woman.

Keep at it, Mama!
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My clothes are getting really loose. My husband says he is starting to see a difference(this was said last weekend without me asking) I walked in the room and he was looking at me and said "I'm so proud of you because your really doing it. Your losing and I can tell you've lost weight now your clothes are getting big and I can see a difference physically." i think it was super sweet of him to say but I don't see it.

• rockabillydarlin
    rockabillydarlin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It helped me to take pictures of myself in my bra. You don't have to share them (I didn't) but I could definitely see a change that way. And I agree that the fit of your clothing is a really great way to gauge your success!