Diet pills??!! ADVICE NEEDED!!!

Options

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Just a warning... people will bash anyone who even mention diet pills on this site... this site is full of a bunch of a-holes that think it's their way or the highway. Sorry in advance for all the people who are going to make you feel like crap :/

EDIT: No, I haven't came across any that have worked. Eating less and exercising more is definitely key! There isn't going to be a magic pill that will get you results like a bit of hard work will ;)

You haven't come across any that work BECAUSE THEY DON'T.
  • dyjeung
    dyjeung Posts: 2
    Options
    I think you are being extremely honest with your desire and your hope. Secondly, speaking as a male who just hit 50, I have seen that everyone has differing amounts of success with the diet and exercise routines. I can certainly understand frustrations over hitting a plateau or not seeing results quickly enough, especially with the importance of your upcoming wedding! I wish you the best of luck! I have had to push my running mileage up to 6-8 miles per day in order to achieve consistent results of weight loss along with watching my caloric intake pretty thoroughly. Hang in there and I hope you have a beautiful wedding!:happy:
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Ally works and it is safe. It will curb your appetite as well. I lost 20 pounds with it a couple of years ago. As long as you don't eat a ton of fat you won't poop yourself.

I love the fact that there is a pill that makes you poop if you cheat on your diet. What motivation to be good!
  • lyndyb88
    lyndyb88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Instead of diet pills try adding some vitamins to your daily regimen for energy. either a good multi-vitamin or a vitamin-b supplement can help give you an energy boost and keep you more motivated during the day. i would also set my weekly weight loss goal to 2lbs a week and follow the calorie regimen that mfp gives you.

I've been doing this too...added multivitamins to my daily intake (i also found this "natural" weight loss pill in my mother's woman's world magazine...the thing is called resveratrol...I just started it three days ago so I don't know yet if it's going to make any difference...the magazine basically called it another vitamin) congratulations on your upcoming wedding...you'll be beautiful to your groom and your loved ones whether you reach that goal weight or not!
  • Lilllyrbrt
    Lilllyrbrt Posts: 14
    Options
    Thank u all for your quick responses and for the congrats!!!
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Please don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to be mean, but knowing you're getting married, you should have started the weight loss process sooner. Pills don't work, and you shouldn't use them.

Troubles with metabolism? Use: cinnamon, hot sauce (spicy food)...
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have taken Ephadrine>Caffeine>Aspirin stack's before and found it helpful in reducing my appetite. Just be careful that you do NOT overdose, drink PLENTY of fluid and STOP taking them for a couple of weeks after a few weeks (otherwise you become tolerant / addicted) once you have managed to maintain a lower appetite then slowly wean off them and just follow the general MFP plan.

But honestly stay away from them if possible, NOTHING works better than the MFP system ;-)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I was on them years ago....they are scary. Dont compound one problem with another...please!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    It would be easier to just postpone the wedding
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    didnt read the question or any responses.

diet pills...no.
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    watch Requiem for a Dream. you will never want to look at diet pills again.
    and they don't work - they are a rip off. the only thing that works is trying hard to work it off. follow your own motto on your profile.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Just a warning... people will bash anyone who even mention diet pills on this site... this site is full of a bunch of a-holes that think it's their way or the highway. Sorry in advance for all the people who are going to make you feel like crap :/

Pot? I think I just met kettle...:flowerforyou:

ETA: whoops, hit post too soon.
    OP, congrats on the upcoming wedding and while I understand the desire to look "perfect" for the big day (or for the pics beforehand) but any quick fix you find will be just that...a quick fix. Start moving more, eating less, and lift heavy TODAY and I think you'll be amazed at what you can do before August.

No gimmicks, no pills, just hard work.
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have tried the acai berry and b-12 in addition to a lower calorie diet and working out. I have had success with it I look at it more like vitamins than diet pills. Good Luck and Congrats on the wedding.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    set your goals to 2lbs/week. be very careful. work hard. take the money and work w/ a trainer. increasing muscle mass will speed up your metabolism naturally. work hard, eat good foods; the help of a trainer to kick your butt and to make sure you're working out effectively will do more for you than the pills.

if it is an honest problem w/ your metabolism - go to the dr. they will have pills that will not kill your thyroid, but rather stabilize it. the problem w/ diet pills in general is that they are a kind of speed. and that's bad b/c it will weaken your thyroid. meaning that when you're no longer taking the pills, you can have SERIOUSLY damaged your thyroid and killed your metabolic rate.

work up 2lbs per week on here, and take that to your doc. make sure that they're on board w/ the calorie intake. ask them to check your thyroid. get a trainer.
  • Michelle81285
    Options
    I do not know of any pills that will help you but have you ever heard of HCG drops?? You have to follow a really strict diet but its a 23 day plan and I know ppl who have done it and lost anywhere from 1-2 pounds a day... but its really hard to be that strict with yourself and its not that healthy for you to lose so much so fast so be careful.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    "diets" and "diet pills" don't work. Start logging what you eat, eat healthy and bust your *ss in the gym and problem solved. This is coming from someone who tried every new fad diet and pills before I realized they don't work and if they do, it's temporary and you'll gain more back than where you started. And it's way better to tell people when they ask how you did it to say....hard work! Good luck and congrats on the wedding.
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you already think that you metabolism is out of wack, then stay away from ANY diet pill. You need to get it back on track with a consistant eating schedule, a balanced diet, lots of water and of course some exercise. I'm right there with you and I understand that it is hard and you want a quick fix, but you have to make your body burn the way it is meant to, not do it chemically!
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Well, you have more than enough time to do it on your own. I lost 24lbs in 3 months. All I did was calorie control and exercise. The jitters and mood swings really aren't worth it.

P.S... CONGRATS!!! :flowerforyou:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    I do not know of any pills that will help you but have you ever heard of HCG drops?? You have to follow a really strict diet but its a 23 day plan and I know ppl who have done it and lost anywhere from 1-2 pounds a day... but its really hard to be that strict with yourself and its not that healthy for you to lose so much so fast so be careful.

HCG is a sensitive topic lately and threads about it are closing. i'm thinking steer clear of that stuff.
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The only diet pill that really works is the amphetamine Phentermine. It is RX only though so good luck finding a dr to prescribe it. It's similar to legal cocaine. And if you've ever tried the illegal stuff, you know why it works so well :tongue:

Edit: I've also heard that Alli works, but there is a good chance you will poop your pants.

I had a coworker use phentermine with out exercise or strict diet and she lost about 18lbs in two months, but she did lower her caloric intake and stop eating fried chicken.

I talked to my doctor about it and it he was all for it! He had no problem with the drug but wanted it to be accompanied with a lifestyle change. He gave me a script for it and I only took half a pill and started using MFP and I was already doing the C25k (about week 5 when I got the script). As you can see, in about 35 days I've lost 20 lbs and I'm faithful to MFP. I thought I would give a try since I was doing everything else and not depending on the pill. Btw, its cheaper to get the script than to buy otc pills. My script was $15 at Costco for 30 day supply (60 days actually because I take half the pill).