I want to start running... HELP!

Options
13»

Replies

• ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I was a runner before I ever had kids, but after my babies were born I tried to get back into it and had a HELL of a time with the pain of extra weight bouncing around, not to mention having had my hips widened and repositioned twice. All I did was put on spandex and kept at it. When I started up again, I couldn't finish half a mile. That was in the fall of 2010. Last summer I finished several road races, including a 10K. I continued this year with road races and I'm training for my first half-marathon this fall.

Don't give up! Keep at it, buy some garments that make you feel "contained," like some good compression shorts and sports bras, and keep running!
  • rbcca19
    rbcca19 Posts: 91
    Options
    I recommend the C25K app as well. I started the App at the beginning of April. I have now finished it and am currently able to run 8 miles. I have never been a runner and wasn't exercising before that. The thing I like about the app is it really starts out for beginners and it helps you know when to walk/run and plays over your music.

I also use the Enell bra. It's the best bra I've used (I'm not small chested). It's definitely a good bra for high impact. Make sure you have good shoes and inserts as well so you lessen your chances of getting injured.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Support gear, support gear, support gear. Definitely get a good bra, but another option is a belly binder. When I first started jogging my midsection flopped around so much it was painful as well as embarrassing. I talked to my dr & he recommended a belly binder & it was the best thing ever. Unfortunately it's a little hot in the summer but it's still better than flopping around & keeps everything in place nicely. I used it for over a year, then lo & behold, I lost enough weight that I didn't need it anymore! I do still need compression bottoms, but those are pretty widely available. Old Navy Active are my favorite because they're reasonably priced, but I also have some Nike & UnderArmour ones.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Here's another vote for C25K. I'm on week 2 and I find it's a good pace for a complete beginner. I can already see the effects outside of the program.

Get an app or podcast and go for it. Repeat weeks if you feel you are not ready to move on to the next week.