Missing Pasta know of any replacements

Options

Replies

• SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is so delicious with fresh chives, fresh thyme , fresh crushed black pepper and a little butter.
    Also, I have tried Dream fields Low carb whole wheat pasta. It is a great value for you calories.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters above - my solution is to eat pasta but keep the portion size moderate and have lots of veggies with it.
    Unless you have a medical issue that doesn't allow you to eat it - in which case you could try a veggie substitute like spaghetti squash or julienned zuchinni.
    If there is no medical issue - why not factor it into your cals and macros now and again? I find the best way to deal with cravings is to eat a small portion, enjoy it, and then I can move on.
  • wodforbacon
    Options
    Bacon. It will make you totally forget about pasta.
  • kitchensync
    kitchensync Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love Tofu Shirataki noodles!! Here's lot's of ways to prepare them: http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/2157

My best results have been draining and rinsing them WELL, then I pat them with a paper towel and put them in a hot non-stick pan to get the remaining water out of them. This is where you can get creative, I usually add some veggies and a few triangles of Light laughing cow. It is soooooo good!

The Shirataki noodles are fantastic and you can eat the whole bag for 40 cals, 1 g of fat, 6 carbs, 4 fibres and 2 protein :)

Enjoy!!
  • shavon007
    shavon007 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    is the issue the carbs or the processed flour? cause i use whole wheat pasta instead of semolina flour pasta.

The Carbs
  • queenofgrey
    queenofgrey Posts: 70 Member
    Options
  • ntriplett222
    ntriplett222 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I eat whole grain pasta, but make sure to keep to the proper portions, and use a regular red sauce. Stay away from any sort of cream sauce, like Alfredo. That's where the calories really start to add up.
  • shavon007
    Options
    I love Tofu Shirataki noodles!! Here's lot's of ways to prepare them: http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/2157

My best results have been draining and rinsing them WELL, then I pat them with a paper towel and put them in a hot non-stick pan to get the remaining water out of them. This is where you can get creative, I usually add some veggies and a few triangles of Light laughing cow. It is soooooo good!

The Shirataki noodles are fantastic and you can eat the whole bag for 40 cals, 1 g of fat, 6 carbs, 4 fibres and 2 protein :)

Enjoy!!

Thank you I'm gonna try them
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If you miss it, have it, and fit it into your daily macros.

I understand not everyone wants to have many carbs, but to cut something high carb out completely seems silly to me, especially if you really like it! I have pasta pretty much every single day, I always have. My carb total is around 200-250g a day, and this hasn't stopped me losing weight. If I go low carb, I feel dizzy and faint personally.

The thing that made me gain weight in the first place was the portion size of pasta, I used to have 200g (dry weight) regularly. The reason why I weighed it when I wasn't focusing on my weight at the time was because if it was any less, I wouldn't be happy (loves pasta) but if it was any more, it wouldn't fit on the plate (massive steak plate) Now I have around 75g and firmly believe portion size, and calories are what matter the most.

If you still want a replacement, I'd find some veg you really like, and fill up the rest of the plate with that, or have sweet potato? <-- That stuff is gorgeous!!
  • shavon007
    Options
    Thank you
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    To all of you suggesting to just eat pasta and watch your portion:

She obviously doesn't want to eat the pasta for whatever reason (I find it easier to just eliminate things I don't want from the house so I don't have to worry about self control) You could either kindly give your ideas for pasta replacement or just kindly click another thread.

VV agree with the below poster - there are so many reasons she probably doesn't want to eat pasta. Advice to eat it anyway after she specifically asked for replacements is very annoying verging on arrogant.
  • waitingpatiently
    Options
    Some of us have medical issues that require us to keep our carbs low...it not always a weight issue.
  • waitingpatiently
    Options
    There is a product called dreamfield pasta that advertises only having 5 digestable carbs in 1 serving. I'm not sure what to think of it. I couple of our weight loss centers around here are suggesting them, but it just seems hard to believe that they only have 5 carbs. I asked my nutritionist about them and she thought it was legit...so I gave them a try. I honestly could not tell a difference in taste from regular pasta......making me distrust the product even more. I'm going to call the company and actually ask them what the difference is between a net carb and a digestable carb....I want to make sure they aren't playing word games. Anyway you can find them at kroger in my area...so give them a look and decide for yourself.they taste the same.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Bacon. It will make you totally forget about pasta.

^^ This

But seriously, there is some pasta by Al Dente called Carba Nada. They are higher fiber so a lot um, goes right through for lack of better phrasing. It is pasta so taste and texture is right. I have IR so I have to keep carbs low and can still fit a serving in whenever I want.

I don't mind spaghetti squash either. The Miracle Noodles (or Shiratake) I highly recommend only buying 1 bag at first. They are an "acquired" taste. I will never eat them again so no worry about me acquiring that taste.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    There is a product called dreamfield pasta that advertises only having 5 digestable carbs in 1 serving. I'm not sure what to think of it. I couple of our weight loss centers around here are suggesting them, but it just seems hard to believe that they only have 5 carbs. I asked my nutritionist about them and she thought it was legit...so I gave them a try. I honestly could not tell a difference in taste from regular pasta......making me distrust the product even more. I'm going to call the company and actually ask them what the difference is between a net carb and a digestable carb....I want to make sure they aren't playing word games. Anyway you can find them at kroger in my area...so give them a look and decide for yourself.they taste the same.

I was eating these at one time but I found a bunch of information on the net that they may be misleading people. Many diabetics have posted that their blood sugar spikes after eating Dreamfields which thus means that more than 5grams is being digested. Just some FYI for you. If you do a quick Google search there will be a ton of posts regarding people's actual experience with eating it.
  • KerriD33
    KerriD33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is definitely my fave replacement!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    You could either kindly give your ideas for pasta replacement or just kindly click another thread.

Advice to eat it anyway after she specifically asked for replacements is very annoying verging on arrogant.

YOU'RE annoying and verging on arrogant. If you don't like people suggesting pasta, YOU can kindly click another thread.

See, works both ways.

To the OP:
    I say eat a small portion of pasta. Unless there is a medical reason such as gluten intolerance. Otherwise have half a portion every once in a while if you miss it.
  • coffeemom3boys
    coffeemom3boys Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The miracle noodles smell like fish even after I washed them a ton.....couldn't get past that.
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You could either kindly give your ideas for pasta replacement or just kindly click another thread.

Advice to eat it anyway after she specifically asked for replacements is very annoying verging on arrogant.

YOU'RE annoying and verging on arrogant. If you don't like people suggesting pasta, YOU can kindly click another thread.

See, works both ways.

To the OP:
    I say eat a small portion of pasta. Unless there is a medical reason such as gluten intolerance. Otherwise have half a portion every once in a while if you miss it.

You are special. The OP didn't ask for your advice on eating pasta.
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've been using courgette (zucchini) as an alternative to pasta recently. I slice it thinly and then cut the slices lenghtwise to make them about the width of tagliatelle pasta. Cook for 2-3 minutes.

I have mine with hot chilli pesto and low fat grated cheese. It's really delicious!