Replies

• purple_orchid
    purple_orchid Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Fiber Gourmet Pasta
  • Percyjs
    Percyjs Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash is cheap and delicious :)
  • Percyjs
    Percyjs Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy!:happy:
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Tofu shirataki noodles, whole grain pasta, and spaghetti squash is good :)
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I eat whole grain pasta, but make sure to keep to the proper portions, and use a regular red sauce. Stay away from any sort of cream sauce, like Alfredo. That's where the calories really start to add up.

You can also substitute laughing cow cheese for Alfredo sauce :)
  • glacier81
    glacier81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash was surprisingly pretty good! We put our regular red meat sauce over it and it was great. It does have a slightly sweeter taste to it.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    if you have a spiral slicer, you can use it to make zucchini into angel hair, its awesome. If not, you can use a veggie peeler and make fettucini out of it =)
  • Leesseebee
    Leesseebee Posts: 216
    Options
    what is it in pasta you are avoiding?
    if it is gluten, you can try brown rice, quinoa and corn.
    If t is the startch, try spaghetti squash and shirataki tofu noodles
    good luck
  • EbonySD
    EbonySD Posts: 142
    Options
    spagetti squash is an excellent pasta fake
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    I have kept most of my pasta's in my diet and still have lost 12 pounds. just all in portion and choosing whole grains instead of bleached.
  • FlamencoGal
    FlamencoGal Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I use FiberGourmet pasta!! It is chuck full of fiber and protein. I haven't found it in any local stores, so I purchase it online. I LOVE IT!!!!!
  • kaylasue_mustlose
    Options
    Are you planing on being Low-Carb for life?...I think it is better to eat carbs in moderation unless this is something that you can stick to for life. If not, along with a lot of other Atkins people you will drop weight quick and as soon as you begin eating carbs again you will put it right back on plus some. I suggest adding a Carb tracker to your food tracker on here and just staying within those limits. There are several whole-grain pastas that are delicious and healthy...Carbs aren't the enemy!! Overeating carbs is. I love the Healthy Choice Top Chef Steamers and they have a lot of pasta ones that are great...usually made with all whole-grain and have vegetables and chicken and light sauces. Moderation is key...just like with anything else. If you get to focused on carbs you are going to forget about fat, sugar, sodium...things that are really bad for your health--heart issues, kidney issues, etc. No GOOD diet---think Atkins--is going to let you eat all of the bacon, pork, sausage, steak that you want. I think it is best to just do your food tracker on here and try to stay within all of the limits...it will help make an easier LIFESTYLE change. Good luck!! :)
  • AlabasterJar68
    Options
    I agree with the posters above - my solution is to eat pasta but keep the portion size moderate and have lots of veggies with it.
    Unless you have a medical issue that doesn't allow you to eat it - in which case you could try a veggie substitute like spaghetti squash or julienned zuchinni.
    If there is no medical issue - why not factor it into your cals and macros now and again? I find the best way to deal with cravings is to eat a small portion, enjoy it, and then I can move on.

I agree.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I replaced pasta with completely different food. I love pasta but I knew it wasn't doing me any favors. Tried spaghetti squash (which is delicious in a different way, but it is not even close to pasta) and shiratake noodles (has the consistency of old gum).

Best thing I ever did besides giving up soda was giving up pasta. I eat it maybe once every couple of months, but I don't crave it anymore and instead of substituting it for something that will never taste like pasta, I just eat other things (mostly meat and vegetables).

But that's me. I like to eat a lot of food, and the calories in pasta per serving are just not worth it.
  • mrscewinters
    mrscewinters Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Doubt anyone will ready this... too far down from the original. Miracle noodles are great for asian recipes. Dreamfields make the one with insoluble carbs. I don't get caught up in the organic - non artifical hoopla. I know for me being diabetic they don't wreak havoc in my blood glucose. Plus I keep them in the cabinet, I don't eat it often, but for my mind to know its there if I want it and its ok for me, curbs alot of the craving factor for me
  • 4myboyz25
    4myboyz25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I mix my whole wheat pasta with spaghetti squash it is really good!
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I miss pasta as well so I have it every two weeks and only make as much as I have a alloted to eat so I won't pick at the extra portions. I then put the extra pasta sauce on vegetables such as spagetti squash, zuccini, chinese cabbage salad.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    maybe the squash pasta noodles? never had them but i've heard good things.

have these.
    love them.

i think theyre made with squash and carrots....good stuff!
  • stacie48
    stacie48 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have bean using Pearled Barley for my pasta replacement. Especially regarding rice but I have used for sauces as well. I have read so many labels trying to find something with lower carbs high fiber and a decent calorie content. Some Barley can vary dramatically. The best that I have found is Publix brand Pearled Barley the macros are as follow:

1/4 cup (dry) - which equals more after cooked (YEAH)
    Calories - 100
    Fat - 0
    Carbs - 24g
    Fiber - 5g
    Protein - 3g

It is yummy easy and feels like rice or pasta when eating!!!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I do this:
    - Smaller portions of whole grain pasta (add extra veggies to make up for less pasta)
    - spaghetti squash
    - quinoa

I've never tried any of the optional noodles - shiritaki etc.