What time of day/night do you work out?

Options
I'm used to working out in the afternoons and there were times I would do doubles and would get up at 5 am. I don't have that luxury anymore and I would have to get up at 4 am to work out if I did it in the morning. I am considering it because it would allow more time for other things later in the day on some days and others i'm exhausted after working 13 hours. Although I would only get 4 hours of sleep 2-3 times out of the week if I did. What are your guys' thoughts on that? I know sleep is very important, but i dont get enough anyway, so it wouldn't make a difference haha! Just curious on your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

- Bry -

Replies

• StacyPervis
    Options
    I have the same issue. I have to get up at 5:30 am to get to work. I do get home by 4 though. I run outside and at 4:30 it's too damn hot in Texas. I pick my 6 yr old up after school and have dinner with family. Bath for the kiddo and by that time it's 7:30. My time to go out for 1:15-1:30. I'd like to do it in the morning but it's so hard to Graf my butt out of bed earlier. I'll stick to my regiment for now.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I workou at 6am abd do a mini workout at 6pm.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I get up at 5:30 am and run 4 days a week...strength train when I can on off days and in the eves. My morning runs are the best time I have without interruption (and I work 12-13 hrs a day, too). I used to run in the eves and would stress all day long about how/when/where I was going to get my run in. Now I know I'm done for the day and feel good all day about what I did.

But hey, also remember sleep is a very important part of losing weight....maybe you should try to get more sleep. Since you already said that you don't get enough as it is, then losing even more sleep is not a great idea.
  • zillmerm
    zillmerm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I workout from 5:30pm to about 7ish every night and although it does suck doing workouts on Friday nights from time to time, I value sleep so much more. You run low on energy from lack of sleep and you're workouts will suffer and so will your motivation. Some days I workout early in the morning(Sunday @ 7am ish) and I find it a pain in the *kitten* to be able to eat, wait to take my PWO and start a workout before it's already mid morning.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I haven't recently but need to start....right now I'm just counting calories. I'm a Phlebetomist so I'm on my feet running back and forth, packing supplies, unpacking supplies all day long....but that's no excuse, I know. I do prefer evening if I DO workout though.
  • elizabethmae1214
    Options
    I'm all over the place. Today I worked out from 4-6 pm but other days I get up early, or go on my lunch break. I really want to get in the habit of making mornings my time but it's so hard for me to fall asleep before 12-1am. I think sleep is extremely important though. I wouldn't cut my sleep down to anything below 6 hours if I want to have a decent workout and day. I'm a hairstylist and I'm on my feet all day, if I sacrifice too much sleep I feel it ALL DAY LONG. I hope you can figure out a way to get the rest and still maintain the schedule.
  • davidcw305
    Options
    During the week I'm working at between 6:15am-6:30am. That works best for me with my work schedule, On the weekends I try to get it in early in the day. I don't sleep well either. I can relate to want you're dealing with.
  • delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    have to be to work at 7:30 so im at the gym by 5:30 for a 30min- hr workout then i workout for another hr in the afternoon
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I usually work out anytime after 7pm. I'm not a morning person but tryyying to wake up earlier!! I will do doubles if I have time. I only run aftter getting burnt out on DVDs :sad:
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I work out on weekdays from 5-6 am. Weekends are whenever I can fit them in depending on what is going on at that time.I prefer mornings.
  • ItIsJessMe
    ItIsJessMe Posts: 19
    Options
    I get up at 6 but it's not to work out, I get the kids up, make breakfast, try to get my husband up, make his breakfast, etc. I drive the kids to school at 7:45 and by 8:25 I'm either at the gym or on an outdoor run. Depending on the day I run 60-100 minutes, then head home and am at my desk (I work from home) shortly afterwards.

i don't eat in the morning, I just have a handful of walnuts and some coffee when I wake up. So when I get back from my run and shower I have breakfast, that's usually around 11, so lunch is around 3pm.

My kids go to bed late, around 9 pm, so I couldn't work out after that, I'd skip it half the time. This schedule works well for me, I've only missed about 5 days since Jan. 2011.
  • rherington
    rherington Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I get up at 3:30 and start working out about 4. I work out at home and it just feels good to get it done. Starts the day off right. I have to be to work at 6:30. It is not hard to get up that early; I wake up about every 3 hours so I just go to bed so I time getting up around then. :)
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    Early afternoon, about an hour after breakfast!
  • dixeyk
    dixeyk Posts: 20
    Options
    Most days between 6-7:30 after I fix my sons's dinner and while he is doing his homework. I'm just outside on the back patio so I'm there if he needs homework help. He knows to come signal me because I usually have music going and headphones on. About twice a week during the day at the gym on campus so I get some time on the heavy bag.
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    5:15AM... get it out of the way before I get too lazy later on :)
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Most days I do a 3+ mile walk at noon, strength, cardio or zumba in the evenings after work and when I get home I do 30 minutes of whatever Jillian Michaels Video I'm doing. Weekends things get a bit mixed up, but includes, zumba, the bike path and Jillian. I fit things in as time allows, but I always make sure to get something done on a weekend . Maybe one rest day/week and it varies when it is.
  • stefanieceleste0530
    stefanieceleste0530 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Depends on my schedule, but the one time I NEVER work out is early in the morning. I am not a morning person and have a hard enough time getting out of bed to go to work ...I'm a slow starter in the morning also, so it's just not happening. I also tend to actually feel physically sick to my stomach when I get up too early.
  • heartofdorkness
    Options
    I am NOT a morning person in the slightest, so I don't get up earlier than necessary to get to work on time. Depending on my shift, I'm home anytime between 6-10pm, so my workouts usually run pretty late in the day. On my days off, I try to aim for early-to-mid afternoon. Granted, I work a retail job that keeps me on my feet all day and includes the occasional heavy lifting/carrying, so work is sometimes a super-long workout itself.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I average 5 hours of sleep a night.

wake up at 7:30ish with my two kids.........watch them all day, work from 4p-12a
    workout from 1230a-130a sleep from 2:30ish am to 7:30ish am.

rinse repeat.
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    So many responses! I love it! Well there was a time when id wake up at 5 am, workout, go to work by 8, then workout again around 4:30pm. Now I have to be to work at 6:45 and I have a 45 minute drive. I do p90x workouts so I have to allow at LEAST an hour for the workout. So i would have to start by 4:30 am in order to workout and get ready for work. I may start that later on this week and see how it goes. Waking up early used to come easy to me, but not so much anymore. Not a morning person at all!

Its fun to see how and when people workout. Thanks for the responses everyone. :)