Bad mom......

Options
Haha! Just had a coworker tell me that I was neglecting my kids because I don't have a TV in the house. Apparently she thinks that in order for my children to be well informed they HAVE to watch TV.

I was speechless.

Is it really that unusual to not have a tv?

Replies

• Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    It is pretty unusual not to have a TV nowadays lol. You can learn from television but most people just tend to sit in front of it for hours a day watching rubbish (bit like myself lol). So definitely don't think it does any harm not to have a TV as you can replace it with books, get your news from the internet or newspapers and get outside and get fresh air. Might think about cutting down on the TV :laugh:
  • Hikaru37
    Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    She's ridiculous for calling you that
    You're not unusual, she's just a dilhole
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    One of the most STUPIDEST statements I think Ive ever heard. Bravo to you for not having one in your house!!!!
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    its odd but its not a must have lol you get some good documentaries if its about being informed but iv a friend who never had a tv growing up shes fine and normal infact just finised + passed a degree in marine biology and is moving on to veterinary nursing now :)
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Unusual yes but good on you! Stick to your guns, kids don't need TV. When I was a kids my dad got so sick of us fighting over the TV and saying "but it's my favourite programme" that he cut the plug off the TV for 6 months - was so much better for us as a family, we read, played board games, made models and certainly didn't suffer. I try to limit my kids TV viewing but it is really easy to plonk them in front of it when you need a break LOL

Definitely have the good Mom vote from me :)
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Wouldnt the kids be more happier?
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    There a lots of folks who don't have a T.V. I think your co-worker may be deflecting her guilt onto you. Don't let others dictate their lifestyle, norms, etc onto you. Unless you are to your kids, then you have something to worry about.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    also when I have kids they will not be set in front of a tv or game station they will get books and toys and told to play outside when its nice like you should do! I never wanted to watch tv when I was small unless it was raining ((( how the times have changed lol)))
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    You might be raising children that are at their correct weight and actually have an imagination. Good for YOU!:smile:
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    She's ridiculous for calling you that
    You're not unusual, she's just a dilhole

dilhole - :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • HannahsReturnToFitness
    Options
    My parents have never had a tv and I lived fine without one. It wasn't until I moved in with my partner and his TV that there was a TV in the house. I HATE having one. It takes over and bores me to tears.

I don't like my daughter growing up with the TV on all the time.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    We don't have tv, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Well, I should clarify: we do own a tv, but do not receive any reception to it...we use it to watch dvds occassionally. Can't say I miss it, and my kids don't, either.
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    good on you for not having one, its utter rubbish, they are the centre of attention in houses, its a shame! x
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    I the words of Joey from "friends" what does your furniture point to ??

only joking I don't think not having a tv makes you a bad mum at all. I still have TV but got rid of cable because I was watching too much!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    If anything I would imagine not having a TV would be harder on you as a parent,

"She is talking out her a*s". Well done you you should be proud of yourself
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! We had a TV when I was growing up but we didn't really watch it. Instead my parents sent me outside and took me to museums, the zoo, lectures etc, and made sure I had a full bookcase and took the time to educate me on everything from how to make gunpowder (thanks dad) to binary (thanks dad) to the structure of the brain (thanks mother). If that's neglect, it's freakin' aces - I had a sleepover in the Science Museum!!!!!!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    My kids live in two households. Our house, no TV or electronics other than computers, and only for work or research projects. Other house? They get a cold, they get a Wii. It's raining outside, they get a DS something or the other. The sun came out? They get an iPod. You get the idea. They LOVE going to the other house to play with their games, but they LOVE being able to play card games, go bike riding, and sitting talking with use too. In preparing for a week long road trip on an RV I went to the library and got all kinds of different books (about 30 in all) for all of us. Afterwards, when given the option of taking their electronic games also, they chose to leave them behind and actually survived the whole week unplugged. I have nothing against the electronic things. But since I only get my kids 50% of the time, I soak them up. So yup, I am a bad mom....PROUDLY!!!
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Wouldnt the kids be more happier?

I'm not a parent but I understand that what makes kids happy is stimulation - it doesn't matter if it comes from TV, parents, toys, books, other kids, etc. Not having a TV does provide more of an opportunity for parents to interact with their kids through means other than yelling at them to turn the TV off and do their homework, etc, which was definitely a feature of my childhood.
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    i wish i could get rid of mine... it is a time suck. but my husband won't let me.. :(
    i would also get rid of lots of other time sucks as well.