US immigration and the ridiculousness of it all

Options
13»

Replies

• CorrieV1976
    CorrieV1976 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I wish the US government can read your post. No wonder why there are so many who are crossing the border illegally. Personally I feel for these people because I know how difficult it is to get a US visa. For non-citizens like us, we have to pass thru a needle hole just to get one, so sad but true :(

EDIT: I forgot to add that we need to have big bucks for that which unfortunately the majority of us don't have.

I totally agree -- the system is VERY broken, and seems to almost encourage people to give up before the process is complete (they run out of funds to continue, or the means to keep attending hearings that are hours away from their homes), or remain illegal. And yet, most of the people I know that are illegal are the hardest working and most dedicated people I've ever met.

We have a very close friend from Mexico who has lived here for 16 years, and has been married to an American woman for most of that time. His wife suffers from MS, and he was also told that if she died before his green card was granted, he would basically be shackled and deported -- because at her death, he's no longer "married to an American citizen." He has spent the last 7 years slogging through the legal system with people like us testifying and doing paperwork at each step, and his green card is still being delayed by the government.

Even the judge hearing his case has told the government lawyer she is "tired of the government's delays" and wants to grant the green card. However, if she does this, the government can then hold him up in the appeals process for 3 or 4 years afterward -- something his lawyer does not want to subject him to. So we are still waiting.

This man works harder than anyone, has amazing carpentry and renovation skills, and has helped support his wife's (now grown) children and grandchildren all along the way. He takes care of her when she can't even get out of bed. He helps anyone who needs it, anytime.

Meanwhile, there is a house next door to us that has been rented multiple times to families born and raised here in the U.S. Each family has been unemployed, raising multiple children on assistance (and little supervision), and we've had multiple calls for domestic violence and a SWAT team drug raid in the middle of the night.

Go ahead and ask me who I think should stay in this country, and who I think could be shipped somewhere else. It's an easy answer for me. Because it should be about who you are inside, not where you come from, that makes the difference.

Incredible! What a slap in the face! TOTAL INJUSTICE!
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I totally agree -- the system is VERY broken, and seems to almost encourage people to give up before the process is complete (they run out of funds to continue, or the means to keep attending hearings that are hours away from their homes), or remain illegal. And yet, most of the people I know that are illegal are the hardest working and most dedicated people I've ever met.

We have a very close friend from Mexico who has lived here for 16 years, and has been married to an American woman for most of that time. His wife suffers from MS, and he was also told that if she died before his green card was granted, he would basically be shackled and deported -- because at her death, he's no longer "married to an American citizen." He has spent the last 7 years slogging through the legal system with people like us testifying and doing paperwork at each step, and his green card is still being delayed by the government.

Even the judge hearing his case has told the government lawyer she is "tired of the government's delays" and wants to grant the green card. However, if she does this, the government can then hold him up in the appeals process for 3 or 4 years afterward -- something his lawyer does not want to subject him to. So we are still waiting.

This man works harder than anyone, has amazing carpentry and renovation skills, and has helped support his wife's (now grown) children and grandchildren all along the way. He takes care of her when she can't even get out of bed. He helps anyone who needs it, anytime.

Meanwhile, there is a house next door to us that has been rented multiple times to families born and raised here in the U.S. Each family has been unemployed, raising multiple children on assistance (and little supervision), and we've had multiple calls for domestic violence and a SWAT team drug raid in the middle of the night.

Go ahead and ask me who I think should stay in this country, and who I think could be shipped somewhere else. It's an easy answer for me. Because it should be about who you are inside, not where you come from, that makes the difference.

I think there are several situations like this that are a major injustice. If this man is trying to do the right thing and become legal, then the government should reward that. There are too many illegals out there that are gaining benefit after benefit and have no intention at all of ever becoming legal. Every situation is different. I get very angry at the thought of people wanting to live in this country and take advantage of all it has to offer but NEVER give back, never learn the language and never even attempt to do it the right way. People are so dishonest and greedy and that is what I would like to see a stop to. Whether it's putting a stop the illegals that are causing issues or the Americans that are being worthless leeches. If you are not willing to contribute the goodness and generosity of this country, then you are only crippling it.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options

I agree - I wish it was that easy (subjectivity in these situations is nearly impossible).

Heck, I know that generally some around my neighborhood aren't here legally but not only do they work and support their family (usually extended - either in house or by sending money) they are also tax-paying individuals - can't say for sure on work income, but of course sales tax and (inadvertently, via rent) property taxes..
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I wish there were more people like you who take the appropriate steps to become a citizen of this "great country". But this country is going down the crapper so fast its not even funny. Our government is corrupt and does NOT act for the good of the citizens, but only for the good of the money in their pocket. Wish you the best of luck, although... are you sure you want to come back now??
    Hope you can get this all taken care of! And it doesn't cost you and arm and a leg!!
  • CorrieV1976
    Options
    For those of you who do not understand why I am so upset over this let me explain it a different way:

Currently as is my biological son has no right to the US. If he goes to Canada to visit his father (which he does consistently) and I bring him back US Customs CAN or HAS THE RIGHT to deny him access to be on US Soil. My biological son who I have custody of can not return to my home if CBP so chooses to refuse him. I am re-married to an american citizen, I am an american citizen I work in the US , I live in the US but my son always has the chance that he will be denied entry and the only people who can stop that possible situation are my parents....If it was your child wouldn't that piss you off?
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    $450 just to change my married name on my green card. I refused to do it....but now I cannot renew my drivers license until I get it updated.

Yes, immigration sucks.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I wish there were more people like you who take the appropriate steps to become a citizen of this "great country". But this country is going down the crapper so fast its not even funny. Our government is corrupt and does NOT act for the good of the citizens, but only for the good of the money in their pocket. Wish you the best of luck, although... are you sure you want to come back now??
    Hope you can get this all taken care of! And it doesn't cost you and arm and a leg!!

This.

When I got my citizenship, it was such a hassle and it was $$. This was way pre-9/11 so it wasn't nearly as terrible as it is now but I sure don't miss whole days at the INS office in Sacramento:grumble:

And the only reason I was born in Mexico is cuz Mom was told I wasn't going to be normal, because she was "elderly" at 39. OMG. So she went back to Monterrey to give birth with her family with her, in case I was going to be disabled. Jeez.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    all countries have immigration hassles like that. costs hundreds of dollars to get a visa anywhere. sorry that happened - but that's just what they feel like they have to do to get a control on illegal immigration

Yeah or so that's what they thought. They don't realize that their very same control measure motivates more people to migrate illegally. I have some friends who are illegals and according to them, money & the forever waiting line are the main reasons why they just opted to settle illegally. Life back home is already too tough, no employment opportunities for them so you can't blame them too. Have you ever encountered a rich illegal immigrant? I bet not. The difference between US and in other countries is that the processing isn't as complicated as the one in US immigration visa. There is always a long queue involved unlike in other countries. That & having no big bucks to boot.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

I get that after 9-11 they are more weary and in some cases 100% should be, but for every day US Citizens...come on!!!!!
    Define every day US citizens please. I would love to know that definition.

I am sorry that this happened to you. I really am but truth to the matter is that many worst things happen day to day.

I got held up at the arport for 48 hours for having a Muslim name. I suppose thats what you're referring to when you say non-every day US citizens?

I literally was mindf***ed after I came back from my mothers funeral in Asia. That was fun

Edit: I do sympathize. As somebody who had to go through alot of these troubles, I donot wish these troubles on anyone else. I just hope you realize how simple your trouble is compared to many other troubles alot of immigrants face
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I wish the US government can read your post. No wonder why there are so many who are crossing the border illegally. Personally I feel for these people because I know how difficult it is to get a US visa. For non-citizens like us, we have to pass thru a needle hole just to get one, so sad but true :(

EDIT: I forgot to add that we need to have big bucks for that which unfortunately the majority of us don't have.

A similar situation happened with my aunt from Canadian, some paper work got messed up but anytime the judge okay-ed something in her favor the prosecutors would just appeal it. Took several years and close to 5k in fees and processing before everything was straighten out. Each time she had to go to court on the manner, she was always notify that if it didn't go in her favor that she would be deported right on spot so it was a pretty hectic time. Sadly, if gay marriage was legal here this probably wouldn't been an issue but since she can't marry she could not get a citizenship or whatever that way even though she's been with her partner for over 30 years.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

But if you are not a citizen of ANY Country, there is no RIGHT to give you status to come into that country. The OP was talking about status of a Citizen, and passing that to her children. Inability to get legal papers is not the reason for illegal migration, nor is it a justified excuse.

What the US Gov't is "trying" to do is to limit Illegal Immigration by limiting status via children born in the USA for THAT purpose. The reason it can come via Grand parents is because they are "grandfathered" in so to speak.

I know that but what I mean is that system on immigration procedures have so much injustices. Non-citizens I mean like someone who applies for a US immigration visa in his country of origin, the process is taking forever and worse if you ran out of money because of that. The immigration system really needs a change if they want to control illegal immigrants.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options

With all due respect to my many American friends, your government has its panties in a knot over immigration, and even visiting. Canadians now have to carry a passport to enter the US, even for the millions of day trips we take a year to go shopping in border town malls.

Americans need a passport or travel card to get into Canada as well. A couple years ago I had to jump a bunch of hoops to get my kid ready to go to Canada, so I know its not just the US.

http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatraveloverview/qt/uscitizenborder.htm
  • CorrieV1976
    Options

With all due respect to my many American friends, your government has its panties in a knot over immigration, and even visiting. Canadians now have to carry a passport to enter the US, even for the millions of day trips we take a year to go shopping in border town malls.

Americans need a passport or travel card to get into Canada as well. A couple years ago I had to jump a bunch of hoops to get my kid ready to go to Canada, so I know its not just the US.

http://gocanada.about.com/od/canadatraveloverview/qt/uscitizenborder.htm

This is incorrect - Canadian Customs abide by the US passport law but it is NOT required to get in to Canada. Some Officers will uphold it but I have friends in Canadian Immigration and every one of them will tell you this is a US law
  • CorrieV1976
    Options

I get that after 9-11 they are more weary and in some cases 100% should be, but for every day US Citizens...come on!!!!!
    Define every day US citizens please. I would love to know that definition.

I am sorry that this happened to you. I really am but truth to the matter is that many worst things happen day to day.

I got held up at the arport for 48 hours for having a Muslim name. I suppose thats what you're referring to when you say non-every day US citizens?

I literally was mindf***ed after I came back from my mothers funeral in Asia. That was fun

Edit: I do sympathize. As somebody who had to go through alot of these troubles, I donot wish these troubles on anyone else. I just hope you realize how simple your trouble is compared to many other troubles alot of immigrants face

I was referring to the people that come in to this country and cause havoc. No one race , no one religion, all people in general, I think that racial profiling is sick and unjust and crossing the border constantly as I do makes me sick to witness it. Yes there are many bigger problems in this world and what I have to go through is minimal compared to most however what I have to go through is no less important , I did not immigrate to the US I was born here and telling me that if my son visits his father in Canada I am taking the risk of not being able to get him back to my home because he has no legal claim to the US through me is not right and could be a bigger problem than paying a few hundred more, but again it is the principle of it.
  • Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    sorry i am just not understanding why you are so mad... if its as easy as getting your parents to give him citizenship then instead of putting all your energy into complaining about something you can't change just get them to give him citizenship and be done with it. who cares if it costs $600 thats not very much and if its something that is important to you then just DO IT! If i was wanting to live in another country with my children i would pay any amount of money to get them the citizenship they need... the last thing you want is for them to get into any kind of trouble and then be deported to the other country and never be allowed back (have seen this happen to a jamaican friend of my boyfriends who lived in canada his whole life but he stupid mother didn't get him citizenship and now he has to live in Jamaica and is never allowed back into canada) So just get the citizenship even if it costs a few extra hundred dollars, whats the big deal? America has stupid laws... i have never seen one that i thought "hey thats a good idea i wish canada did that too!!!" LOL you are choosing to live there with your children so just get the citizenship and be done with it.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    sorry i am just not understanding why you are so mad... if its as easy as getting your parents to give him citizenship then instead of putting all your energy into complaining about something you can't change just get them to give him citizenship and be done with it. who cares if it costs $600 thats not very much and if its something that is important to you then just DO IT! If i was wanting to live in another country with my children i would pay any amount of money to get them the citizenship they need... the last thing you want is for them to get into any kind of trouble and then be deported to the other country and never be allowed back (have seen this happen to a jamaican friend of mine who lived in canada his whole life but he stupid mother didn't get him citizenship and now he has to live in Jamaica and is never allowed back into canada) So just get the citizenship even if it costs a few extra hundred dollars, whats the big deal? America has stupid laws... i have never seen one that i thought "hey thats a good idea i wish canada did that too!!!" LOL you are choosing to live there with your children so just get the citizenship and be done with it.

I think she has the right to be angry and frustrated. You are not taking into consideration all the time and hastle she has gone through to this point and it can get very frustrating and overwhelming. It's not just as easy as you make it sound. She now has to rely on others in order to make this happen and if by some chance her parents drag their feet or do not cooperate for any reason then it just gets more frustrating. It's not just an easy fix as you may think it is. The government ALWAYS comes up with more and more ways to make it harder for people to do things the right and legal way.