Too big to exercise?

Options

Replies

• Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I started my journey at 260 pounds. I agree it was quite difficult to exercise but I just kept pushing. I started out doing 15 minutes then increased every few days. Now the same machine that I was going to fall off of and die is a piece of cake. I’m also able to run, which I couldn’t do before. Exercise is easier at 202 pounds, but I still have to push myself.

Its mind over matter. Don’t let some blogger tell you XYZ.. you CAN do it! You just have to be determined and focused!
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't really excersize...

Kind of.

I have always been a big walker. Even when I was closer to 300 pounds I walked 4 miles a day. So I just keep that up. I haven't really changed the amount I walk. I am just concentrating on eating right. I figure 4 miles a day is okay. I might start jogging in another 10 pounds or so... who knows.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Sounds like walking and swimming are the way to go for now. Keep us posted how it goes! Good luck! ^_^
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Start walking. I was just like you, could barely exercise for more than a few minutes. A year later, I am running around the gym!
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    i am a large gal and just before i start my journey to better health and weight loss (2weeks ago) i spoke with my doctor and he told me to start off with those baby steps. . . which for me is just moving right now. . . i run errands and park the car furthest away from the door, etc. i also walk outside just about 15 minutes to start. i am doing this for three weeks then increasing by 5 minutes each week there after.

i was told not to get into cario, aerobic type exercise until i had lost more weight. i am going to the pool this morning to walk the 'lazy river' this is where you walk in a big circle against the current. that is supposed to be a good little workout for someone like me.

if you can, go to your doctor otherwise start out slow (baby steps) and just work up to where you want to be.

here's to you and your good health :flowerforyou:
  • shaelataylor
    shaelataylor Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i was over 280 pounds and started with walking. after i had lost 20 or so i started the c25k so i was running at 260 some pounds. is it easy? no, but it can be done. if heavy cardio is too much, try just brisk walks or something like swimming.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Speak to your doctor if you think it is risking your health.

Perhaps there is some other type of exercise you could start with that will help build up your endurance until you can sustain a good cardio workout. You have to figure out what works for you.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    If you start off slow you can build up to it.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I would say talk to your Doctor, follow his guidance and have the mindset that you CAN do this!

I was almost 300 pounds when I started and I started by walking 30 minutes a day and slowly increased my time on the treadmill. Now I mainly work out on the elliptical and jog/run anywhere from 5 to 10 miles a day....
  • lbigham1
    lbigham1 Posts: 132
    Options
    It's wonderful that you're adding exercise to your routine. Good for you! You'd be surprised at the rusults walking will give you. You will build up distance in no time. Water aerobics is another great option. - Good luck!
  • MandaPaigeSparkles88
    MandaPaigeSparkles88 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    When I first started walking on a treadmill I would take it slowly and walk a mile every day on it, and build myself up to do more. It took a long time for me to build my self up to where I am now. I currently walk on the treadmill between 50 minutes to an hour a day, sometimes longer depending on whether or not I want to stop. But I would start out slow and before you do please talk to a doctor. The heaviest I have been ever in my life is 311lbs that was after my divorce. I am now down to 275lbs with a long way to go. Just keep it up consult a doctor and take it slowly!!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    2 things like others have told you: I would consult with your dr first to get his/her recommendations. Second, I didn't start exercising until AFTER I had my eating habits under control. I was almost 200 lbs (on a 5'3" frame) when I started losing weight. I started my journey in Sept 2010, and I didn't start exercising until Jan or Feb of 2011. Then, I started with 30-day shred - it was very brutal, and I could barely walk for about 2 weeks, but it was wonderful with amazing results. In the meantime if you want to do some form of exercise, I would start with simple walking. Any form of exercise is better than anyone still sitting on the couch - that is my motto. Proud of you for trying to get healthy!!!
  • lisaishotpink
    Options
    I weighed 301 when I started, and I did 30 minutes on our elliptical every day in the beginning. Then I added Zumba about a month later, as well as Tae Bo. Then about 2 months ago I started 30 Day Shred. I see no reason for overweight people to not do cardio! I have lost 44 pounds with heavy cardio and dropped lots of inches, and I no longer have to use my inhaler! Don't let anyone tell you that you're too large for any exercise! There were moments of discomfort, but without those moments I wouldn't be where I am today. Good luck, you know what your body can do.
  • AwesomeMoJo
    AwesomeMoJo Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    First off, always consult with a doctor about an exercise program and any potential issues. There might be underlying issues. Better to be safe than sorry.

With that said, I exercised at 350 by walking short distances and resting frequently. It takes a while but you will build an endurance. Important thing is to stick with it.

I am with Matt 100% on this. Before I joined this site I lost 60lbs on my own. I started with walking 10 minutes at a time. It doesnt help that i have pretty bad asthma....not only did I start losing weight but it also increased my lung capacity and now I only need my inhaler when I do Xumba or anything that high impact of a workout. You can do it.

But always check with your doc...you may have valid healthe reasons for the difficulty....
  • helenmc40
    helenmc40 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    See your doctor and also remember to set goals that are reachable. Maybe start your workouts by walking for 10-15 mins EVERY DAY. Once you are comforatable with his, increase the minutes you walk till you are at 60 mons a day. Remember you have to walk before you can run!!

Leave the 30day shred till you have been walking for about a month, you will be surprised at how quickly your endurance builds up.

Take it slow, the weight did not come on in 30 days, so it will take time to come off.

But make sure you speak to your doctor and see what they say!

Good luck
  • chickenrider
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I'll definitely see a doctor soon to see what I should be doing. I've tried a variety of things, never lasting more than a day or two on each: 30 day shred, couch to 5k plan, various workout videos. I think I'm trying to do too much too fast because I never exercised AT ALL. I'm going to start just walking and building up my endurance for other things.

Bingo! Even though I just joined MFP last week, my actual highest weight was 398! I am only 5'4'. I am now 326 and only recently have I been able to actually go to a gym to use the equipment. My advice, watch every bite you eat, drink tons of water and just walk. When I would go somewhere people would be amazed that I was only losing weight by walking, but it works. Once you get to a workable level, start small and do little exercises.

You are right, alot of cardio, C25K and 30 day shred are only going to upset you because physically you can not do them. Do not set yourself up to fail...You are doing great, just start putting one foot in front of the other my friend :) I still have a long way to go and I still walk every day and once in a while I do the gym...
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I started off with Leslie Sansome. I've got dodgy joints and wanted something low impact. Her videos are basically just variations of marching on the spot, but I think they're brilliant for beginners, especially if you're larger.

I agree with the others about seeing your doctor.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I started about 344 and the first month or so, just ate less. Then I began a mild exercise program and built into it. Now it is usually at least an hour on the treadmill up to an incline of 15 @ times and strength training. You are NOT too big to exercise IF you can get up out of your chair and move. Start slow though... Begin by walking. If you can do 2 minutes at a more rapid pace do it BUT do it often... Like several times per day or session. The c 2 5K program (couch to 5 K) uses this technique. It uses walking together with like 30 second bursts with a gradual increase. (I don't do that program but agree with its concept... perhaps I will some time)... Endurance is something that you will have to build into. As for seeing your doctor... ABSOLUTELY. In fact, you probably need to see him/her for guidance on your weight loss anyway but before doing ANY kind of exercise program... This is especially true if you have joint issues, heart issues, diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. There are some things that they may tell you to do or not do. The key to success with exercise though is to do what you can do now... Push yourself just a little bit and gradually (won't take as long as you think)... you will be able to do more and more. I used to have problems with my right knee due to some injuries I had sustained a few years back... It would bother me any time I got out of a chair when I was 344 lbs. I can now leg press 420 lbs and leg extension @ 165. Over time, even joints will thank you for not being overweight. But a trip to the doctor is best before you start.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    try leslie sansone's walk away the pounds dvds. its a great program for people who have a lot to loose.
  • helenmc40
    helenmc40 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Apologies for my spelling!! I am working on very little sleep today and should have read my post before posting :laugh: