Treadmill or out doors?

Options
13»

Replies

• placebomonkey
    placebomonkey Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    ...when it rains I can always find an inside stairwell...

Why not just keep running? You are going to shower when you get done anyway, right? Rain is only water. :)

I really love getting caught out in rain it's so refreshing :D
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Outdoors > Indoors

Nuff said.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are saying calorie count on an elliptical is lower than running outside, but basing it on assumption. Using an HRM, my calorie burn on the elliptical is the same as running outside. It's low-impact, so you don't feel like you're working as hard as you actually are.
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    Depends on the weather. I like having the option of either!
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are saying calorie count on an elliptical is lower than running outside, but basing it on assumption. Using an HRM, my calorie burn on the elliptical is the same as running outside. It's low-impact, so you don't feel like you're working as hard as you actually are.

I am a new, SLOW and still obese runner (Clydesdale) and despite the difficulty in building up to my current 2.5 mi training runs, I will tell you that I think there is just something about running that the elliptical or treadmill just does not provide. Call me a masochist, but I am more than willing to endure the knee, ankle, back and neck pain/ soreness for the pleasure of completing a run when 6 months ago I could not run at all. This is for me only and I am not calling elliptical work any less important, but there is something about running!
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I started doing C25K on the treadmill during the winter. As it became warmer, I decided to take it outside. I had to go back a couple of weeks on the program to get my body used to it, so I think it is quite a bit harder to run outside. Now that I am running more and longer distances, I will run outside versus on a treadmill any day.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I am a new, SLOW and still obese runner (Clydesdale) and despite the difficulty in building up to my current 2.5 mi training runs, I will tell you that I think there is just something about running that the elliptical or treadmill just does not provide. Call me a masochist, but I am more than willing to endure the knee, ankle, back and neck pain/ soreness for the pleasure of completing a run when 6 months ago I could not run at all. This is for me only and I am not calling elliptical work any less important, but there is something about running!
    I agree. But we're talking calorie count and it's the same.

Also, from experience, the elliptical works muscles running doesn't (and vice versa) and is a great way to build endurance.
  • sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    I have always done the eliptical or treadmill at the gym. I wanted to change things up so I bought a GREAT pair of running shoes and I began to jog (5MPH) outside. Well my thighs were sooooo sore after a cuple of days I could hardly walk, it was a good kind of sore- not an injury...I was just wondering, am I getting a better work out when I jog outside? The eliptical claims to burn more calories but I have never felt so worked as I do after jogging.

p.s I took 2 days off because of the soreness, and got right back to it :)

outside >>>>> inside. Period. No matter what.

THIS!

I started running on a treadmill last year. Granted, it definitely improved my fitness & stamina, but since I started running outdoors in March this year I have never looked back - and I can't bear to run on the treadmill anymore!!
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I burn the most outside, according to my HRM. I tend to get a bit lazy on the elliptical though, with intervals of pushing really hard and then just moving for a bit. Running keeps my heart rate high, and I can more easily change my pacing to achieve my heart rate goal. It's much harder, especially if I am running on sidewalks instead of a track, but I agree that it's more stimulating than on a treadmill.