Should I Stop Jogging?

Options
Okay I know this is really a decision only I can make, but some input would be appreciated! In the middle of February, I started the C25K. I completed it around the beginning of May. I've still been jogging 2 to 3 times a week, just working on speed. However, I DESPISE jogging! I really cant stand it. I find it boring and I stare at the clock just waiting to be done (that's only one reason I don't like it, so I don't need ideas on how to make it less boring...I've tried everything anyway). The benefits are undeniable. I can tell I've toned up all over (legs, thighs, lower belly etc), and I thank the program for that. My problem is now, if I know I'm about to jog, I often drive right pass the gym! I dread it so much, that I haven't been going as often. My worry is that if I give up the jogging, the benefits I received from it will disappear! I don't want to go backwards fitness wise. I don't mind the elliptical or anything else I do, it's just the jogging. Has anyone else stopped jogging and noticed a negative difference? Also, it's hard to give up on something that's taken me 4 months to get to. Before the program, I would have never attempted to jog 30 seconds, much less 30 minutes! Will my endurance be effected? If I do decide to take up jogging again in the future, will I have to start back at square one, even if I've been keeping myself fit other ways? I know there are a lot of people here that really enjoy jogging, so this may be hard to understand. Anyways, input is appreciated! :)

Replies

• legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Okay I know this is really a decision only I can make, but some input would be appreciated! In the middle of February, I started the C25K. I completed it around the beginning of May. I've still been jogging 2 to 3 times a week, just working on speed. However, I DESPISE jogging! I really cant stand it. I find it boring and I stare at the clock just waiting to be done (that's only one reason I don't like it, so I don't need ideas on how to make it less boring...I've tried everything anyway). The benefits are undeniable. I can tell I've toned up all over (legs, thighs, lower belly etc), and I thank the program for that. My problem is now, if I know I'm about to jog, I often drive right pass the gym! I dread it so much, that I haven't been going as often. My worry is that if I give up the jogging, the benefits I received from it will disappear! I don't want to go backwards fitness wise. I don't mind the elliptical or anything else I do, it's just the jogging. Has anyone else stopped jogging and noticed a negative difference? Also, it's hard to give up on something that's taken me 4 months to get to. Before the program, I would have never attempted to jog 30 seconds, much less 30 minutes! Will my endurance be effected? If I do decide to take up jogging again in the future, will I have to start back at square one, even if I've been keeping myself fit other ways? I know there are a lot of people here that really enjoy jogging, so this may be hard to understand. Anyways, input is appreciated! :)
    I guess another option would be to attempt to jog outside? I have decided that if I do stop jogging, I will be doing the 30 Day Shred DVD.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask if you had tried outside yet? I much would rahter be out than in the smelly guy.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness -- get your butt outside for your next run! The treadmill is awful in comparison.

If you still don't like it after a few runs outside, then go ahead and give it up. There are so many ways to get a good workout--no sense in sticking to one you hate!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Definitely give it a try outside. At first, I only ran on the treadmill but now I'm outside as much as possible. It's soooooooooo much better than running on a treadmill. I don't even need to listen to music while I'm running outside because there is so much other stuff to pay attention to. Find a nice park/lake/scenic route to run in and see if you enjoy the difference. I will say that running outside has its own set of challenges but it is not boring.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Running outside is so much fun....checking out the scenery and the women/guys. It is so much different compared to a treadmill...thats boring stuff
  • Becool75
    Becool75 Posts: 3
    Options
    I like you started and finished the C25k (best thing ever)and I also used to hate jogging on a treadmill. However this time I started running outside, and it has really helped. You can vary your routes, and it has a more pleasant view. The other side benefit is you can pick routes that force you to extend your running as you have gone so far and now have to get home. Using this technique I have gone from 5k to 10k.
  • paul_draper
    paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes, run outside. In the sun, the wind, the rain. Connect to the real world. You've gotten so far and it seems a shame to waste it.
  • legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! During the program, I did jog outside 3 times. I didn't like it because it was still in intervals and it was just annoying to pay attention to the time. Maybe now that I'm finished and can jog for a straight 30 minutes, it will make a difference. I will give it a shot this week and see how it goes! It's raining today...just my luck!
  • NevaStar
    NevaStar Posts: 9
    Options
    Yes run outdside ! Even if it's not on a cool trail or scenic area ! Around your neighborhood could be interesting ! And when you're outside I find check points that help me with speed. After every time i'm like how much faster can I get to this area or a specific item like a bench or mail box. And I think about it all day and I am excited for my next run than !
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    They don't call it the dreadmill for nothing. Get outside!
  • bottleblack
    Options
    Have you thought about signing up for a race? Sometimes having a goal is enough motivation to push yourself to improve or want to train with some frequency.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Give it a month of running outside and see what you think.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Treadmill blows. Jog outside, it keeps things interesting.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I can't do it on the treadmill. I have to do it outside! Put your headphones in and go! You can also download a zombie app for your phone to make it more fun!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about signing up for a race? Sometimes having a goal is enough motivation to push yourself to improve or want to train with some frequency.

Sound advice.
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    Try running outside and try signing up for a 5K race. :smile:
    Having a race to prepare for helps you focus and it is a lot of fun running with other people.
    I love the atmosphere before and after a race, it's really cool!
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    When I started jogging (as a sophomore in high school) I hated it and only did it because my friends were doing it. 15 years later as a 29 year old mom of 2, I LOVE jogging! Somewhere along the way, it grew on me and now it provides me with stress relief, time to think, time to spend with my friends. Most people I know who became runners did not enjoy it at first. I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

When I started I was running outside, running with friends, running with music occasionally, and I still didn't like the running part of it. Now I have completed two marathons and run half marathons routinely, but more importantly, it is FUN. It might take more time than you expected to grow to love it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually happens. Something about running, it's addictive after a while :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I guess another option would be to attempt to jog outside? I have decided that if I do stop jogging, I will be doing the 30 Day Shred DVD.

I was just about to ask if you were outdoors or in. When you said you drive by the gym, that's when I realized you were jogging indoors. Yuck!

I hate running too, and generally don't do it and jump rope or run sprint intervals instead. But there is no way I can run indoors, either on a treadmill or on one of those tracks inside the gym. BOOOOORING!!! I totlally agree with you. Why don't you run outside? It's so much better, plus you probably don't have to drive anywhere. Just get up from your house and go. Or find a nice spot on the way home from work. Fresh air, new people to check out, drivers, bikers and dogs to watch out for....it's just so much better. Night and day difference.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    You've done 4 months on just a TREADMILL?? How utterly boring. I can't stand 20mins, much less 4 months of it. I get horribly bored, too, and I love running. Get outside. Seriously. It makes a huge difference. And you'll get a better workout, because it'll be harder.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    1. Get outside like everyone else says
    2. Sign up for a race
    3. Have fun! Run at a park, run on a trail, run with a friend, say hi to your neighbors.
    4. Don't "jog" but run easily and with less effort.