Gym size discrimination

Options

Replies

• Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    The company can do whatever it wants, this just seems foolish.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    shouldn't it just be a weight loss clinic then? I don't understand what would happen after they lose the weight
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    On a long enough timeline, anyone that goes to gym will become "a skinny person"
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Weight discrimination of any kind is wrong...

I thought that the purpose of working out is to help us life a more healthy life...

I have to admit that I have been on both ends of the weight spectrum... 11 months ago, I weighed 393 lbs... This morning I weighed in at 186.2 lbs... I lost the weight in order to live longer -- not to get accepted by the messed up thing called American culture...
  • mon696
    mon696 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, before I joined the gym I was quite intimidated. I was afraid of the 'looks' or what have you. I even worked out at off peak times because I didn't want to see many people. I was morbidly obese when I started going and sure I experienced 'looks' but I think that a lot of the 'looks' were in my head. I felt gross and fat therefore if someone looked at me I assumed they were thinking what I felt. In reality, I can't read minds, I don't know what they were thinking. It may not have been a disgusted look at all, maybe they just happened to look my way. Granted, there are always childish and mean people out there (like the guy that threw out the term 'fattie,' thanks for that BTW:indifferent: ) and I am lucky I didn't experience anything more than percieved harrassment.

I think this might be the type of gym to get women started, lose a little weight, gain a little confidence and then join a more hardcore gym. Most of the intimidation of a gym comes from within the person, maybe this can be like a stepping stone or starting point. :flowerforyou:
  • brentdaniels
    brentdaniels Posts: 127
    Options
    The fit people at my gym motivate me to work harder....it is a ridiculous notion anyhow.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Don't agree with not allowing the skinny ones in. Anyone should be able to go to the gym. But, the reason I do not go to a gym anymore is because I was always the only fat one in there and got tired of the looks of disgust from others.

My gym is mostly overweight people and I'm the one getting looks of disgust. Or leers of lust from the bros in the weight room. But i go anyway, cuz I won't gain weight at home.
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    As someone who had the "fear" of going to the gym and being mocked/stared down etc, for being so big and out of shape, I can understand how this would make it comfortable for people. I don't see any problem with it, but like many of you, I question what happens when one is in shape and healthier? Where do you go from there?
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Don't they know its not the size of the Boat but the motion of the Ocean? Errrr wait.....wrong thread....Yikes this just got awkward
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    Am I seriously the only recovering fat girl who has NEVER been verbally abused while working out?

No, I have never had a problem either. And it keeps me motivated and my competitiveness comes out.......my fatness is my motivator to change, no matter who is around...skinny, fat, short, tall....it doesn't matter. I wouldn't last long at a gym like that....

I have never been either. And I have never noticed disparaging looks from people either. Or maybe I just don't notice, because, well I'm working out and stuff.

THESE!

Planet Fitness junkie here. Everyone to the super skinny to the supper big works out at the PF I go to. Although I'm busy working out and have the personality that I don't give a BLEEP what people say/think about me... nothing has been said to me, nor have I been given the evil eye. The skinny girls make me work harder, the bigger girls make me realize how far I've come as I cheer them on =)

I, also, have never been given so much as an awkward look. Perhaps I command respect :tongue: and look badass enough that people don't want to mess with me (doubtful). In fact I've gotten a lot of really encouraging comments, and a lot of compliments on my progress. Really I have never run into nasty people who are rude based on my weight really anywhere in life.

In regards to the subject at hand though, it's their right to have whatever clients they want, but I personally think it's a little off.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Am I seriously the only recovering fat girl who has NEVER been verbally abused while working out?

No, I have never had a problem either. And it keeps me motivated and my competitiveness comes out.......my fatness is my motivator to change, no matter who is around...skinny, fat, short, tall....it doesn't matter. I wouldn't last long at a gym like that....

I have never been either. And I have never noticed disparaging looks from people either. Or maybe I just don't notice, because, well I'm working out and stuff.

I honestly think a lot of it is in their head,its never happened to me either
  • Unknown
    Options
    They have an update to this original article here: http://blisstree.com/look/quit-expecting-body-equality-when-fat-only-gyms-are-such-a-double-standard-780/

Personally I think a gym should be for everyone.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I don't like the statement that they will bring down morale, but the gym should be allowed to choose whoever they want to cater to. Similarly, I wouldn't have a problem if a gym catered only to skinnier people (although I feel like that may be a stupid idea financially).

Discriminating against any paying customer is a stupid idea financially.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous. On the other hand I'm not sure who'd be offended exactly.

Lol this. Yea its discrimantion ... but hey if fatties wanna hang with only other fatties, remind me why i should care. Sounds like the gym would be filled with treadmills and crosstrainers anyway.

Oo 1st post. Back to the calorie counter for me...

Pretty sure comments like yours are the reason big people have anxiety about going to the gym... :noway:
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    So what happens? You're a "plus size" client, and you work out there for 2 years, drop a lot of weight, and now you look awesome... I guess they kick you out?
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion....

The way I see it, if this is pushing more "larger" people to get active and get to the gym then I fully support it, assuming the right supports are in place for their specific client base. I would hope that as part of that gym's service to their client, they will employ staff who have experience in helping these types of people with weight loss programmes and fitness regimens. This would make sense to then "ban" the "skinny" people, because the staff are experts in obsesity and diet and fitness for the largley overweight what help could they be to the "skinny" person wishing to lift heavier or run futher?

Boxing gyms are specifically designed around training a boxer, weight lifting gyms are designed around the weight lifters. This isn't discriminatory, these places are filling a training need (and a profitable gap in the market)

HOWEVER...

If this gym is basically just a gym, with regular gym staff and regular gym classes, then it does toe the line into discrimination.

No, it's not discrimination.
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    So...if you lose weight you get thrown out? I'm not sure I understand the concept, or rather, I'm not sure they thought this all the way through.

After you work out,you are supposed to go eat at the Steak and Shake behind the sauna.
  • To offer a different viewpoint. As a 'big girl', I've gone to the gym only to have fit women tell me I didn't belong there or some very snide comments at my lack of ability (as have many people on this site). It's soul crushing and demotivating. So, if I could go to workout at a place that offers the same amount of training, cardio and strength training, while being in an environment filled with people who have similar goals to mine as well as know the position I'm in, then I'd love to go. Especially when you start to see the people around you reach their goals. That would push me to continue to reach mine.

I think it's meant to be supportive. That and, when first working out, it can be intimidating getting on a treadmill for your cardio next to a ripped woman who is running like a cheetah at 18 mph.

Your 1st sentence is why I haven't been in a gym in over three years. I was there to work out, but for others I was there to make fun of. So I purchased some fitness DVDs and have been using my Wii to work out.
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Lol this. Yea its discrimantion ... but hey if fatties wanna hang with only other fatties, remind me why i should care. Sounds like the gym would be filled with treadmills and crosstrainers anyway.

[/quote]:frown:
    that is exactly why she started the business

I personally think its a wonderful idea, Just like Curves, the only difference is Curves didn't set a limit but it was designed for heavier women.
    Although I think its a great idea, I don't agree with putting down any other group , a compromise where they offer classes to fitter individuals would be good, but then it would alienate there target demographic.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I wish they had something like this here. I stopped going to my gym at the college because I would always get snide looks and remarks from the other girls there. It's probably due to a low maturity level of most college-goers at a private institution, but it's still disheartening to try and change your life, but hear, "Omg, that's so nasty, why is she even trying," when you're trying to do something for yourself.

EDIT: That's the reason I started running and doing everything solitary...

This is the exact reason this gym exists. Well, this and other snide comments folks have made in this very thread.