Running for overweight people: yay or nay?

Options
Rays_Wife
Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
Hello! I am interested in people's HONEST opinions and/or experiences, good or bad, about running while still 100 pounds overweight. The reason I am asking, is that I am on Week 6 Day 2 of C25K running program and having concerns about how this is affecting my joints. I am currently 240 pounds and 5'7 tall. I started the program at 249 pounds. Now I have sort of a bum left knee, it's bothered me for years now but ironically it's not the knee giving me trouble - recently I have been having small shooting pains in my right knee. My right knee has NEVER bothered me before. Is this normal? I also have issues with my left ankle locking up sometimes when running. Nothing painful but weird feeling and goes away in a few minutes if I take it easy. Yes I have been fitted for running shoes, been running in them for 4 weeks now. They are very comfortable!

I've had great success with the program so far, it has definitely been a challenge but nothing I couldn't handle. I used to run back in highschool when I was fit and I loved it. I am starting to love it again! I really would like to finish this program but not to the detriment of my joints :brokenheart: Should I stop and wait until I get more weight off and then go back to the program? Or just keep truckin' seeing how I am over half way through the program with no serious problems? I really don't wish to have any serious problems down the road from running while so overweight. Prior to running I did walking w/inclines and elliptical for my cardio. I also do strength training on my days off from running.

Thank you and of course I will be discussing this with my doctor soon, I just wanted to see what you all thought. I get the sense that there are people here who are hesitant to say anything negative about very overweight people running. Well I want to hear it all! No opinions flamed please :smile:

Replies

• HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see the responses from this as well. I'm dealing with almost the same issue and have been wondering if I should just stick to the elliptical and cut out the running I've been doing or to "tough it out".
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I think you have to take good care of yourself. I've run a 10k at 250lbs and I'm at 230 and training for a half marathon. skinnyemmie did a half at over 350 lbs.

Care for your joints, I find sports supplements (from the pharmacy) and joint care stuff helps, and knee supports if I have pain. I had to learn the difference between discomfort and pain as well. It's hardly surprising that I was in discomfort but I'm never in pain.

Stretch lots post run too.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body...and your doctor! I wasn't that heavy when I started running, so I don't have much more to offer. I wish you well!
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me no because he didn't want me to have problems with joint pain. I have a chronic case of tendonitis in one of my knees from a rugby injury years ago.
    Did I listen to my doc? Of course not. lol I just got a knee brace and made it work. Don't forget to ice! :D
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    and cross training, I do boot camp twice a week which has less running and more dynamic exercises, I cycle and swim. All of it helps my running without the impact.
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see what everyOne says as well. I just started c25k(on week 2 now) and I'm 230 and 5'3"
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    I started running at 275lbs. I'm currently around 260lbs. I run about every other day between 2 and 3 miles. Good shoes are a must. If you injured then take some time off. If your just sore then keep going. I have ran 2 5k's. last one was in 34 min 36 sec. So I obviously dont run real fast. But I can run an entire 5k without stoping. So I would say run if you can.
  • puppycloud
    puppycloud Posts: 42
    Options
    I started c25k at 220 pounds. I made sure to go to a running shoe store first, to get proper shoes for me. And I've had no trouble with my joints. As the program builds up the intensity slowly, your body gets used to running and you will manage more.

If you are really really concerned, go and talk to a doctor.

Ran 25 mins today straight, and I feel fine afterwards! Would never happen before c25k.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    The right knee is probably compensating for the left. Invest in some good knee braces, see your doctor, and follow his or her recommendations.For me, I'm waiting until I get under 200 before I start running again for the same reason; both knees hurt. Get some good running shoes for you.
  • Desika87
    Desika87 Posts: 111
    Options
    Hello there :-) I would discuss it with a doc as well... But my personal opinion is, maybe you can wear some "soft shell splint" for knees and ankles? Some years ago I dealed with a pretty persisting bursitis in my knee/shin and my doc told me to wear such a soft schell splint while playing volleyball... And it helped a lot because it fixed my joint and I felt save...
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My experience is that the running is just too heavy on your joints when you are overweight. I have switched to using a bike, and I'll keep doing that until my weight comes down sufficiently.
  • Bethee101
    Bethee101 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If you are really wanting to run then it is important to buy a really good pair of shoes. Do you have a specialty shop for runners where they can fit you with a pair? They cost a lot, but it won't cost as much as the damage you can do to your joints in the long run (sorry about the pun). Good luck!!
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I started running at 275lbs. I'm currently around 260lbs. I run about every other day between 2 and 3 miles. Good shoes are a must. If you injured then take some time off. If your just sore then keep going. I have ran 2 5k's. last one was in 34 min 36 sec. So I obviously dont run real fast. But I can run an entire 5k without stoping. So I would say run if you can.

Thanks for this! My boot camp instructor has been touting "new shoes" to me for at least a month now. I ordered some last week, so I'm glad to know they will help! Sometimes you just have to hear it from more than one person...lol
  • peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I tried C25K last year at 250lbs, but my reoccurring tendonitis in my ankle flared up and I had to quit in week 3.

I am now at 240 and have started it again, I am in week 7 and it is going great. My shins have been hurting a lot after the run.. but it usually goes away before the next run. My left knee gave me trouble last year when I tried it... this time my right knee is hurting.. I just put on a brace and it feels ok.

I would definitely talk to a DR though.. Also get fitted for proper running shoes, some places will even help check your form, which is also important.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Running can be very hard on joints, especially if you're overweight. If you're having pain and joint problems, I would see a doctor and also make sure you get properly fitted for running shoes at a running store.
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I started running at 270 pounds, and I am 5'6". It hurt..I won't lie. When we weight what we weight, it is not easy. But it is addicting!!! Every time you hit a goal, or run a little bit farther, you get more and more in to it. I have been running for 3 years now. I still weight 192 pounds, so my knees still hurt, but advil and ice do the trick!!!
  • keithmack88
    Options
    My doctor told me to bike ride or go get a mountain bike and go riding through the trails, and it works great because their is less pressure on the joints. And believe it or not but you burn more calories and body fat with biking then you do running.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I found this vid pretty inspirational: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbXgQqbOoU

I had decided to wait until I got down to 240 before starting to run. My doc asked me why. I was concerned with my knees, etc. She didn't seem as concerned as I was. I started, but every step still just felt like I was pounding so hard, even having done some research on pacing, stride, step form, etc.

When I got to 230 I tried again, and stuck with it for a couple of weeks, until I had to have surgery. Still, as crazy as it sounds, I could feel a difference between 240 and 230 in terms of pounding and knee abuse. Since then, I've done some running without problems, but have focused elsewhere.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Wow what an avalanche of replies already!! Thanks so much everyone!! I don't have time to properly reply to them all right now but I have read them and appreciate what has been said so far! I'll be back in a little bit!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    6'3, 400# when I started. I was probably on W1D1 of C25K for a good 3 months. I did my research and got shoes for heavier people. Never broke speed records or did marathons nor did I care.