Running for overweight people: yay or nay?

Options

Replies

• legnarevocrednu
    legnarevocrednu Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Don't do C25k. That's my advice.

Can you run being 100 lbs overweight? Sure you can. I just recommend you follow something like Jeff Galloway's Run/Walk program. Pick an interval to start, even if it is like 1 minute run, 1 minute walk, and repeat that for the distance you are trying to cover. C25k is a great program, but for us overweight folks it can push too fast, too quickly.

I'm still 100 lbs overweight, but have done 5k's, 10k's, and half marathons. Still doing run/walk intervals. Just take it easy and have fun. You will get fast once the weight keeps falling off, but for now the focus is to remain injury free.
    You are allowed to repeat weeks though. And repeat them as often as you wish. There is no rule that you HAVE to finish the program in 9 weeks. I think I repeated 2 of the weeks. So it doesn't push too fast, too quickly.
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Have you considered deep water running? You get the cardio but its much less taxing on your joints. Good luck!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    You should check with your doctor to see if you are doing structural damage to your body as a result of running. If you are not causing damage I think you may be better off doing an extremely modified (and longer) version of C25K. What is likely happening is that you aren't in good enough physical condition to handle the pounding that comes from running. A solution is to start out walking for about 45 minutes 3 days a week, then increase the pace for a week or two, continue increasing the pace for 1-2 weeks periods until you can walk at a 13-15 minute mile pace 3 days a week for 2 weeks without discomfort. At that point you are walking fast enough that your body is taking a little pounding and is adequately conditioned to start running and building up your lung capacity.
  • frankcaudillo
    frankcaudillo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i started running when i was overweight and after about two weeks started experiencing knee pain. my wife did some research and it was my shoes it seems that allot of the times overweight people have flat feet and a certain running gait that cause knee problems. after my wifes research i bought the right pair of shoes and run 30 plus miles a week at 235 pounds and have no pain i think if you go to a shoe store that specializes in this sort of thing i think it could help with your ankle pain to and dont forget to stretch like crazy.
  • addieb31
    addieb31 Posts: 10
    Options
    YES..YES...YES...I run...I am 231 I started running again when I was 255 ...I used to be a runner before I gained weight...I missed it...now I get up early and go. It's my me time...I don't have to think I just do.

Ease into...find a couch to 5k program...I have an app on my iphone that I use. It's called Ease into C25K

Running on a treadmill is easier than running outside...the treadmill moves for you and you keep up...where as outside it's you moving and the ground is never an even surface.

Certainly don't do anything that hurts...don't be afraind to push yourself.

Above all have fun with it. The feeling when I have completed a run is bliss...a runners high!

Of course...check with your doctor...

Happy running!!! :flowerforyou:
  • BlueDahlia77
    Options
    Muscle conditioning is an important way to help prevent exercise injuries. Muscle will help stabilize the joints, which will give you less pain. You don't need to build bulky muscles though. Look into strength and resistence training workouts that you can do at home or in a gym.

Good luck!
  • Nelliebird1430
    Options
    Someone who is VERY knowledgeable in this sort of thing just recently suggested (and yes it sounds very strange) Eggshell Membrane to help with join pain. It's all natural, and isn't supposed to mess with blood sugar levels like Glucosamine might do. From what I have read online a lot of people are praising it highly and getting pain/stiffness relief right away. I just ordered my first bottle today, and will be going to Mothers Market (Our local health store) to get a bottle so I can start right away. Hope this helps you!
  • Ladyvirgosdj
    Ladyvirgosdj Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started running at 270 pounds, and I am 5'6". It hurt..I won't lie. When we weight what we weight, it is not easy. But it is addicting!!! Every time you hit a goal, or run a little bit farther, you get more and more in to it. I have been running for 3 years now. I still weight 192 pounds, so my knees still hurt, but advil and ice do the trick!!!

I totally agree, it is addicting!!!! I'm currently at 290 and I started the C25K and I jog at 4.6 and walk at 3.5, and honestly I feel great when i'm doing it.. Now i'm only on week 1 and have been on week 1 for about 3 weeks now, but when i'm ready to move over then I will-NO RUSH... I purchased some good Reebok sneakers and I just let it flow, and i'm excited cause back in the day I couldn't even walk on the treadmill at 3.5, so I'm hitting and setting more goals.. If you can do it then do it, but if you're having pain then you may need slow it down and take your time.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't follow the C25k program with joint pain and at that weight. I think it is pretty aggressive and it might be better to as many people have said, "go it at your own pace." When I first started to exercise to lose at 180 lbs (HW: 208 lbs), I started with the elliptical and worked on endurance. It was low impact and never hurt. I didn't start to run until I dropped into the 140s. That said, I'm reading a book about running now and the author very much advocates running at any size "at your own pace." The pace should be slow enough that you can hold a conversation during the run and you should enjoy it. The book is called, "The Complete Book of Running for Women" by Claire Kowalchik. She says running is good for your joints as it improves their flexibility and range of motion. It also increases the rate at which cartilage is replaced by your body, making it stronger.

Hope this helps!
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I started run/walk intervals with 135lbs to lose. Granted, my run intervals were tiny - like 30 seconds - but they're gradually increased. I walked (and ran a little) a half-marathon in May when I was only down 10lbs. I'd built a lot of muscle, though. :-)

You're doing strength training, which is great. My trainer told me that new runners often end up with strong quads and weak hamstrings because they don't crosstrain properly/ enough. The stronger and more balanced your leg muscles are, the safer your knees will be.

My other recommendation is to watch some videos about proper form. This can make a big difference in how much stress you are putting on your joints.

I'm down 20lbs now, doing C25K 3 days a week and running still never hurts my knees.

Listen to your body. take the Dr's advice with a grain of salt, and do what feels right.
  • suaku
    suaku Posts: 45
    Options
    I'd say no.

I started out at ~300 and have dropped almost 80 lbs, and my biggest fear from the start was that I would derail my exercise program with injury (and end up worse than when I started). Fortunately, I've avoided running and stuck to walking (at an incline to increase calorie burn) and been very pleased with the results.

Your results may be different, but I'd stick to walking and elliptical.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I was about 100lbs overweight when I started. But I don't have any bum joints and I've been sidelined only recently due to 2 muscle strains (not from running) and a current illness (also not from running). But, if I had any joint weirdness or pain-I would be at the doc ASAP-you're good to be aware that the added weight is added stress on your joints. But that doesn't mean you'll automatically have issues-lots of people don't. But I have been a whole lot more "atuned" to aches and pains as I was going to have the doc on speeddial should anything not feel "right" (even if it was achy & painy). The good news is that I was morbidly obese, now I'm just overweight and well on my way to "normal". So carry on! Just keep minding the aches and pains and call the doctor if something doesn't feel "right" (which would be the same advice for people of any weight really-but extra weight could worsen a joint issue more than less weight - if you ignore it).
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I started running much heavier than you in August and I am still running. Sometimes I have knee issues, but I ice, take motrin and rest. I also invested in great shoes and a knee brace. I am hooked on running. When I can't, I dream about it. I just listen to my body. If it hurts, I rest it. I am hoping to get to my goal weight running!
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different. My knees are bad probably because I've been overweight for so long- however I finished c25k just last week and *knock on wood* my knees have been holding up pretty well. Like the others suggested, talk to your doctor- definitely make sure you're warming up and cooling down appropriately and doing recommended stretches. And good shoes are obviously a must.
  • MKolek00
    MKolek00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started at 302 running. I'm currently at 258 and just completed my first 5k in 32 minutes. I have knee issues, but I just played around with when I ran and how much of a break I took in between runs to help.

You can do it
  • bratleen
    bratleen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Are you running on a track, trails, or pavement...a good track will be easiest on your joints with pavement being the toughest. Make sure you are stretching, maybe incorporate a yoga for runners class in your cross training. Try to run so that you can hear your feet land, that takes that high impact and stress off of your joints.
    BTW, I run with a beginners/intermediate training group and there are people of all sizes and shapes running, many need to lose 100+lbs.
    Good Luck on your journey
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I just started back exercising a couple months ago and started the C25K program... after only a week I started having foot problems. So far the only thing I can think it is, is a Morton's Neuroma (inflammation of one of the nerves in my foot) and it has not gone away even after stopping jogging. I think I should have just done walking until I lost a bit of weight to help ease the pressure and I probably wouldn't have developed this problem.

I'm 5'4 with a starting weight of 300 lbs
  • Montco_cancel
    Montco_cancel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Don't do C25k. That's my advice.

Can you run being 100 lbs overweight? Sure you can. I just recommend you follow something like Jeff Galloway's Run/Walk program. Pick an interval to start, even if it is like 1 minute run, 1 minute walk, and repeat that for the distance you are trying to cover. C25k is a great program, but for us overweight folks it can push too fast, too quickly.

I'm still 100 lbs overweight, but have done 5k's, 10k's, and half marathons. Still doing run/walk intervals. Just take it easy and have fun. You will get fast once the weight keeps falling off, but for now the focus is to remain injury free.
    You are allowed to repeat weeks though. And repeat them as often as you wish. There is no rule that you HAVE to finish the program in 9 weeks. I think I repeated 2 of the weeks. So it doesn't push too fast, too quickly.

I started off with C25k. I was able to complete the program in the 9 weeks without repeating weeks. That was at 265ish lbs. That being said, I'd still recommend the run/walk like Galloway for longterm success. That is my opinion. I think running is fantastic and a slow and easy approach is best if you want to make it an ongoing hobby. C25k is great for lighter weight people who are just out of shape though.
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I have done 2 couch potato to a 5 k run. the first one I weighed 220 pounds. I dropped down to a size 16/18. the second one I did I went down to a size 14 regular where I am now. I say go for it.
  • Kishsa27
    Kishsa27 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I went from a very sedentary lifestyle to pushing myself full-fledge. I was jogging, walking, doing squats and that sort of thing and ended up hurting both of my knees. My doctor told me to lay off the exercise untill I lose at least another 30 pounds and then reevalute because my knees just can't take me beating them up at the weight I am at. I can do lots of walking but thats about it. :(

I would say talk to your doctor and have a bone density test done to be on the safe side.