Last 15 are a killer.....could use your input

chrissyh
chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been kinda holding my own for about a month - I've fluctuated back and forth with the same 2 pounds. If it were still gone, I'd be happy with 1/2 pound a week but it's still back and forth...I realize the closer I am to my goal the harder it is that's why I am looking to see what I could potentially change to keep moving forward.

this is my plan for this week - pretty much what I've been doing except I'm adding 30 minutes of cardio on strength days....
1350 calories eating exercise calories or at least 1/2 of them
96 oz of water daily
Wednesday - Kickboxing 1 hour
Thursday - strength 1 hour, cardio 30 minutes
Friday - Rest or walking
Saturday - RUN
Sunday - Walking
Monday - Strength 1 hour, Kickboxing 1 hour
Tuesday - Walking

I use walking as my rest day - usually my hubby will go with me. He can't run right now - he's hurt his achilles (sp?) tendon.

Any suggestions or feedback would be great.....

Replies

• chrissyh
    Banks - any words of wisdom??
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    I've been kinda holding my own for about a month - I've fluctuated back and forth with the same 2 pounds. If it were still gone, I'd be happy with 1/2 pound a week but it's still back and forth...I realize the closer I am to my goal the harder it is that's why I am looking to see what I could potentially change to keep moving forward.

this is my plan for this week - pretty much what I've been doing except I'm adding 30 minutes of cardio on strength days....
    96 oz of water daily
    Friday - Rest or walking
    Saturday - RUN
    Sunday - Walking
    Tuesday - Walking

I use walking as my rest day - usually my hubby will go with me. He can't run right now - he's hurt his achilles (sp?) tendon.

No real suggestions. Just wanted to tell you that I'm in the same boat! For the last 7 months, all I've been doing is gaining and losing the same 5 or 6 pounds. I'm beginning to think that my body just doesn't want to lose anymore! I'm going to keep plugging away though, because I really would like to lose another 5 to 8 pounds. If I do, great, if not, I guess it IS my body's way of saying "enough already!" :laugh:
    Maybe your body is saying the same thing! :smile:
  • hasiangirl
    hasiangirl Posts: 1,613
    read labels extremely well for the last 15.....sodium and sugar intakes i think should be low...unless of course its natural sugars...and atleast for my body i know when im down to the final stretch i need to lower my carbs and only eat the neccessary ones that come from fruits and veggies or very fiberific wraps... smart and delicious wrap is a good one...oh oh and a lot of lean meats
  • chrissyh

96 oz of water daily
    Friday - Rest or walking
    Saturday - RUN
    Sunday - Walking
    Tuesday - Walking

No real suggestions. Just wanted to tell you that I'm in the same boat! For the last 7 months, all I've been doing is gaining and losing the same 5 or 6 pounds. I'm beginning to think that my body just doesn't want to lose anymore! I'm going to keep plugging away though, because I really would like to lose another 5 to 8 pounds. If I do, great, if not, I guess it IS my body's way of saying "enough already!" :laugh:
    Maybe your body is saying the same thing! :smile:

I thought about that but I know that I still have more to go so I won't accept it - I'll fight it til the end BWAHAHA!!!:laugh: :laugh:
  • chrissyh
    read labels extremely well for the last 15.....sodium and sugar intakes i think should be low...unless of course its natural sugars...and atleast for my body i know when im down to the final stretch i need to lower my carbs and only eat the neccessary ones that come from fruits and veggies or very fiberific wraps... smart and delicious wrap is a good one...oh oh and a lot of lean meats

should I go lower on the sodium than MFP goals set for me?

hmmmm.....just looked back and out of the past week I was over everyday except one....something to definitely watch!
  • So you have 3 rest days out of a week. I think you've got to up things up for those last 15 lbs. I would definitely try to up the intensity for your workouts, especially the walking days. Walk faster or walk longer (or perhaps walking with ankle weights or hand weights?). Just changing an aspect of your exercise routine will probably at least get you out of a plateau. :smile:
  • hasiangirl

i do or atleast try to if im at the stubborn weight that doesnt want to budge...i usually take in 800 when i want to lose the weight bad enough lol...i've been lazy tho
  • hasiangirl

i do or atleast try to if im at the stubborn weight that doesnt want to budge...i usually take in 800 when i want to lose the weight bad enough lol...i've been lazy tho
  • jeanns
    jeanns Posts: 58

hmmmm.....just looked back and out of the past week I was over everyday except one....something to definitely watch!

I'm no expert, but be careful on that sodium reduction because it is essential for our bodies to function. Especially with how much sweating you do- you don't want an electrolyte imbalance. Maybe you could meet up with a nutritionist one time to look over a sample menu and get some perspective. Mine was even covered by my insurance.
  • Younger_at_50
    Younger_at_50 Posts: 24 Member
    Wow, you're amazing!! I am no expert by any means, but one thing that worked for me is the strength training .. so maybe if you add another day of strength training for 45 min - 1 hour. The reason I say this is because of the extra calories your body burns afterward, during rest periods. I did legs and abs M. and Th. and upper body/arms Tu. and Fr. (making sure I didn't work same muscle group two consecutive days).

I'm sure whatever you do, you'll reach your goal .. AWESOME JOB!! :drinker:
  • You may need to just change up your routine. When your body gets used to the same thing over and over, it adapts and you don't burn as many calories as you could. Change up some of your walking days to short interval runs at a high heartrate. Maybe try to throw in something different like swimming, weight-lifting, or pilates. Constantly taxing the body in different ways is a great way to keep it burning!
  • chrissyh
    So you have 3 rest days out of a week. I think you've got to up things up for those last 15 lbs. I would definitely try to up the intensity for your workouts, especially the walking days. Walk faster or walk longer (or perhaps walking with ankle weights or hand weights?). Just changing an aspect of your exercise routine will probably at least get you out of a plateau. :smile:

Hadn't even realized that the walking/rest was almost 1/2 my week - my hips are usually so sore after the strength training that I am limited on those days after...I will try to up it on those days and see what happens.
  • chrissyh
    You may need to just change up your routine. When your body gets used to the same thing over and over, it adapts and you don't burn as many calories as you could. Change up some of your walking days to short interval runs at a high heartrate. Maybe try to throw in something different like swimming, weight-lifting, or pilates. Constantly taxing the body in different ways is a great way to keep it burning!

I just added the kickboxing last week - I forgot to say that....
  • So you have 3 rest days out of a week. I think you've got to up things up for those last 15 lbs. I would definitely try to up the intensity for your workouts, especially the walking days. Walk faster or walk longer (or perhaps walking with ankle weights or hand weights?). Just changing an aspect of your exercise routine will probably at least get you out of a plateau. :smile:

Hadn't even realized that the walking/rest was almost 1/2 my week - my hips are usually so sore after the strength training that I am limited on those days after...I will try to up it on those days and see what happens.

What kind of strength training are you doing that would make your hips sore? Squats? Definitely put heat followed by cold on your sore areas after exercise. Also take a hot soak in a bath to relax your muscles. No one wants hip problems when they're younger. :flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    So you have 3 rest days out of a week. I think you've got to up things up for those last 15 lbs. I would definitely try to up the intensity for your workouts, especially the walking days. Walk faster or walk longer (or perhaps walking with ankle weights or hand weights?). Just changing an aspect of your exercise routine will probably at least get you out of a plateau. :smile:

What kind of strength training are you doing that would make your hips sore? Squats? Definitely put heat followed by cold on your sore areas after exercise. Also take a hot soak in a bath to relax your muscles. No one wants hip problems when they're younger. :flowerforyou:
    I think it's the squats - should I try less weight? I felt like I was going backwards if I did.

I think it's the squats - should I try less weight? I felt like I was going backwards if I did.

Are you on a lb per week? I would definitely consider doing a 1/2 lb per week if you were. Also are you bottom heavy? If you're doing squats, you're probably going to be gaining some muscle on your bottom half. Make sure to measure those inches! The only way you would be going backwards is if you gave up. Do NOT give up! :flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    I am between 1 pound and 1/2 pound a week with the 1350 calories. If I change to half pound it puts me at 1570 calories....scares me....seems like everytime go over the 1350 range I gain.

just a note also do eat exercise calories....
  • I'm also on 1/2 pound per week. BUT I changed my activity level from sedentary to lightly active as I was not sedentary. I did gain the first week I did this. I kept at it and now I believe I've lost a pound (gotta check on Friday). I've also been getting A LOT stricter on my sugar intake with the exemption of cheat days of course. :laugh: And my carb intake is now 50%. No processed stuff.

You might want to try 1/2 pound eating all your calories for at least two weeks. Record your results and measurements. Also measure your body fat. If it doesn't work try the more exercise approach. Record your results for this.
    For your exercise calories do you calculate your calories with a HRM?
  • You may need to just change up your routine. When your body gets used to the same thing over and over, it adapts and you don't burn as many calories as you could. Change up some of your walking days to short interval runs at a high heartrate. Maybe try to throw in something different like swimming, weight-lifting, or pilates. Constantly taxing the body in different ways is a great way to keep it burning!

I just added the kickboxing last week - I forgot to say that....

I'd give the kickboxing thing a couple weeks before you change anything else. It may just be the thing you needed.
  • Yes, give that a couple of weeks. And see if you get results. When you stop getting results, change something else. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.