Abdominal exercises that are easy on my back?

Options
Hi everyone I'm new and I'm having trouble with my back. I can't lie flat on it on the floor for very long if at all. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to tone my stomach with a bad back? Thanks!

Replies

• Shayna6347
    Shayna6347 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I was told doing planks is good for your abs. My cousin is a trainer and is going to start helping me workout in a few weeks. I'll let you know what I find out.
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I was told doing planks is good for your abs. My cousin is a trainer and is going to start helping me workout in a few weeks. I'll let you know what I find out.
    Thanks! Honestly I heard about planks too, but getting back up is so hard lol.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to know too! My back is so screwed up from a car accident a few years ago... Most things like crunches kill my back
  • thirtytwopostcards
    Options
    You could try reverse crunches. Your back stays flat on the floor so it should be good for you if you have back problems. This video shows you the technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlTvnfOr6_Q
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Look into doing stomach vacuums
  • littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My physio taught me planks, cat/cow stretch and just to roll down slowly til your hands are past your knees every day

I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5, and it has helped as its strengthening my back muscles big time!
  • fervc60
    fervc60 Posts: 70
    Options
    I have low back problems too. Interested to hear what you find out.
  • 14Carrots
    14Carrots Posts: 8
    Options
    I also have back pain and crunches and sit ups create too much tension and pain. I have done reverse crunches (pull your legs up to your chest, your back remains flat on the ground), and also "scissors" (lay on your side with your lower leg bent on the floor, and lift and hold your upper leg).

I could see a difference in my core strength and toning with each of these and it was much easier on my back!

Good luck!
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Can you do standing ab work? There's a whole standing ab section in 6 Week Six Pack.
  • micabrito2012
    micabrito2012 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Knee to chest exercises using an exercise ball, side lay on your back bend your knees and then do pelvic crunches, hold out a medicine ball 6 lbs. hold it straight in front of you then step out with right foot then twist at the waist to the left then back to the front X 10 each side all while holding your hips in or flexing your abs. These are good for your core I'm doing them in Physical Therapy right now.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Farmer's walks with load on one side are great for the core, all variations of plank and side plank, mountain climbers, cable chops, Palof press
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Crunches on a stability ball and planks!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, I like the alternatives already and am looking forward to hearing more
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    if you lie flat on your stomach with your arms at your sides (palms up) and gently arc your back (only what you can handle) by lifting your chest off the floor a couple minutes each day, you may strengthen your back enough to be able to do the exercises you would like to do.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    Roman chair leg raises
  • JConstine
    JConstine Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm going to have to chime along and say planks too. I have a bad back injury and in physical therapy I had to do planks and while they are hard (really hard) they do strengthen your core and relieve your back pain over time.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I'm new and I'm having trouble with my back. I can't lie flat on it on the floor for very long if at all. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to tone my stomach with a bad back? Thanks!

do you belong to a gym? I go to the local Y and they have a "back extension" machine that I totally love. You sit on a seat kinda bent over at the waist and merely lean back. I went from only being able to do 30# to being able to do 90# in about 4 months. They also have a seated crunch machine--It looks like an "ab roller" stuck to a chair. I never have issues with either machine, despite the fact that I had a back/hip injury back in August ( my hips were out of alignment MAJORLY) that required 5 weeks of chiropractic adjustments just to handle daily life without major pain.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Planks, or ab work on an exercise ball, or possibly a beginner yoga class (to ensure proper form and that you don't further hurt your back)?
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Let me start with the basic. You cannot spot reduce or tone. You just can't. As much as you want to create sleek, sexy abs...you first need to work on burning the layer(s) of fat covering your ab muscle. you could do a thousand sit-ups or 10 minutes of a plank and it won't matter until the fat is burned. The best way to do that is in the kitchen...what you eat/drink. As far as exercises that will help, ab/core exercises are not the place to start because they burn so few calories (and the effects of any ab toning you might be doing won't be evident until you burn the fat covering the muscles). sooooo....I recommend compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, med ball slams, burpees (which might be tough on the lower back if you aren't careful), etc. ... as those both burn more calories and engage/strengthen the core muscles.

once you get to the point where you have burned enough fat that you may be able to see your ab muscles....at that time, you can do a whole bunch of fun exercises that don't have your back on the ground. There's the full plank, side plank, stability ball roll out, jack knives, twist with medicine ball, etc.

However, if your back is out of whack, you may want to consult with your physician to find out what you are physically able to do.
  • JoanneStone
    JoanneStone Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My physio taught me planks, cat/cow stretch and just to roll down slowly til your hands are past your knees every day

I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5, and it has helped as its strengthening my back muscles big time!

I'm a Physio Assistant, THIS^^^^ is good advice!