Help with dry, frizzy, curly hair?

Options

Replies

• thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    This was me until I chopped it all off and started over again. First of all, a cut is necessary if you want it to look good. Maintain your ends! Dry hair breaks like crazy, which adds to the frizziness.

In order to hydrate, I do a few things: first of all, I, too, use Deva Curl. When I run out and don't want to spend money I switch it up to a sulfate free shampoo and extra hydrating conditioner for a while but my hair always looks better when I go back to Deva Curl. I also only shampoo every 2 or 3 days and just scrub my scalp and condition the other days. To get my hair curled, I always apply a liberal amount of gel while my hair is still very wet and scrunch it in upside, squeezing out excess water. I highly recommend air drying to decrease frizz.

Finally, and this is not for everyone --- I use henna to color my hair. I had been dyeing my hair since I was in middle school and the dye just DESTROYED my hair. So what I did was I chopped my hair off (again) and let the dye grow out, cutting it off until it was all gone. Then, I started dyeing with henna. My hair has never been healthier and more lustrous than it is now.

I hope some of these ideas help you! Best of luck!

(One other recommendation -- limit your pony tail time as much as possible! Braid if you need it out of the way, but pony tails are dry hair killers!)
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that people shampoo their hair waaay too often....so I still take showers but I don't use shampoo on my hair every day, and my scalp is used to that so it doesn't get greasy too soon like it would if I shampooed everyday.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Ahh, so much help! Thank you guys so much, keep it comin :smile:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You more than likely have split ends from all the coloring. You need to get it trimmed.

I have curly/wavy hair and I don't shampoo every day. On the days I don't I condition. I also don't blow dry or use any heat products on my hair. I use (right now) frizz ease mousse and a bed head spray curl product. I am going to switch to an aveda curl product (I forget the name) which was recommended by a hairdresser I met on vacation. I also get regular trimmings although I have to gotten it trimmed in a few months because my hair grows slow and it is just gaining some length back.

I also just started putting olive oil in my hair before my shower, letting it sit u til I am done then washing it out. I just started this so I can't say if it's doing anything yet.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I condition every day or every other day, shampoo every third day. I use an anti-frizz serum and let it air dry. DO NOT TOUCH IT while it's drying or it will turn into a fluffy frizzy mess.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I had hair below my shoulders until new year when I cut it all off - almost all anyway, It's very short.
    The things that helped most for my long, dry, frizzy hair:
    - don't wash it too often. I only use shampoo once a week, but I rinse it most days to get the sweat from running out of it.
    - use a leave in conditioner
    - colour is going to damage it, I don't think you can change that - but you could ask your hairdresser if there are any new kinds of dye that are better than others?
    - moroccan oil is lovely, give it a try as a leave-in product. It's great for your skin too.
    - don't use a brush - a wide tooth comb will detangle without so much frizzing.
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I like the Marc Anthony Strictly Curls product line. I use that shampoo, conditioner, and curl lotion (finished off with a hairspray). And NEVER EVER brush your curls out, just comb it in the shower!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I do not shampoo or color. The only thing I do is condition daily with Aussie's 3 minute miracle, and comb my hair with my fingers in the shower. I no longer use a comb.

For styling I buy a paul mitchell generic moisturizing mousse at sally's beauty supply. Recently I tried Aussie Frizz control cream. I like it so far!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Sounds exactly like my hair. I learned I have to invest in good products :< It's a bit pricy but I use Nexxus Sleektress shampoo and Nexxus Hydrasleek conditioner. It works -very- well. At first I was concerned that the bottles were so small (and at almost $10 a pop!) but I've had the same two since the beginning of March and I've still got quite a bit (My hair is past my shoulders). I can't just NOT wash it because otherwise the top of my head gets incredibly oily - especially since I work out almost every single day.

I also don't brush my hair. When I get out of the shower I put up my hair in a towel, then after I brush my teeth and get dressed I just use a gentle mousse and let it curl naturally. You can see the results in my main pic :)
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I use John Frieda Full Repair products. They have worked best for the dryness of my hair and protecting from the damage I do to my hair. As for the curls (when I want it curled) I use a combination of mousse, gel, and hairspray. The mousse is for all over and it helps keep the frizz down some and doesn't weigh my curls down (my hair is heavy). I use the gel to help with the definition of my curls and the hairspray is for holding them. With this I will use a diffuser on my hair dryer and dry it with high heat low speed and scrunch my hair as it dries. Hope this helps!
  • LauraFan78
    Options
    Aveda products are brilliant!

They have a product called Be Curly, and you use maybe a pea-to-dime size and it will tame curls and one called Hang Straight that helps tame it to be straight (but not totally flat), especially if using a flat iron. I use their shampoo called Shampure, and it's the only shampoo that makes my hair feel clean! I tend to have frizzies, especially when humid, so I use a couple pumps of smoothing serium. I can't even tell it's in my hair (some make it feel dirty) and it lays nice even in the most humid of weather.

Although somethings are a slightly pricey, a little goes a long way and you get your money's worth!

Cheers! :wink:
  • traceybarbour
    traceybarbour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Get a salon Keratin treatment. A lil pricey but worth it.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Deva Curl "no-poo" and "one condition" for shampoo and conditioner, and "mixed chix" leave in conditioner for styling. They seriously change my life, and my hair. I had some really really frizzy, dry, unruly, thick hair before. Now I just have beautiful thick curls, or awesome straight hair when I decide to straighten it.

Edit to say, use and old cotton t-shirt to dry your hair, not a towel. Towels create frizz.
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    Ouidad, Ouidad, Ouidad, Ouidad, Ouidad.

Ouidad is the best cut, and products that I have ever used, and I will NEVER let anyone other than a certified Ouidad stylist or product touch my hair EVER again as long as I live.

I have super thick, and very curly hair, and have had my hair ruined by stylists who have no idea what they are doing when it comes to curly hair. Ouidad (pronounced Wee-dad) is a curly girl herself, and she developed this amazing way to cut curly hair that is PHENOMENAL. I was 36 years old before I actually had a cut that made me love my hair. I walked out of that salon feeling like a movie star - my curls were the most beautiful thing that I had ever seen! :laugh: Her products are amazing, too!

Yes, the cut is more expensive than a typical salon. Yes, you may have to travel. BUT - you will only need to have it cut once every six months or so (for the Ouidad - trims are not as expensive), and I promise you it will be the best haircut of your life. I will never have anyone else touch my hair. Ever. That may seem crazy - but that is how good her technique is - I promise!

Look it up: www.ouidad.com
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Unless your hair is really oily, don't shampoo it every day. Some people have a hard time finding that okay, but really, your hair does not need to be washed every day, especially if it's frizzy/dry. Your hair's natural oils will keep your hair moisturized and healthy.

Make sure to trim your ends regularly. Razor cutting will exacerbate splits.

I find Pantene works really well for my hair type, but unfortunately the best thing to do is experiment with shampoos/conditioners to see what works best for you. Just because it's an expensive salon brand doesn't mean it'll be best for your hair.

Look for leave-ins or oils to put in your hair after washing. I use Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, personally.
  • cmetwinkle4u
    Options
    I have very curly hair.. I live in Florida.....
    two words...Keratin treatment
    or Ouidad treatment

I have used both and they are great.....
    Ouidad is amazing......http://www.ouidad.com/
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I use an organic, moisturizing shampoo from Giovanni. They sell it at health food stores and Target. It's made my hair a lot nicer. I still have to straighten it by either blow drying it (with a round bristle brush, a hair stylist can teach you how) or using my flat iron (Paul Mitchell) after it's dry.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Garnier Fructis curl scrunch gel, Garnier Fructis leave-in conditioner or Paul Mitchell round tip, and Paul Mitchell volume boost. That about covers it.
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I use ion shampoo and conditioner and curly hair solutions extenz or curl keeper. I get my hair trimmed every 7 weeks to get rid of dry ends. It seems to work for me after years of fighting it. Oh I let my hair air dry...and I do color it at the salon