Fasting

Options
2»

Replies

• jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Yes, I did a fresh fruits and veggies only for 7 days fast before I found MFP. I did it for willpower reasons, not to lose weight. It was tough but I learned to appreciate food more and I learned what hunger REALLY is (it's when you DO NOT want to eat something because it doesn't seem appetizing in any way, but you eat it anyway because you are HUNGRY).

I think fasts are more useful from a strengthening will power reason rather than losing weight. To lose weight I think the best way is to keep in mind that it is a lifestyle change and not to do anything you don't plan to continue when you are at your goal weight.

Fasting once in awhile won't hurt you if you don't do it for more than a day or so (startvation mode only happens when you eat like half your BMR for months so don't worry about that). I just think it is sort of the easy way out that people take when they want to "lose weight fast." Fasting is not something you can keep up for an extended period of time (without dying that is). And anything worth doing right takes work, and losing real weight takes constant work day in and day out for months. And hopefully doing it in a healthy way that keeps your body healthy and gives it proper fuel at the same time.:flowerforyou:
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I really do not see a point in doing it. So what happens after 2 days or whatever of fasting? Maybe I'm missing something.

Whether you starve yourself for 2 days or eat at a caloric deficit for a whole week, it takes burning roughly 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat. There is no magic formula for starving yourself. In the end, the science is still the same.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I really do not see a point in doing it. So what happens after 2 days or whatever of fasting? Maybe I'm missing something.

Whether you starve yourself for 2 days or eat at a caloric deficit for a whole week, it takes burning roughly 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat. There is no magic formula for starving yourself. In the end, the science is still the same.

^This. There are no "shortcuts." You can not eat for a day and risk binging afterwards or you can eat a little less every day and cut the same amount of calories. The latter is far more effective long term.
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    I love it when the snarky *kitten* make their comments when the OP has a serious question.

I love it when people completely fail at reading comprehension
    oh, goody. in my new ID I get to block you again!
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yes I have for short periods with just coffee, tea and water for 12 to 14 hours. I'm thinking of making it a weekly thing, maybe Sundays. It makes me feel better overall and helps me keep on track eating whole foods because I have learned how processed crap really affects me. After coming off a mini fast the junk is not appealing.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I fast daily... starting at around 9PM and ending at around 6AM when I eat breakFAST

indeed.
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yes I have for short periods with just coffee, tea and water for 12 to 14 hours.
    \

Hell, I do that every weekend when I'm hungover and sleep for 15 hours straight.:laugh:

I guess I do fast!
  • emilycoolface
    Options
    Well it depends why you are doing it. A lot of people will do it for religious reasons, and I know some people that do a two week fast once a year to cleanse out their system. If you are just doing it to lose as much weight as possible as fast as possible, I don't recommend it. If you are wanting to do some spring cleaning on your intestines, and you don't have a job that requires physical effort, go for it. I did a two week water fast and I cannot even tell you how much it cleaned out my system. You should do some research online first, and obviously talk to a doctor if you have any health issues first. But I believe a cleansing fast is either three days, fourteen days, or twenty one days. You also have to only eat fruit for a few days to a week after your fast is done, or else all of the weight you lost will come back in like three days. Literally. But if you have a job that requires moving around a lot, beware. At some points I found my energy to be so low I had to sit down. It only happened every once in a while, but if you exert yourself too much, its not good. So basically, research first, make sure you are doing it for the right reasons, and then go for it.. You have to drink a lot more water than 8 oz a day if you are not eating anything! Very important. Also if you are seriously looking to clean out your intestines, I don't think the three day fast would be near as successful. I have done both, and the results didn't even really start until after three days in.
  • JensQi
    JensQi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Personaly Do not think its a good Idea myelf had read alot of things out there about fasting, It in a matter of opinion...I did it once :sad: and ended up Scarfing the next day...which proved to backlash the Idea...Id do Check with Docter before you do it and see if it right for you! You can also do Protein Shakes instead of eating to lose faster...but Check Information first.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    To prevent a war................To the OP please add more detail to what you mean by fasting! Go into great great great detail when adding more details! Please.....