Why Hide Your Profile / Diary?!

Options
Why do so many people hide their profile and food diary?

When I see things like "I lose 1-2 lbs a week and I'm eating this many colories, etc".. then I click on their page and nope, can't see what their stats are to compare myself.. or to see what they're eating to get ideas of how healthy they are eating to also compare...

:sad:

Replies

• stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I don't see the need to share.

That said, I also don't ask why I'm losing weight or what I'm doing wrong. There's no reason for anyone to look at mine other than myself.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I don't see the need to share.

That said, I also don't ask why I'm losing weight or what I'm doing wrong. There's no reason for anyone to look at mine other than myself.

I just find it's so helpful to get ideas of how to lose weight by being able to compare or get ideas on what they're eating.. I'm not trying to stalk.. haha
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I guess that's when people ask to be friends or something.

I'm sure lots of people are willing to be friends and share their tips/diary stuff. Just post up in one of those "WANNA BE FRIENDS??" topics.
  • AimersBee
    Options
    I guess that's when people ask to be friends or something.

I'm sure lots of people are willing to be friends and share their tips/diary stuff. Just post up in one of those "WANNA BE FRIENDS??" topics.

Yeah, but at the same time, everytime I see someone doing well, or a success story I don't want that to add up to 100's of friends, it'd be nice to be able to check quickly see what they're doing, and be on my marry way :drinker:
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
  • AimersBee
    Options

Hmm yeah makes sense, I'm wondering if that is the same reason for all though. Wouldn't mind hearing other points of view from those who hide their diary due to other reasons. Thanks.
  • Bilbobradshaw
    Bilbobradshaw Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I originally had mine on private (and maybe still do? I don't remember how to change the settings anymore) because I feel shy about wanting to lose a couple pounds--it makes me feel like some bimbo stereotype, and I don't really fancy that. If any of my things are private, it's mostly to stop people who I know (lots of people I know use this site) from seeing everything I eat.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    There are a LOT of people on here. If you cant see someone's diary, move on to another one. :)
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Most don't "hide" their diaries. The default when you join is Private. You have to intentionally open it. Most people don't know that it is something that need to do.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with people keeping them private, however I think it's strange when someone starts a forum topic asking for help yet has a private diary. Typically the first few comments will encourage them to open it, yet they still don't.
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Most don't "hide" their diaries. The default when you join is Private. You have to intentionally open it. Most people don't know that it is something that need to do.

This is probably the reason in most cases when people are asking for help. I've had people tell me their diaries were open, yet they really weren't. They could see it, and they knew their friends could see it, so they assumed everyone could see it.

And a reason many people keep them closed, or have returned them to being closed is because when they open them to ask for help, quite often the people commenting seem to be harshly criticizing their poorer food choices (rather than gently advising them), making snide remarks, or trying to convince them of extreme food and exercise changes that scare them away.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Mine is open to friends

Not like the info is that private but I don't see much benefit to me for having it open beyond that.
  • SarahK2710
    Options
    I keep mine hidden because I'm here for emotional and intellectual/mental support, not 'physical' support. If I gain a pound here or there, I know it's because I'm eating bad things or not working hard enough, that's obvious.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of nudity and naughty food.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Mine is open for my friends but not to just anyone. Too many "diary police" on this site...
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I share openly with my friends... but there are some seriously creepy people on MFP! I don't want just anyone lurking through my information.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have mine only opened to my friends, because I don't care to get advice from people not on my list, that said I don't turn down friend requests either. I just do it that way cus its how I wish to do it.
  • njgal35
    njgal35 Posts: 28
    Options
    i am newbie - how do you open your food diary. I would love some constructive criticism
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Yep, and this just reminded me to go and look to see what mine was set at and sure enough it was at private... it is now open because of this!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I lost 29 pounds.. and people ask me, how did you do it, whats your secret.. and I tell them, but I also warn them, what worked for me,won't necessarily work for you.. so don't get disappointed if it doesn't.

The second part to that second sentence is key.. the person you are busy admiring is different then you... so it may or may not matter in the long run if you can compare or not.