Why Hide Your Profile / Diary?!

Options

Replies

• Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I vary between open and closed. Right now I'm closed and that's because I was starting to feel a pressure to "perform" for my mfp buddies in my diary. Closing it temporarily is an experiment in self-sufficiency and to see if it helps me log better even on my bad days. When I feel comfortable I'll open it up again. I'm sure I'll go through similar peaks and troughs during my whole getting fit experience.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    "You drink too much wine, have fun being fat forever"

Random PM from someone who saw me on a forum...that was nice :flowerforyou:
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I keep mine private because people are very judgemental on this site. I don't think it's anyones biz what i eat. i eat what works well for ME. That being said, I don't judge ANYONE on what they eat or comment on food diarys or exercise. My journey is MINE. I'm the only one that can make myself healthy and happy. I hold myself accountable for what I eat and don't need someone else making me feel like crap over something THEY don't agree with.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    And for what it's worth, I DO eat cake, ice cream, cookies, and lots and lots and lots of full fat, sugar added peanut butter. My friends all know that. They see it. I talk about it.

This journey is not about deprivation (never having anything "good" again); it's about moderation (eating those "good" things in normal quantity-a new concept for me...)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Because I am of legal age to make my own decisions.
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to the public for just this reason. I think it's very helpful to get ideas from the diaries of others, but I also can't befriend every person on MFP who needs help! I like to interact with my friends and comment on their progress daily so I try to keep my friends list manageable. Anyway, my diary is open and I've lost 70 lbs, so feel free to check it out, although I'm not too exciting of an eater. lol :smile:
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I've thought about turning mine off until I eat strict for competition prep, because that is a reason I get as to why people send me FR's - they want to see what I eat. What I currently eat is nothing special, in my opinion...
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Sorta off topic here... but is mine open... I dont remember what i chose when i set it up, and I only have on friend... lol which is my wife. So yea. No hiding from her, no matter what i do.

jcmcdaniel, your diary is closed, breathe easy!
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Mines open. Feel free to browse
  • melissa_leah
    melissa_leah Posts: 107
    Options
    Mine is private because too many people feel the need to critique how healthy i'm eating (not 100% clean or whatever even though i mostly am!)

It's annoying when people do that especially when I didn't ask for advice. I mean I appreciate the support but I need motivation not criticism......
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Sorta off topic here... but is mine open... I dont remember what i chose when i set it up, and I only have on friend... lol which is my wife. So yea. No hiding from her, no matter what i do.

Your diary is hidden.. just FYI
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I dont really mind if someone has their diary set open or not. The only thing I like about an open diary is that I sometimes I am just looking for ideas. I get bored of the same thing all the time and always look for something interesting to switch things up. I keep mine open since it sort of helps to keep me accountable to myself. If someone wants to criticize me for it then that is up to them...no big deal to me really.
  • shonora
    shonora Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Because I'm doing this for me, no one else, it's no one business but mine
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I don't share, but I don't really ask that kind of questions either. I've learned what works for me and what doesn't through previous experience and from how something makes me feel, so I don't really see a point in showing strangers what I eat. I see MFP as my own personal log, a way for me to hold myself accountable, more than anything else.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

Wow. I knew that I was really uncomfortable with an open diary because I just thought that it was so weird to have people comment on what I was eating. But I was generally doing the same as the blogger - lying on the diary. I also am a former closet eater and found that if I keep my diary private then I am honest about what I eat and log in. But I never seen it put in the way she did. That was wonderful for me to read.

Edited to add that I also now keep the notification of completing my diary off the news feed. I don't want people commenting "Way to go" if they see I am under calorie goal or "Tomorrow's another day" if I am not.

Also, I gave up "Friends" for that reason..some were on CRAZY DIETS, ANOREXIC and Bragging about it or ALWAYS Starting Over (They would be kicked out of AA if they did not commit and stick to THE PLAN) or just Dis-ingenious by saying "Great Job....Way to go." SUPPORT is NOT about saying the Obvious all the time, HECK, Eating OVER Calories is BEST sometimes. It is NOT Natural to eat the SAME Calories Day-In and Day-Out, and MFP Does NOT have a Section for WEEKLY Caloric or Sodium Intake Goals. Also, so called "Friend" do and say Stupid stuff that some ACTUALLY expect People to follow. WOW
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Hmmm so from what I've read the main issue is not wanting to be criticized for what you eat, even if it's just one goody out of all the healthy stuff. Interesting..

So far, from my time being here (only a month and a half).. I haven't had an issue with anyone criticizing my food choices, I guess in time? Until then I'll just keep the diary open..

I appreciate all the feedback, it was great to read and hear all of your thoughts on this! :flowerforyou:
  • paulsmisses
    paulsmisses Posts: 178
    Options
    i find it helpful having my diary open because my mfp friends give me hints and tips and support when i am being good or bad!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    deciding to keep it private is not always the same thing as "hiding" it
  • kathrynyoung71
    Options
    Mine is also open to friends, one of my mfpals today asked for help and was left quite upset at what one person said, sadly not everyone is positive and helpful with thier comments, I would stick to looking at friends diaries to get meal ideas rather then opening yourself up to the abuse and nastiness that some think is acceptable!! the 1st time I looked at a post I was horrified to see how unsupportive some people can be, you can send me a friend request if you like :-))
  • charip
    charip Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Because I'm doing this for me, no one else, it's no one business but mine

Exactly!!!!