A Question of Etiquette

Options
spoonful
spoonful Posts: 200 Member
Here is a situation that I found myself in. I realize now that there are many ways I could have dealt with it. I know that I could have done better.

Just for a bit of fun, how would you guys would deal with it?

So, here’s the situation…

You’re at a nice lunch… not exactly formal but it’s certainly important that you impress the other guests.

You take a sip of your drink and suck up a nice fruity bit through your straw. You immediately realize that there should be no fruit in your drink because it is a diet soda. You explore the thing with your tongue and you find that it is a soggy and very dead house fly.

You react with a sound and everyone looks at you. The woman next to you asks “are you okay?”

What do you do?

Replies

• foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am sooooo sorry, shouldn't have laughed! :laugh:

Gonna have to think about this one as its tricky. A few different options.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Think I'd have to Nod in acknowledgement of the person asking if I'm ok (I couldn't speak with a bug in my mouth!) eww, whilst desperately making a grab for the nearest knapkin. Discreetly, I'd spit the bug out and dispose off the napkin onto an empty/used plate. Failing the after lunch empty plate, I'd just drop the knapkin into my handbag and dispose later.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Oh. My. Goodness.

I would have as quickly as possible spit it into my napkin, let the person making an inquiry know I was alright and then excuse myself from the table.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone opposite you that you dislike? Do you have the skills to aim and either achieve:

a. Headshot
    b. Fly landing in THEIR drink?

There is a third option;

c. Log 1g Pure Protein.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Nasty!

But here are my choices

1) If it's formal spit it out slowly and get the server
    2) If it's in your situation, you could simply overreact
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Ewwwwwww !

I pray that NEVER happens to me :sad:
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    Oh. My. Goodness.

I would have as quickly as possible spit it into my napkin, let the person making an inquiry know I was alright and then excuse myself from the table.
  • munkey418
    munkey418 Posts: 139
    Options
    Is there anyone opposite you that you dislike? Do you have the skills to aim and either achieve:

a. Headshot
    b. Fly landing in THEIR drink?

There is a third option;

c. Log 1g Pure Protein.

I vote letter c XD
  • concavity
    concavity Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I would have spit it into a napkin then called over a server to get a manager and complained. Especially since if a housefly was able to get into your drink must have meant it was sitting out for a while.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I'd probably start singing..."There was an old lady who swallowed a fly..."

I remember a time when I was at a xmas party at lawn bowls in the summer time (where the flies love the heat down in Oz) and I was laughing and ended up choking on a fly. Friends look at me weirdly asking "You ok?"....I say "Swallowed a fly"...

...they fell about laughing their heads off. I had tears down my face from laughing too.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I would have called the waitress over, pointed it out, and asked for a fresh drink.

Proper Etiquitte doesn't require that you eat a dead fly.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Yuck.

Unfortunately, I am pretty sure I would have puked right there.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I would have called the waitress over, pointed it out, and asked for a fresh drink.

this.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    If you cycle anywhere in the UK, eating flies, bug insect or other flying object becomes second nature.
    A fly in a drink is nothing worth worrying about, half a caterpillar in the salad now that would worry me :laugh:
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    English or not, I would have complained. You don't have to make a big deal of it. I'm pretty sure most people have had a bit of unexpected livestock in their food or drink at some time!

The only time I got upset with a restaurant was when I had a salad and found a large catapillar in it, part consumed (presumably by me) and when pointing it out to the waitress, she replied with something along the lines of "what do you expect, it's a salad, it's gonna happen"
  • mommy2AR
    mommy2AR Posts: 2,802 Member
    Options

agree!!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Welllllll, if it was me I would have:

a) discreetly taken the offending fly out of my mouth whilst covering it with a napkin
    b) called over the prettiest waitress I could see
    c) show her the malodorous insect and say
    d) "I'm afraid I will have to return your generous gift because it's rather unsafe to drink and fly"
    e) watch as she giggles
    f) get her number
    g) meet her for a drink after her shift finished
    h) end the evening doing the horizontal hoolah

(authors note: this is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to persons living or dead or previous events is purely coincidental.)
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as poor etiquette when ingesting a possible poop fly. do you know what those things land on with no discretion for human life.....yuck
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    chew the fly and be grateful for the extra protein ;o)
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Welllllll, if it was me I would have:

a) discreetly taken the offending fly out of my mouth whilst covering it with a napkin
    b) called over the prettiest waitress I could see
    c) show her the malodorous insect and say
    d) "I'm afraid I will have to return your generous gift because it's rather unsafe to drink and fly"
    e) watch as she giggles
    f) get her number
    g) meet her for a drink after her shift finished
    h) end the evening doing the horizontal hoolah

(authors note: this is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to persons living or dead or previous events is purely coincidental.)

Excellent - you sir are a inspirational leader, if only everyone thought like this .....................................I'd be divorced because my wife would want to know why the hell I was hitting on a waitress whilst out for dinner!