The enemy in weight loss isn’t carbs it’s your lack of k

Options

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I would never have the will to give up carbs. I don't think there's enough evidence in either direction to warrant giving up an entire food group. As in every issue, there are people on both sides of the fence. Me, I'll sit on the fence somewhere in between. Lioness is proof that, at least in the short term, a low carb (no carb?) diet can be healthy, and there are, obviously, many who eat carbs in moderation and are perfectly healthy.

I say- everything in moderation. I think it's a good philosophy for life and diet.

But I have not gave up carbs.

Nuts have carbs
    Veggies have carbs
    Fruit (the little I eat) has carbs.

Then where's the debate? lol

The debate is someone telling me that I need grains. The human body was not made or built to consume grains. The agricultural revolution was the downfall of man. That is when disease and everything started ravaging humans.

I read a lot of anthropology books and that is how I got interested in the paleolithic style of eating. I have a book called Neanderthin, The Paleolithic Diet and just recently purchased The Primal Blue Print. Primal Blue Print is the BEST book I have read to date on nutrition and what human needs actually are.
  • metalpalace
    Options
    SO Tom.............the original poster giving HIS view.............Hi Hon.......

I have been stuck for some time and have not added strength training so that my body is a machine....eating up those carbs and protiens and fats............what is your opinion on the types of carbs I should add to make it more efficient (sp)??

Thanks TOM:flowerforyou:

Actually TOM, I would love to know the same thing...

I cant give you personalized instructions without disappointing my certifying body :) But generally speaking if you are among the 98% percent of the non special adult population you should be focusing most of your carbs on complex carbs. You will receive a more regulated flow of sustained energy and your muscle glycogen will refill nicely for your next anaerobic workout. Simple sugars are idea for breakfast and immediately following a HARD work out session. If you enjoy simple sugars then you've got to work HARD for them. Hell that's the whole reason I work out so hard! So I can enjoy my p90x recovery formula right afterward :) It's so good it's been dubbed my post workout crack...haha
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert in nutrition or dietics however I did get my BS in Biology and did my master's thesis in area ecological physiology. You can eat raw meat and a lightly cooked meat and get all the nutrients you need it has been a well know fact for years. Many people in other countries do it and live long lives. So you can give up carbs and still function and flourish.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    The current RDA is 50% carbs/ 20%protein/ 30% fat. Personally, I feel horrible if I eat more that 50% carbs and yes I ONLY eat complex carbs. I'm not saying your approach is wrong but I am somewhat bothered by the agressiveness that makes it seem wrong to do otherwise, especially without some sort of medical proof.

I don't see where I am being aggressive. The point of this website is to present each side. I never said it was wrong to do otherwise, but a LOT of people could benefit from eating an alternative way.

If I spark one person to test the boundaries of customary and conventional thinking and starting to do research, then I feel I have done the right thing.

And I no longer believe a word that the RDA, FDA, USDA or any of the other government agencies. The low fat / low calorie revolution is what got Americans so fat and obese, full of diseases and syndromes and other disorders.

I actually wasn't posting to you. I was posting to the person that posted the thread. You just responded before I did. I actually was more agreeing with you.

Sorry.

I have been reading for a while on a bunch of different sites that humans actually DO NOT need carbs.

I know people that are perfectly healthy and do ZERO carb. All they eat is meat and maybe a limited amount of dairy or eggs. But mostly fatty steaks and fatty hamburger. I can't do that, it is wayyy to strict for me.

My naturopath agrees with me and she is the one that is getting my health back on track along with me doing the work.

I have yet to see any documented research from any doctors or scientists that state that we need grains and a certain % of carbs per day.

I have posted my research as to why we don't need carbs.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I am not an expert in nutrition or dietics however I did get my BS in Biology and did my master's thesis in area ecological physiology. You can eat raw meat and a lightly cooked meat and get all the nutrients you need it has been a well know fact for years. Many people in other countries do it and live long lives. So you can give up carbs and still function and flourish.

Thank You, this is what I have been saying. Technically speaking, humans do not need carbs.

I posted the links for the resources where it broke it down to the chemical level. I don't know if the OP even read it or not.

I have presented my proof and I know for a fact it is not a dangerous way of eating.
  • metalpalace
    Options
    I would never have the will to give up carbs. I don't think there's enough evidence in either direction to warrant giving up an entire food group. As in every issue, there are people on both sides of the fence. Me, I'll sit on the fence somewhere in between. Lioness is proof that, at least in the short term, a low carb (no carb?) diet can be healthy, and there are, obviously, many who eat carbs in moderation and are perfectly healthy.

I say- everything in moderation. I think it's a good philosophy for life and diet.

But I have not gave up carbs.

Nuts have carbs
    Veggies have carbs
    Fruit (the little I eat) has carbs.

Then where's the debate? lol

The debate is someone telling me that I need grains. The human body was not made or built to consume grains. The agricultural revolution was the downfall of man. That is when disease and everything started ravaging humans.

I read a lot of anthropology books and that is how I got interested in the paleolithic style of eating. I have a book called Neanderthin, The Paleolithic Diet and just recently purchased The Primal Blue Print. Primal Blue Print is the BEST book I have read to date on nutrition and what human needs actually are.

Actually I said... here lemme copy and paste: "Your among a special population of adults that require different nutrition and that works for you."

Then I went on to say, "Your nutritional advice for the general population of adults is dangerous and you should stop giving it as general nutritional advice for the general population. I'm not agreeing to disagree with you. I'm telling you you're nutritional advice to most adults is dangerous."

And because I like my fitness pal I went on to say, "Thank god myfitnesspal makes everyone agree to a liability waiver upon signing up for an account here."
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    SO Tom.............the original poster giving HIS view.............Hi Hon.......

I have been stuck for some time and have not added strength training so that my body is a machine....eating up those carbs and protiens and fats............what is your opinion on the types of carbs I should add to make it more efficient (sp)??

I cant give you personalized instructions without disappointing my certifying body :) But generally speaking if you are among the 98% percent of the non special adult population you should be focusing most of your carbs on complex carbs. You will receive a more regulated flow of sustained energy and your muscle glycogen will refill nicely for your next anaerobic workout. Simple sugars are idea for breakfast and immediately following a HARD work out session. If you enjoy simple sugars then you've got to work HARD for them. Hell that's the whole reason I work out so hard! So I can enjoy my p90x recovery formula right afterward :) It's so good it's been dubbed my post workout crack...haha

no talkin bout your crack now......:laugh:

So by complex you mean fruits, oatmeal or whole grain breads? I am addicted to bread and cut out all white-bread, rice and sugar........and saw a real spike in my sustained energy.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

Actually I said... here lemme copy and paste: "Your among a special population of adults that require different nutrition and that works for you."

Then I went on to say, "Your nutritional advice for the general population of adults is dangerous and you should stop giving it as general nutritional advice for the general population. I'm not agreeing to disagree with you. I'm telling you you're nutritional advice to most adults is dangerous."

And because I like my fitness pal I went on to say, "Thank god myfitnesspal makes everyone agree to a liability waiver upon signing up for an account here."

Wow. You are really condescending.

Would you please post some sort of proof that humans MUST have carbs or that a low carb diet is bad for the general population?
  • metalpalace
    Options

Thank You, this is what I have been saying. Technically speaking, humans do not need carbs.

I posted the links for the resources where it broke it down to the chemical level. I don't know if the OP even read it or not.

I have presented my proof and I know for a fact it is not a dangerous way of eating.

I love this thread....

I am a student of performance nutrition and dietics, for HUMAN BEINGS :smile: Hey it's what I love. Protein, for humans, is the nutrient known as the "ultimate multi tasking nutrient". This is because, among other reasons, it is the one nutrient that is called upon when you are experiencing a nutrient deficiency to help keep the body functioning as efficiently as possible. If you are not eating enough carbohydrates, fats etc you are stripping away various proteins and amino acids from their intended job to "attempt" to make up for the lack there of. You may be able to live, for now, on little to no carbs because of the wondrous multi tasking nutrient we like to call protein but you are likely to rob yourself of living optimally. I study performance nutrition because I'm more interested in humanity and a higher quality of life than I am interested in life itself.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Would you please post some sort of proof that humans MUST have carbs or that a low carb diet is bad for the general population?

No one has posted that humans need carbs. I am still waiting for such proof myself.

I, on the other hand, have posted information that proves we as humans don't need carbs.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

I love this thread....

I am a student of performance nutrition and dietics, for HUMAN BEINGS :smile: Hey it's what I love. Protein, for humans, is the nutrient known as the "ultimate multi tasking nutrient". This is because, among other reasons, it is the one nutrient that is called upon when you are experiencing a nutrient deficiency to help keep the body functioning as efficiently as possible. If you are not eating enough carbohydrates, fats etc you are stripping away various proteins and amino acids from their intended job to "attempt" to make up for the lack there of. You may be able to live, for now, on little to no carbs because of the wondrous multi tasking nutrient we like to call protein but you are likely to rob yourself of living optimally. I study performance nutrition because I'm more interested in humanity and a higher quality of life than I am interested in life itself.

Hmmm, that is very contradicting to what I have been reading. Most people I know that consume little or not carbs have a much better quality of life with little or no disease than those of our carb addicted counterparts.
  • theatregoddess
    Options
    Holy crap this is intense. o.o
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Holy crap this is intense. o.o

Good old fashioned debate. That is all. :wink:
  • metalpalace
    Options

So by complex you mean fruits, oatmeal or whole grain breads? I am addicted to bread and cut out all white-bread, rice and sugar........and saw a real spike in my sustained energy.

Hey don't knock crack now..:laugh:

You can google complex and simple carbs. Here is a link I found, there are tons of them. http://www.howtothinkthin.com/instincts2.htm You can also do a search for glycemic index rating. The lower the rating the more slowly the sugars will be absorbed into your blood and an even more controlled blood glucose and insulin response. There is a time and a place for both low and high glycemic indexed carbs :smile:
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Check out this website..................

http://forum.zeroinginonhealth.com/
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Lioness, your real issue is with grains though, not carbs. No doubt, a person could live a healthy life without grains, but who would want to live without carbs in general? Life is boring enough as it is. :tongue:
  • metalpalace
    Options

There may or may not be some posted online. You will have to spend the money to get the good academic books but here are a few you can check out among MANY. You have to keep in mind that a lot of publications with real value is not going to be up for a free for all on the internet. Go to school.

Berning j.r. "sports nutrition patient education"
    Coleman, E. "Eaing for Endurance"
    Houtkooper, L. "Winning Sports Nutrition: Training"
    McArdle W.D. "Sports and Exercise Nutrition"

If you can find those online awesome. If not, you can get ACE or ACSM from their respective websites. To my knowledge none of those publications are available on a website to copy and paste into an internet forum.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Hey don't knock crack now..:laugh:

You can google complex and simple carbs. Here is a link I found, there are tons of them. http://www.howtothinkthin.com/instincts2.htm You can also do a search for glycemic index rating. The lower the rating the more slowly the sugars will be absorbed into your blood and an even more controlled blood glucose and insulin response. There is a time and a place for both low and high glycemic indexed carbs :smile:
    Oh good Idea. I hear that expression so much on the Nutrisystem commercial I thought it was a gimic!:tongue:
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Lioness, your real issue is with grains though, not carbs. No doubt, a person could live a healthy life without grains, but who would want to live without carbs in general? Life is boring enough as it is. :tongue:

:laugh: :bigsmile:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    This is where the biological makeup of animals comes in. Animal flesh is is more than just protein. It does actually contain some glucose in muscle, tissue brain etc, as well as fat. That is why you do not need grains. Vitamins are housed in the fat and water portion of the flesh iand is more than enough to sustain a human being.

I love this thread....