Nutrient Paranoia, or What Should One Eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• fitnhealthykaren
    Options
    My motto is eat as much "real" food (ie: not processed) as possible. I try to stay away from things that come from a box or a package. I try to eat like how we would have 100 years ago, before conveniences. I do believe in a good amount of protein, as that is what our ancestors survived on, as well as a lot of what grows from the ground. That being said, I'm not always 100% with my motto, and that's ok.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I eat meats, mainly lean such as chicken or turkey, but I enjoy ham, beef, pork and lamb. If it's being cooked I will trim the fat and eat it. It tastes good and it's better than going out and having a Big Mac or Boneless Banquet.

I eat veggies, I'm not a massive veggie eater, but I try and eat them. I usually have peppers, mushrooms, onions, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, asparagus and I think that's it. I don't enjoy salads. I eat fruit because I enjoy the taste. It's better than eating a packet of sweets or chocolate biscuits.

I eat carbs, I try to incorporate carbs into my meal or my meals would be small and grocery shopping would become expensive for the whole family. I eat bread, rice and pasta. I enjoy the wholewheat, wholegrain, wholemeal, etc. kind, but I also enjoy white. I will be going back to white rice once I have used up my wholegrain rice because it cooks quicker, becomes softer quicker and tends to absorb the flavors a lot better.

You don't have to follow what other people have said. Everyone does it there way on here, that's what is good about this site. You can pick and choose what works for you, still get support and results at the same time. If you don't vegetables, don't force yourself if you can't stand them, just try and incorporate food that have a decent amount of vitamins and minerals as a substitute. Enjoy alcohol, stick to weekends or one glass of wine every few nights, just make sure it fits within your calorie range. Like to treat yourself, either it be a takeaway, a chocolate bar or again, the alcohol, once a week, once a month, whatever suits you and what works for you.

Like I said, everyone does it differently and everyone will find a way that works and will see results. One thing might work for someone, but might not work for you. I enjoy food, if I could stay healthy, fit, muscly and average weight for the rest of my life and eat whatever I wanted, I would go ahead and do it, but my body isn't like that, so I have to put in the extra effort to get to that, but it doesn't mean I don't treat myself or go on these 20g carb a day diets, no fruit diets and never eat other meats except for chicken and turkey.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions (particularly to The Doctor of course)! I have been lifting heavy-ish (usually 8-10rep/set) for the last two months, mixed in with some cardio and pilates/yoga. Loving the lifting btw! I do love my veggies as well, and have been green juicing several times a week.

As far as reading goes, I had recently downloaded In Defense of Food onto my kindle, but am not too far into it. Need to make some extra time to read I think.

I tend to overthink everything, so this all just gives me something new over which to obsess (tho not too much!). At least I'm getting healthier and more fit as a result. :happy:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It has 5 years of research, all scientifically based and is not out to sell you some hype diet.

If it's scientifically based, why does it differ from the advice actual nutrition scientists give (you know, those guys that actually perform the studies)? Also, if the book isn't free, then the author is selling something. Just sayin...
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If you want to read a book on nutrition, read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. It has 5 years of research, all scientifically based and is not out to sell you some hype diet.

5 years of selectively choosing studies that support his carb demonization hypothesis and conveniently avoiding the equal number of studies that don't... that's what you meant to say, right?