opinions?

Options
skinyZ
skinyZ Posts: 89 Member
I was having a debate with a friend and wondered what you guys on MFP thought....

do you think that there are people who are very overweight who are genuinely happy with their size?

Replies

• kristalfrissy
    kristalfrissy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would think no. I think there are people who have accepted themselves and genuinely love themselves--but if they were given a choice-i would bet they would choose to be thin.
  • shady1987dre
    shady1987dre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    tough question.......(pondering).....I plead the 5th
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    No, I think they pretend all is cool.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am, so yes....

I am only trying, to eat healthier and exercise so I am not winded when playing with my nephew... I couldn't care if I dropped weight. I am doing it here, well... It is fun to talk to people

If people have an issue with me, that is their problem. I don't have to listen to them, I have to listen to me
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Yes i do, i have a friend that is all that, she knows it and loves herself.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. Especially people from different cultures or who have traveled extensively. Being a healthy weight is not idealized all over the world. There are places where being obese is looked upon very favorably.

But in the United States, with so much cultural pressure to be thinner, I doubt there are many.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I would think no. I think there are people who have accepted themselves and genuinely love themselves--but if they were given a choice-i would bet they would choose to be thin.

I second this. There are some people who I think claim to be happy with it but I doubt they really are.
  • nas24
    nas24 Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Umm.. i think so. That or they just dont care either way.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I know someone who is - overweight and couldn't be happier with herself..... But I think she'd feel better and therefore be even happier if she lost some weight.... she talks about it, but never really tries.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I think that it depends on how overweight you are talking. I am sure that there are some people that are 15-20lbs overweight that are perfectly fine with that. As for those of us with more than that to lose, in general, I think not.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I was having a debate with a friend and wondered what you guys on MFP thought....

do you think that there are people who are very overweight who are genuinely happy with their size?

Hmmmmmmmmm
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

I can't say for sure because I can only speak for myself. I do find it hard to believe that they are TRULY happy, though, because I know how miserable I was at 297lbs (SW) and I'm still not remotely happy at 250lbs. At my highest weight, I could barely move without pain or discomfort. I didn't sleep well at night because I was literally being crushed by my own body. I couldn't participate in fun activities with my friends and family. I was alive, but I wasn't LIVING. I was sitting on the couch watching life pass me by. I cannot fathom that ANYONE could be happy living that way. They may be satisfied with their personal character and their personality, but, that only goes so far because your personality is affected by your weight. I felt trapped in a prison of fat...a prison of my own making, and I hated myself for it. I'm not saying that it's entirely outside the realm of possibilities for someone to be truly happy being obese, but knowing how I personally felt (and still feel to some degree), I find it very hard to believe someone who says they're happy that way.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I know someone who is - overweight and couldn't be happier with herself..... But I think she'd feel better and therefore be even happier if she lost some weight.... she talks about it, but never really tries.
    If she talks about wanting to lose weight then why would you say she's genuinely happy with her size?
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I was never okay with my "size" but it was only part of "me".
    I didn't hate myself, or hate my life. I wasn't happy with being fat, so I changed it.
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. A woman I worked with a couple of years ago once talked to me about fitness and general health. I don't know her exact weight, but she was in the obese category. She told me she'd pretty much given up on being thin and was instead trying to be happy with life with how she was. She also talked to me about the daily runs I did at the time. How she couldn't run, and she didn't know what to do.

I suggested she just start with something simple. Walk up the block and back, once. Make one of the sodas she drank a diet soda and/or water/tea. She didn't have to start running immediately. She didn't have to immediately cut from 2000 or so calories to 1200 calories. She could ease her way in.

I didn't get to see the end of her journey, as I resigned before my marriage (after which, I was moving). But I did get to see the start. She seemed happier to have had someone tell her that all she needed to do was start with one small change at a time. I do know that before I left that she'd lost a good 15 pounds.

So maybe they've given up because they've been told they have to eliminate all of their bad habits and incorporate all these new habits and it just seems like too much. Or maybe they actually are happy with how they are. Either way, I try not to judge. If anyone wants to talk to me, they're welcome to. But I'm not going to force my lifestyle on someone else.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Silly fat people.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    It is hard for me to imagine, since I am fiercely unhappy about being overweight, but I imagine it is possible that some overweight people are content the way they are and don't have a burning desire to be any other way.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i'm sure there are those out there.. culturally.. some bigger sizes are more accepted in different parts of the world. (speaking from my own experience) Typical Jamaican men don't like really thin women...

but i also think some cant bother to put in the immense amount of effort/discipline to really drop the weight so they just "accept" being overweight and move on.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Depending on your definition of "Very overweight" I say no. But there are some who are sure enough of themselves to not let it bother them.