cucumbers

Options

Replies

• BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I love them cut up with rice wine vinegar on them or dipped in spinach and artichoke hummus (Sabra brand)

My family use to put them in vinegar with a little sugar/splenda and some onions and let them marinate over night and then eat them with fresh cooked green beans or as a side dish....
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Slice them into 1-1 1/2" thick slices, scoop out a bowl in the middle and fill with chicken salad, tuna salad, hummus.....yummy. I got this idea from a kids cookbook--you can use olives, pimentos, etc to make faces on top.

I love cucumbers with tuna salad! But I slice the cucumber down the middle lengthwise, then scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Then I just fill that empty cavity with the tuna salad. I have this for lunch alllll the time! I use 1 cucumber and 1 pouch of Starkist pre-made tuna salad, and I get a satisfying lunch for under 200 calories. People at work call them my "tuna boats". Several other people at work eat them now too.

I also like to spread a Laughing Cow cheese wedge on a Wasa Crisp, then lay thinly sliced cucumber across the top. Yummy!

Cucumbers are good in hummus (especially Athenos Roasted Red Pepper Hummus). I also like them soaked in a rice vinegar and truvia mixture for a few hours - gives you a sweet and sour type snack with a crunch.

I think I am gonna go make me some tuna boats now! Yum!
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I like to dip them in ranch too. I use the 55 calorie ranch from pinterest - 1 cup low fat cottage cheese, 1/4 cup water, 4tsp of hidden valley ranch powder...blend until smooth. 1/4 cup = 55 calories. It is really great!
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Put one sliced cucumber and one sliced lemon in a gallon of water and place in the frig for a few hours. I love, love this! It's so refreshing on a hot summer day. And has zero calories!
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Chopped into salsas, tziziki sauce, pasta salads, rice or quinoa salads, carved out and used as lentil greek salad boats, grilled (marinade with evoo and dill), dipped into hummus, ranch, onion dip, etc, used as "chips" for spinach artichoke dip, cucumber water, Pimm's cup, flavoring vodka, tomato/cucumber/onion salad, on fish tacos, on sandwiches, in wraps, in sushi, to top a vietnamese noodle dish, to pickle, make raita, make a chilled soup, or add to gazpacho.

I obviously love cucumbers. :)
  • kbubp
    kbubp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Salmon, cream cheese, & dill on top of them.
  • Mrs16
    Mrs16 Posts: 86
    Options
    I eat mine with hummus - yummy!
  • 2kidsmimi
    2kidsmimi Posts: 1
    Options
    Slice them pretty thin, then squeeze LOTS of lime juice on them. Add salt and pepper to taste. Store in a covered bowl for about 30 minutes, shake often. They are wonderful this way!
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    I LOVE cucumbers with Splenda and apple cider vinegar!! YUM
  • orsnowboard
    orsnowboard Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Put a little vinegar over them in the morning before you go. Or I cut them up and just snack on them all day.
  • Leslie85
    Leslie85 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Chop them up, mix them with your favorite laughing cow cheese, spread on a low cal/carb tortilla, add some deli turkey. Voila! Yummy, light, summertime meal!
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Gyros!!! They are the main ingredient in the sauce and there are lots of recipes online for ways to make the sauce lower in fat. Just search for Low Fat Gyro Recipes. They are also traditionally made with Lamb, but lower fat versions make them with chicken or turkey.
  • reshapemariah21
    reshapemariah21 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I know this is weird, but I "make" pickles. lol. If I have leftover dill pickle juice in the jar I will cut up little cucumber wedges like you get at a sandwich shop and soak them in there overnight and I'll have one on the day I have a sandwich. They're so good! And I don't have to buy any more pickles! :laugh:
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i peel mine, slice em, put em in a bowl with lime & lemon juice and some season salt. enjoy! i also use cucumbers as my chips for tuna salad (so i dont have a sandwich instead). cucumber water is pretty good too!
  • browniejane
    Options
    Chopped watermelon + cucumbers + lime juice+ salt & pepper. Sounds weird, but is very delicious.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    cucumber sandwiches. Mix low fat cream cheese with powdered ranch dressing. Slice cucumber and put on wheat bread with the sauce. I think it's around 200-300 calories, depending on how many slices of bread you use.
  • Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    bump
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I love to make summer salad. It is extremely low in calories if you watch your dressing. I used cucumbers, tomatos, onions, green peppers and a sweet vadialia onion salad dressing from Maple Grove Farms of Vermont (only 20 calories per serviing). They veggies plus dressing are so low in calories, healthy and filling!
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    Cucumber hummus 'pizza!'

Spread some hummus on an English muffin (toasted, if you'd like it crunchy) and top with cucumber slices. Bake until the hummus starts to brown, about 10 minutes or so. They are EXCELLENT. :)
  • Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    Dip them into italian dressing! Soooo good!