Think it's too expensive to eat healthy?

Options

Replies

• phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the cost of health insurance and hospital bills. It's too expensive NOT to eat healthy.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    i dont care what anybody says. IT IS MORE EXPENSIVE TO EAT HEALTHY.
    When can you just buy 4 pieces of bread for .75? and 4 baking potatoes for 2.98? I dont think so.
    This is misleading.

This.

You can't buy 55 cents worth of salt and pepper. Try buying four slices of bread too- see how the grocery store likes that.

The 55 cents is for the olive oil :huh:
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You can't buy 55 cents worth of salt and pepper. Try buying four slices of bread too- see how the grocery store likes that.
    Lol I don't think you understand how this works...

;D I like comedy what can I say?

Yeah, I do get it. I still stand by the idea that I would like someone to try buying four slices of bread and see how well it goes.

I get the idea behind this topic (which comes up about once a week here- complete with graphic) but it's not factual. The prices of food vary and to use an entire meal at a fast food place for comparison- all it does is let people puff up their chests about how lazy people are nowadays. It's an internet circle.. er... gathering. *koff*

To really make a valid comparison- take a food bill of convenience food vs grocery store whole food for an entire week or at least make it realistic in how people buy food.

If you are poor you can find a dollar for a hamburger but you might not be able to find ten dollars for the 'healthier' options.

This, is my main point- this data is flawed and I wish people would stop using it to have internet circle 'gatherings'.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    When can you just buy 4 pieces of bread for .75? and 4 baking potatoes for 2.98? I dont think so.
    This is misleading.

Bless your heart. You do realize you can use the rest of the bread and the potatoes for other things, right? :tongue:
  • gemiwing
    Options
    This is misleading.

This.

The 55 cents is for the olive oil :huh:

*GIANT BOW*
    Begging your pardon ma'am.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Healthy food will never taste as good as junk food to me. *shrugs*

I barely eat fast food now, but I'd take it over 'healthy' food any day.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    This is misleading.
    I agree. They have BOGOS all the time on ice cream and chips, but I've never seen a BOGO deal on any type of fresh produce or even on lean meat. (Eating healthy foods is still worth the long-term investment in our health, but it is not cheaper for my family.)

I actually just took advantage of a BOGO sale on family packs of Chicken breast, and there are always BOGOS on steaks and london broil at my grocery store.. never saw one for Produce though.
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    Regardless of this arguement, you can't put a price on your health.
  • bm99
    Options

Yeah, I do get it. I still stand by the idea that I would like someone to try buying four slices of bread and see how well it goes.

I get the idea behind this topic (which comes up about once a week here- complete with graphic) but it's not factual. The prices of food vary and to use an entire meal at a fast food place for comparison- all it does is let people puff up their chests about how lazy people are nowadays. It's an internet circle.. er... gathering. *koff*

To really make a valid comparison- take a food bill of convenience food vs grocery store whole food for an entire week or at least make it realistic in how people buy food.

If you are poor you can find a dollar for a hamburger but you might not be able to find ten dollars for the 'healthier' options.

This, is my main point- this data is flawed and I wish people would stop using it to have internet circle 'gatherings'.

Packaged, premade meals are more expensive than meals made from scratch.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add on to my previous post. We (the two of us) spend about $150 each week on groceries.

I always buy meat in bulk packages - chicken breast, lean beef, ground turkey, etc. I also usually try to buy some kind of seafood.
    We also stock up on the essentials - rice, beans, pasta, potatoes, canned tomatoes/sauce, chicken broth, bread, milk, cheese, eggs, etc.
    A lot of our money is spent on fresh produce because it is VERY expensive - bell peppers, broccoli, string beans, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc.
    Then there are all the little things like cereal, granola bars, lunch meats, seltzer/bottled water, etc..

Trust me, I bargain shop like crazy - I always use coupons, I know how to shop. I try to stock up on the stuff when it is on sale, rather than just when I need it. The healthier food is just much more expensive!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Where do you live and shop?!?!? That's ridiculous!

That's normal here. I'm on an Island in the east coast of Canada.
    A 10 pound bag of potatoes here, and we grow potatoes, is 10-15$ depending on the potatoes.

What island would that be? Move to Nova Scotia, our prices are half what you are currently paying.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the cost of health insurance and hospital bills. It's too expensive NOT to eat healthy.
  • bm99
    Options
    I think it also depends on what you consider "healthy". I refuse to shop organic in the grocery store. I've seen those prices and if that's how you're shopping it doesn't surprise me at all that you'd spend a fortune.
  • gemiwing
    Options

Packaged, premade meals are more expensive than meals made from scratch.

My point is- sometimes it's easier to come up with a lower price point than to buy enough to make a healthy meal. Depends on the meal and we can't make a blanket statement and expect it to hold water for everyone.

Hamburger helper- 1.99
    Beef- 2.00
    You don't have to use anything but water. It may call for more but you don't have to.

Pasta- 1.00
    Spices 1.00 (assuming all you buy is cheap chili powder)
    Flour- (need some sort of thickening agent) 1.99 (assuming non-bulk purchasing)
    Beef- 2.00

In this case- prepackaged is cheaper.

In other cases it's not cheaper.

No amount of chatter will convince me otherwise from my own experiences. Anecdotal but valid all the same for my life. It's not always about being lazy- sometimes it really is you only have five bucks- not ten.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Uhhhh

2 Big Macs = 3
    1 Cheeseburger = 1
    1 6pc nugget = 2.50
    2 medium fries = 3
    2 small fries = 2
    2 medium cokes = 2
    2 small cokes = 2

Total cost: $15.50

What, did they leave a $12.39 tip for the guy in the drive through?

I don't know where you live, but these prices are MUCH lower than the McD in our town. One Big Mac is nearly $3. But even for $15.50, I could cook a healthy meal at home with bigger portions.
  • Weighting4Happiness
    Options
    So the "salad" basically consists of just lettuce?
    and also, who eats dry bread....?
    Meh, I sure couldn't eat it the way it's pictured :P
    I'd personally turn it into one big salad, make croutons out of that bread, and throw the chicken right on the salad or something.

I love my salads, but I don't consider plain lettuce one, lol.
    Does anyone really eat this way?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My point is- sometimes it's easier to come up with a lower price point than to buy enough to make a healthy meal. Depends on the meal and we can't make a blanket statement and expect it to hold water for everyone.

Hamburger helper- 1.99
    Beef- 2.00
    You don't have to use anything but water. It may call for more but you don't have to.

Pasta- 1.00
    Beef- 2.00

No amount of chatter will convince me otherwise from my own experiences. Anecdotal but valid all the same for my life. It's not always about being lazy- sometimes it really is you only have five bucks- not ten.

Why would you need to add $1.99 worth of flour to thicken a pasta dish?? Pasta creates starchy water which can be used for thickening. And without that, the price is about the same. And, of course, you'll have some pasta and spice leftover for another meal. Or, you could take that $1.99 and buy a bag frozen mixed vegetables to mix in,use the entire box of pasta and have about 3 times as much food as you'll get from the box of Hamburger Helper, leaving leftovers for the entire family's lunch tomorrow for only $1.99.

Or, even better, skip the ground beef, and use the $2 to by a can of black beans and a can of chopped tomatoes, mix those in and have even more nutritent and bulk.
  • crazy8ts
    crazy8ts Posts: 360
    Options
    Trust, in NYC, that Mickey D's meal is gonna run you easily over $30

But everything else is expensive as well... I cook at home at least four nights a week, and can definitely get a bigger bang for my buck at the supermarket... but at least here, the cost difference isn't nearly that vast... just sayin'
  • gemiwing
    Options

Hamburger helper- 1.99
    Beef- 2.00

Pasta- 1.00
    Beef- 2.00

Why would you need to add $1.99 worth of flour to thicken a pasta dish?? Pasta creates starchy water which can be used for thickening. And without that, the price is about the same. And, of course, you'll have some pasta and spice leftover for another meal. Or, you could take that $1.99 and buy a bag frozen mixed vegetables to mix in,use the entire box of pasta and have about 3 times as much food as you'll get from the box of Hamburger Helper, leaving leftovers for the entire family's lunch tomorrow for only $1.99.

Or, even better, skip the ground beef, and use the $2 to by a can of black beans and a can of chopped tomatoes, mix those in and have even more nutritent and bulk.

I think you're missing my point. What do you do if you only have four dollars? Not six for the homecooked option? We can sit and talk scenarios all day- it keeps missing the point I am making. Sometimes you only have enough for the cheaper option at the outset- whether or not you can make more from a meal cooked at home is moot if you can't pay for it.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    If you live in a state with sales tax your meal is gonna be more expensive. Just saying