Lose inches, not weight?

Options

Replies

• p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Because muscle weighs more than fat. You've probably lost inches but because of the muscle gain, it's not reflected on the scale. Take your measurements and be aware of how your clothes fit. You'll be pleasantly surprised!

I can absolutely guarantee that one pound of muscle weighs exactly the same as one pound of fat.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Its possible to lose inches and not weight because of protein accumulation or the muscles we gain also add to our weight. Inches are mush easier to lose than the actual weight

OP has not "gained muscle" in one month. As a woman, eating in a deficit (or at maintenance) without benefit of testosterone and doing very little strength training, she would have to been some kind of genetic phenomena to have gained muscle. Under optimum conditions, a woman can gain between 1 and 2 pounds per month of muscle. Optimum being, a calorie surplus, adequate protein and weight training and genetic predisposition.

OP, you are likely storing glycogen (not protein) and water from starting some physical activity that is masking weight loss. For now, depend on the tape measure and not the scale as others have said. Also, most tend to overestimate their burns and underestimate their intake. Make sure you are accurate in these areas.

PS: The point has been make more than adequately about a pound of muscle and a pound of fat. I think we can leave off with that now. Do people read the previous posts at all?
  • Rawfoodsho
    Options
    Why do people even make these topics after only working out 2 weeks? I was 220 pounds, I completely changed my diet and lost 15 pounds the first month. You need to give it like two or three solid months..Also this topic is from 2012 why is it on the front page?

Also when I lose the fat on my gut I also lose inches......Funny how that works....They go hand in hand for me.
  • alicat222
    Options
    Garcina Cambogia Extract works it is a great supplement.
  • marissaim89
    marissaim89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem. I already have a very muscular body, but gained weight over the last 3 years on top of it. I just started taking supplements, so I haven't seen any results from them yet. But I have lost inches for sure. Only 2 pounds down in 4 weeks.
  • songs_of_spring1821
    Options
    Heres some pictures that may help you.

Water storage in muscles, sodium and carbs in the diet, changes in muscle density, shifting of bodyfat - all effect scale weight, and make it appear you are not improving.

Inch measurements and body composition are MUCH more important then scale weight only.

Weight loss can be muscle and fat. (per the scale)

You want to loss fat and keep lean muscle - not lose weight only.

My results have been similar to below , I am 10-15 pounds heavier then my "rough goal weight" but am already AT my goal clothing size, and physically I am about 1-2 times smaller clothing wise, then last time I was at my goal weight (when I had less muscle) - So I look tighter leaner and smaller, then before at my "small" weight. (size 7/8)

So to everyone else I look like I am already at my goal weight. But I am scale weight heavier, which is fine :) Don't stress to much over the scale, or at least not as your only guide. Its a limited tool, and only ONE tool to use.

Less weight - yep you will look good dressed and may fit the smaller clothing size - but, add more muscle and a bit more scale weight - you also fit the smaller clothing size, AND look good dressed AND look good nakkid. Thats a win-win :)

5 lbs heavier in after pic, but tighter and leaner
    236227942924235826_gkkV70hE_f.jpg

Not same girl, but cute example
    283304632779084974_6m2KFBn5_f.jpg

Same weight, after was when she started lifting heavy
    75153887501416986_Y1GnYQpg_f.jpg

Different girls but both size 4
    Size4Comparison-300x182.png

Same girl, before and after lifting heavy weights, she lost 5 lbs
    tumblr_lr5tonlb3A1qgyxugo1_500.jpg

Stacy, read her story here: She is 14 lbs heavier in after
    http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    160933386653933440_XDkHzL9R_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912536_Q9O5CANq_f.jpg

10 lbs heavier in after
    160933386653912535_fBi9urCv_f.jpg

Different girl, but both size 2
    size2.jpg?w=288&h=223

5 pounds difference - big body change
    216243219577967315_E53yF3Co_f.jpg

Fat vs Muscle
    160933386654082592_NvIGFFZy_f.jpg
    191473421627428288_b8i1XCl4_c.jpg

Question! I'm very new to all of this...

I want to look thinner, but not ripped like the girls with the six-packs in those pictures; for most of the pictures, I liked the girl on the left better than I liked the girl on the right. But every time I see someone espousing the merits of strength training and HIIT, they seem to be aiming for a more muscular physique rather than a curvy one with a little bit of fat. Basically, I kind of like having a little bit of fat; I just want less of it! Can I reach that goal with strength training and HIIT? (I hate long bouts of cardio, so I'm looking for a routine that will help me achieve my goals without having to spend more than half an hour a day on the treadmill).
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    still better than not losing inch nor weight....
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I just love everytime on a thread like this people start posting pictures with "skinny fat" next to a super fitness model...
    Honestly, I have nothing against lifting heavy which I acutally am doing myself, but most of us...simply can't reach the point that that much difference is going to show...
  • nkovacs1954
    nkovacs1954 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Take the scale and throw it away….or at least hide it. It measures nothing but your pull against gravity and does not account for muscle building, fat loss or water.

If your clothes fit better or looser you are doing something right. Keep on a sustainable program, not something that offers "loose weight quickly"…

Good luck….the support here is amazing...
  • artygaleuro
    Options
    That is SO what i needed to hear! Same issues. Feel better, stronger, leaner but.... the scale is not my friend. HA
  • Kashklay
    Options
    This is exactly the post I needed to see... In month #2 of doing intermittent fasting (16:8) I switched my workout to heavy weights only and for the last 3 weeks the scale has barely budged and will sometimes go up a pound or two.. My clothes have been telling a different story though. I wear fitted clothing and they're all feeling very loose now so regardless of what the scale says my clothes say there's progress!
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Bump
  • steinzeit
    Options
    Also what I needed to hear. Same problems, I even bought a new scale lol. I am doing 30 days shred with a 1300 calorie a day (clean eating) diet and it's my 10th day in. The clothes feel much loser and my bum feels pretty good to ;-)
  • Kashklay
    Options
    "Bump" posts are annoying... It's supposed to mean Bring Up My Post, but who knows where or what your post is and nobody is looking for it. Also, what are these comments about "Muscle weighs more than fat"?? A pound of fat or pound of muscle weigh the same, it's a pound! What you should be saying is that "a pound of fat takes up more space in the body than a pound of muscle".

Deep breath.. There, I vented. lol
  • MaynMan1
    Options
    This is perfect! I felt discouraged this morning because I gained 1 kilo (2.2 lbs) after about two weeks of doing the ChaLean Extreme/Insanity Hybrid. It was especially hard for me because I just bought a new work out bench so I added some more workout after the daily schedule and even supplemented it with trying to walk 10,000 steps every evening as well as watching my diet using MyFitnessPal. So imagine how bad I felt when I gained 2.2 lbs! I hope it works out for me. It has to!

Background: I'm 5'8, male and about 85 kilograms.

I did see that I lost about an inch in the last two weeks.

Need support and I got it here. Thanks!!!
  • sueoatley5
    Options
    I have been told muscle does not weigh more than fat they weigh the same hence the inch loss and not weight loss you are toning yourself trimming the fat away and becoming leaner, keep doing what you are doing and eventually the scales will be your friend x
  • rainbowxelephant
    rainbowxelephant Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    "Bump" posts are annoying... It's supposed to mean Bring Up My Post, but who knows where or what your post is and nobody is looking for it. Also, what are these comments about "Muscle weighs more than fat"?? A pound of fat or pound of muscle weigh the same, it's a pound! What you should be saying is that "a pound of fat takes up more space in the body than a pound of muscle".

Deep breath.. There, I vented. lol

I was about to have this rant. One pound of anything is still one pound. Muscle is DENSER than fat, absolutely, but it doesn't "weigh more"
  • StacPolly
    Options
    Yes, this sounds a bit infant school to me!! Question: does 1lb muscle weigh more than 1lb fat? Answer: Errrr let me think about that one, sounds tricky. (Scratches ones head looking pensive!) Of course not!!
    Same as 1 ton of feathers do not weigh more than 1 ton of lead. Surely we all got asked that trick question as kids!!
    The feathers would take up a whole lot more space though. The logic is obvious.
    The science is: a cup of fat weighs less than a cup of muscle. Muscle is a denser substance.
    When you start exercising, you strengthen and build muscle, giving the body a toned and lean look - pilates is great for achieving this. (An increase in muscle btw makes the body more effective at burning calories. One of the reasons we have a tendency to gain weight with age is due to muscle wastage with less activity.) I digress tho ... this can initially make ones weight increase, temporarily. Continue using more fuel than you are eating and you'll lose fat - if you need to of course.
    Don't be a slave to the scales though!
    That's my humble opinion :)
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose inches and not weight. Have you taken your measurements? If not, you should. I record all of them - waist, hips, chest, thighs, calves, arms (upper and lower) and neck - I even started watching my wrist measurements, because I was losing inches everywhere, but not the pounds. I am happy with inches lost though - means I get to wear smaller clothes sooner!!

Take photos too.
    I take measurements once a month and photos every 2
  • polerinaaa
    Options
    measure yourself and see if you're indeed losing inches. if you are, than HURRAY! that's better than losing weight! because muscle is much more dense than fat and it helps burn more calories even when you're resting and not doing a single thing. anyways, scale is not that big of an issue. inches > scale !