Kale Chips???

Options
AwesomelyAmber
AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
I found a recipe for these kale chips and am just a wee bit nervous about giving them a try... anyone have any reviews they would like to share? I will add the recipe in case anyone would like to give em a whirl!

2 cups fresh kale leaves
olive oil non stick spray
salt to taste
Preheat oven to 425
Spray pan and spritz leaves with non stick spray
Sprinkle leaves with salt
bake for 5-8 minutes
Suposedly a good alternative for potato chips...

Replies

• jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I have heard some great things about Kale Chips. I haven't made them yet myself though. Maybe I will this weekend.
  • dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    we recently gave these a shot.

blehck! Did not care for them at all.

YMMV
  • ellesbelles57
    ellesbelles57 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I found them very bitter. Didn't like them at all.
  • AlixDuncan
    Options
    I made them once with smoked paprika and salt.....but I'd put less seasoning than the recipe recommends, because it can be overpowering. Apart from that they are yummy, sort of melt on your tongue and have a nice earthiness :) Enjoy!
  • AwesomelyAmber
    Options
    Just to clarify... :laugh: ... 'earthiness' isn't intended to mean that they taste like dirt I hope... :wink:
  • okinmaine
    okinmaine Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I tried them and didn't like them. I have heard the "key" is to have REALLY fresh kale. Older kale is more bitter than very fresh.
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    My wife made them *once*... gross... very, very, gross. We won't be trying them again anytime soon...
  • clare_smiles
    clare_smiles Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input and your post! I've been thinking about trying them too- but now, not so much! :)
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I've had them a couple times and they were yummy but I've never made them myself.
  • CLSostarich
    Options
    I did not like these when we tried them and the dried leaf texture was definitely not a substitute for crunchy chips for me.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I make them quite often, and I can't get enough of them! I love them. Now they don't take the place of potato chips, but they do fill a salty craving. One key is to use fresh Kale. The recipe you posted is the one I use, go easy on the salt, a little goes a long way. My 13 year old super picky daughter loves them too.
  • chloeelebeir
    chloeelebeir Posts: 130
    Options
    omg I LOVE them!! Mine take much longer than 5-8 minutes though. Mine take like 25-30 minutes. I flip them every 10 minutes. And my oven is set to 400... I think haha. Make sure you just lightly coat them in olive oil. Too much and they will be soggy and won't crisp
  • mathteacher2010
    mathteacher2010 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have made them; of course they're not like potato chips! But they're not bad, and a nice and different way to eat your veggies.

:wink:
  • jadedbutterfly71
    jadedbutterfly71 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I make them all the time...I drizzle with olive oil, sea salt, 400 degree oven for about 8 min...I love them! I've not tasted any bitterness...
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    For those who do not like the Kale chips due to bitterness, greenishy taste, I would highly suggest trying the Beet Leaf Chips!! Its the same exact recipe, just you cut off the leaves of beets, take stem off and cut them in whatever size you want!! I wasnt too fond of the Kale myself due to the taste but they were bearable. I LOVE the beet leaf chips though!! They seriously have no bad taste to them. They taste like crunchy salted chips and thats it!:) LOVE them:) My kids go crazy over them also!! Give them a shot, I think you may be surprised!:)
  • b1505
    b1505 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I tried making them yesterday, I didn't mind them but I definitely won't be going out of my way to make them again any time soon.
  • heatherAnnXOX
    heatherAnnXOX Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i love my kale chips. toss them with olive oil, then i cover them with a pretty good amount of cayenne pepper and i also add some garlic salt. i only bake at 350 though, for 10-12 minutes. i could eat them every day.

the only thing i do not enjoy is the smell of them cooking. burn a candle or open a window haha!
  • AwesomelyAmber
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input and your post! I've been thinking about trying them too- but now, not so much! :)

Same. :noway:
  • AwesomelyAmber
    Options
    Too funny... just when I think I have decided to skip the whole process due to negetive comments, in come the positive ones! :laugh: Maybe I will try it myself and see how I feel about it. Thanks all!
  • CountryMom03
    CountryMom03 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    For those who do not like the Kale chips due to bitterness, greenishy taste, I would highly suggest trying the Beet Leaf Chips!! Its the same exact recipe, just you cut off the leaves of beets, take stem off and cut them in whatever size you want!! I wasnt too fond of the Kale myself due to the taste but they were bearable. I LOVE the beet leaf chips though!! They seriously have no bad taste to them. They taste like crunchy salted chips and thats it!:) LOVE them:) My kids go crazy over them also!! Give them a shot, I think you may be surprised!:)

One more tip...when you bake them, do not overbake them. Once you start seeing the edges start to turn brown, take them out. I read that once they start turning brown, thats when alot of the bitterness comes in. I was careful and didnt let mine get brown but I still wasnt that fond of the Kale. Beet leaf chips rocked though!:)