Kale Chips???

Options

Replies

• AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I mix a red bell pepper, 1/4 onion, tahini, nutritional yeast, cayanne pepper, garlic powder & sea salt in a food processor & mix into fresh washed kale. Then I DEHYDRATE them until crunchy. MINE ARE THE BEST :blushing:

I may have to go buy a dehydrator JUST to try that recipe!?!?!
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I've made them. Really an acquired taste, and I just couldn't get there. I threw the bowl out halfway through. BUT I know a lot of people who love them, so I'd say give it a shot. They're super easy to do. Make sure you rinse and dry the leaves first.
  • Jesiena
    Jesiena Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE kale chips!

Add enough olive oil to coat the kale and a little salt and lemon zest. Sometimes I even add a little cayenne pepper. Bake for 30-35 minutes on 250 degrees. Seriously the best snack or side dish.
  • AngieSchaible
    AngieSchaible Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try these later!

Do they have a similar taste to avocado?

(I never had kale )
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I lovelovelove kale chips.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try these later!

Do they have a similar taste to avocado?

(I never had kale )

Nah, definitely not. It's a bitterish leafy green. :)
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    better with the ready made kale the leafy is yuck but very good for you have it with some meals
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Preheat oven to 425

I would turn down the heat into the 250-300 range, olive oil will turn nasty if cooked too long at high temps. With the temp turned down lower, just leave them in longer - about 20 minutes or so. Don't let the leaves overlap, you want them to dry out and get crispy, if they overlap, they'll be more soggy and might burn before they get crisp.

I use smoked paprika, Garlic & Herb Mrs. Dash, and cracked tellicherry pepper on mine. I also would suggest tearing into larger pieces, since they shrink!

Hope you like them - I use the same recipe on zucchini slices (about 1/4 inch thick) and am now addicted.
  • cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I hear they're delicious though I've been too lazy to make them myself.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I've had them a couple times and they were yummy but I've never made them myself.

Watch out for ones someone else made, if you count calories. There are some delicious recipes out there that have 2 cups of cashews (ground into butter) in the coating on ONE bunch of kale! They're delicious but probably more caloric than potato chips.
  • lisaishotpink
    Options
    I've tried making them on two separate occasions, my fiance hates them as does my 18 month old. I don't mind them, but I won't be making them again just for myself!
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Bumpity-bump! :flowerforyou:
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    That is about the right recipe.... I think it is a vast stretch for someone who craves actual potato chips.

But, I like it and find myself eating about a half a head (bunch?) of Kale due to this. Also I tend to like the immediate taste of the kale chips; anything even if the next day, turns a little soggy.
  • lauren773
    lauren773 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the idea!
  • marilou0511
    marilou0511 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Hello from Chicago!
    Has anyone tried the store bought kale chips? Heard those are available. Maybe they taste better?
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Ok you can all laugh at me. I tried to make these last night- and everyone said not to over cook them- so I took them out when the edges started to get brown. The only problem was nothing else was brown. I wonded up eating wilted kale with salt... not great. I'm going to try again tonight.
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hello from Chicago!
    Has anyone tried the store bought kale chips? Heard those are available. Maybe they taste better?

I see them at the health food store, but they cost SO MUCH. I bought a dehydrator just so I can make my own & i don't use olive oil so they have a lot less calories.

plus, now I can make dried fruit & beef jerky too
  • jrbtsn
    jrbtsn Posts: 16
    Options
    :smile:
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    If you like kale you will probably like them, if you don't you most certainly won't.

Kale is pretty cheap. Buy some, try it, if you don't like it take the kale and add it some other recipe. Goes good in salad, soups, bean dishes, burgers.
  • sraww
    sraww Posts: 1
    Options
    I hated them .!! my kitchen smelled awful after I got them done.Very nasty. Just cook the Kale or use in salad