Couch to 5K anyone?!? We start on monday!

Options

Replies

• fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    GOOD MORNING!! :flowerforyou:

W1 D2 ~ done......so am I!! yikes! getting old is hell!:devil:

Proud of everyone who is getting out and moving......:drinker:

Have a happy healthy day

Pam:flowerforyou:
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all!

Just wanted to stop in and wish you all the best on your C25K experiences! I finished the program on May 16, ran my first 5K June 28...and am going to run the Baltimore Half-Marathon in October. It really is addictive, and I definitely agree with not pushing past the week you are on even if you feel like you can. It's supposed to be fun, not torture.

Have fun and happy running!
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all!

Just wanted to stop in and wish you all the best on your C25K experiences! I finished the program on May 16, ran my first 5K June 28...and am going to run the Baltimore Half-Marathon in October. It really is addictive, and I definitely agree with not pushing past the week you are on even if you feel like you can. It's supposed to be fun, not torture.

Have fun and happy running!

Wow! Thank you so much for posting! It's great to hear from someone who has not only found success with the C25K but has continued and gotten stronger in running!
  • LMichelle1920
    Options
    i am new to the board, but i love this thread! i would like to join this challenge. the Race for the Cure here is 11/1/09 and i want to run it this year!!!
  • ClarkOMan
    ClarkOMan Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    kurneckc,

I could almost just quote all your posts. I seem to be a few hours behind you :smile: I'm definitely feeling it in the upper thighs. Ouch! I hope it subsides before tomorrow morning. I'm making a checklist of things I have to do to prepare.
    1. a little caffeine
    2. stretch before AND after.
    3. set iPod, HRM, and Pedometer.
    4. Drink a little milk after the run.
    5. Shower after using hot as I can stand - then cold as I can stand alternating on the muscle areas that will hurt. (It helps.)

Have a terrific day everyone! :happy:
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    kurneckc,

I could almost just quote all your posts. I seem to be a few hours behind you :smile: I'm definitely feeling it in the upper thighs. Ouch! I hope it subsides before tomorrow morning. I'm making a checklist of things I have to do to prepare.
    1. a little caffeine
    2. stretch before AND after.
    3. set iPod, HRM, and Pedometer.
    4. Drink a little milk after the run.
    5. Shower after using hot as I can stand - then cold as I can stand alternating on the muscle areas that will hurt. (It helps.)

Have a terrific day everyone! :happy:

This may blow your mind but what helped me is this: My daughter and I walked 2.5 miles last night, fast clip too. I still have some pain in the muscles, but it's a 'good' pain. So maybe consider doing a little walking tonight?

I never would have thought that would work, but it did!!

I'm trying to decide if I'll run tonight, or walk again and get on track with you folks tomorrow.
  • Sarah_LM
    Sarah_LM Posts: 96
    Options
    I'd love to be able to run! Looked on the website and it sounds interesting so going to give it a go.
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    I'd love to be able to run! Looked on the website and it sounds interesting so going to give it a go.

I'm far from 'running', but I'm doing the program! I know I'll have to repeat some weeks, probably quite a few, but I'm doing it.

I did 2 miles today in 30 minutes, week 1 so it's jogging/walking - slow... for sure, but I'm doing it!!! The first night I only made 1.5 miles in 30 minutes.

I weigh 211 and I'm 49 years old - if this old bag can do it, so can you!!!!! :-)
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    W1D2 completed! And it was easier than my first night!!!

I'm doing C25K every other day, is that what we're doing? Sometimes maybe 2 days between runs? Three times a week?

I stretched after the exercise, thanks to all who reminded me.

My only concern is my feet. Ouch. Balls of my feet are killing me, but I have Walmart tennis shoes on, and I expect that's why. I ordered New Balance 758's if anyone knows anything about running shoes. They were WAY more than I ever spend on me, (single mom) but I know that if my feet keep hurting I will use it as an excuse to quit. So they were shipped this afternoon! I'm not stopping for anything!

I'm going to keep going. And I'm still walking on the nights I don't do the C25K - because it makes my legs hurt a lot less.

Wow. Thank you everyone for letting me join in this! Me doing a program like this is completely out of my old realm of possibility! I'm proud to be on a team with you guys!
  • annerssju
    annerssju Posts: 111
    Options

I'm doing C25K every other day, is that what we're doing? Sometimes maybe 2 days between runs? Three times a week?

My only concern is my feet. Ouch. Balls of my feet are killing me, but I have Walmart tennis shoes on, and I expect that's why. I ordered New Balance 758's if anyone knows anything about running shoes. They were WAY more than I ever spend on me, (single mom) but I know that if my feet keep hurting I will use it as an excuse to quit. So they were shipped this afternoon! I'm not stopping for anything!

I'm going to keep going. And I'm still walking on the nights I don't do the C25K - because it makes my legs hurt a lot less.

Wow. Thank you everyone for letting me join in this! Me doing a program like this is completely out of my old realm of possibility! I'm proud to be on a team with you guys!

Good for you for ordering the sneakers, they will be worth it. LOVE your determination! I am going to try and run/walk every other day, and do other workouts my "off" days. That's probably best, but I'm sure as long as you get the 3 days a week in, it doesn't really matter when you do it. I ran yesterday so I did a Jillian Michaels (think that's her name?) workout video tonight and am feeling good!

Hopefully tomorrow's run will be a success, I'll let you all know!
  • ClassiC
    ClassiC Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    W1D2 done!!!
    i'm doing 3 times p/week too, yep! :happy:

keep it up everyone!!!:flowerforyou:
  • fiftyandfit
    Options

Hey Kiddo...(i'm 49 too!! we're the older kid generation!)
    the tennies will make a HUGE diff!! The balls of your feet hurt probably due to lack of arch support. Try putting in some gel soles til your good shoes get here. And good for you spending some hard earned $$$ on yourself!! :bigsmile: Not to mention just spending time on yourself!! U ROCK!

• Wecandothis
    Options

Good for you for ordering the sneakers, they will be worth it. LOVE your determination! I am going to try and run/walk every other day, and do other workouts my "off" days. That's probably best, but I'm sure as long as you get the 3 days a week in, it doesn't really matter when you do it. I ran yesterday so I did a Jillian Michaels (think that's her name?) workout video tonight and am feeling good!

I just got back from my 'off day' walk - tried it in the morning. Quiet, beautiful and a lot cooler. I should do some other 'training' on my days off I'm sure, but for now, this is amazing. Three years ago I quite literally could not stand at my sink to do the dishes. I had to lean against it and take a break from standing after 2 or three minutes. I hobbled around my house.

I'm alive again. I'm so grateful.

[/quote]

Hopefully tomorrow's run will be a success, I'll let you all know!
    [/quote]

It will be. I know it will be. If I can do this, anyone can, and that is just the simple truth. :)
  • Wecandothis
    Options

Hey Kiddo...(i'm 49 too!! we're the older kid generation!)
    the tennies will make a HUGE diff!! The balls of your feet hurt probably due to lack of arch support. Try putting in some gel soles til your good shoes get here. And good for you spending some hard earned $$$ on yourself!! :bigsmile: Not to mention just spending time on yourself!! U ROCK!

I was so glad to find someone else my age doing this. Your enthusiasm and great confidence gave me a huge boost!

I will get insoles, thanks for the advice. And you're right about the time. I never felt 'worth' it before.

Thanks for the encouragement, it has found fertile soil.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    W1D2!
  • fiftyandfit
    Options
    Good Morning!! :flowerforyou:

I need to do this every day.......if not, I'm just not gonna do it....

So W1D3....have to admit I wog more than jog :tongue: but at least I'm moving!!

Have a happy healthy day

• pinkpoole
    Options
    Okay, so I ran on Monday evening, and Tuesday I was feeling really good (the knees were just a little sore), but today, my calves are killing me!! Any reason for this delayed reaction?
  • woodside1986
    Options
    I am doing W1D2 tonight after work when it cools off, but I have found a great ap for iPods or iPhones that goes with the Couch to 5k...It's actually called Couch to 5k and your own playlists work with it and everything. There's a voice and sound alert to let you know when to switch from jogging to walking and a warmup/cool down period factored in too. It worked well for me! Can't wait to go again tonight!!!
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    Okay, so I ran on Monday evening, and Tuesday I was feeling really good (the knees were just a little sore), but today, my calves are killing me!! Any reason for this delayed reaction?

Yes! This puzzled me too! I posted the links before, but here they are again. They even call it delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. :laugh:

DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/sore-muscles-dont-stop-exercising

Not sure I fully recommend this but it says Caffeine reduces muscle pain: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20090402/muscles-sore-after-exercise-sip-caffeine
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

yes, you need to stretch right after running, RIGHT AFTER! it will happen every time if you dont