Couch to 5K anyone?!? We start on monday!

Options

Replies

• JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The link to Robert Ullrey's podcasts is: http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/files/category-7.html

I decided to run to the post office today instead of taking the car. I put on my wk 7 podcast, and made it to the post office ( including the 5 minute warm-up ) in 20 minutes - faster than I was expecting. I've never measured the distance - I'm guessing 1.5 miles or so. I walked back since it was mid-day and all my runs so far have been indoors.

Has anyone made any adjustments going from running indoors to moving outdoors?
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

Has anyone made any adjustments going from running indoors to moving outdoors?

No sorry, I've only ever run open road.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I think I can run longer on the treadmill than I can outside. I think it is because of perfectly level surface, nice air conditioned room, etc. But I also sweat a LOT less on the treadmill so I have stopped running indoors and now prefer outside.

Thanks for the link- I'm sure you made somebody's day to not have to search it out.
  • TheNatKitchen
    TheNatKitchen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!:blushing:

I must say, the podcast I downloaded from Robert Ullrey make the whole thing SOOOO much easier. The first time I was using a stopwatch, and it was so much harder to keep track of the intervals. If anyone is reading this that doesn't already have these, go get them NOW. They are free and they are awesome. It's nice upbeat music too!

I was using my cell phone to calculate intervals before I gut Ullreys' podcast! HAHAHA When I finally got the pod cast I was amazed at the difference! You are totally right!

I was using a cellphone at first too!! :laugh: The podcasts are so helpful, although I don't love the music. I just tell myself that I have earn the priveledge to listen to my favorite tunes while I run.

I finished W1 D3 last thursday, and lost 4 lbs last week!!! Some family crisis took over my life for the past five days, so I haven't gotten ANY workouts in. So, I'm going to repeat Week 1 starting today.

Congrats to everyone! You're all doing so well :happy:
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    W4D2 done!

And wow was it hard - but only because I've been misbehaving. I ran W4D1 on Monday, then yesterday (Tuesday) I ran W2D1 in the morning then AGAIN in the afternoon. Then tried W4D2 today. I can feel it in my knees. I have to take tomorrow off. Completely.

But I did it!!!!!!!!!!!

Gratz to everyone! So grateful to be a part of this group.
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    I found the podcast, I'm going to listen to it tonight for sure when I do wk2 day2 Everyone keep up the work. I'm sadly going to be over my calories today since I decided to have some carrot cake today LOL I didn't realize it would be 600 calories!!! I thought maybe only 300 or 350 not 600!! Craziness, so I'm glad I'm running tonight. I guess I'm aloud to make a mistake like that since I've been really good with my calories for over a month :smile: I'll just have a light dinner.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hey Laura! My repeat of week one is going good. I should d/l the podcast. I'm using a stop watch. Don't worry about the cheesecake. I had some issues w/ Labor Day! :laugh:
  • caseyamber
    Options
    W3 D2 this morning and I got it done. My sweetie even woke up this morning to run with me. (He ran cross country in high school, so it wasnt too bad for him, although he did break a sweat) IMy dog is also behaving much better on our runs in the morning.
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    Hey Laura! My repeat of week one is going good. I should d/l the podcast. I'm using a stop watch. Don't worry about the cheesecake. I had some issues w/ Labor Day! :laugh:

The podcast is great, I used it for the first half of my workout, I didn't get to finish cause a grizzly bear was spotted down the road from where I was jogging last night LOL So tonight I'm going to do it again.
  • Wecandothis
    Options

The podcast is great, I used it for the first half of my workout, I didn't get to finish cause a grizzly bear was spotted down the road from where I was jogging last night LOL So tonight I'm going to do it again.

Whoa!!!!!!!!!! And I was feeling sorry for myself because I have to pass a tied rotweiller every morning... holy cow! :noway:

Stay safe!!!!!!!!! :laugh:
  • laurajoyk
    Options
    I live in Alaska, so I have to deal with the bear issue for about another month or so till they go into hibernation sadly. I just have to jog near houses so if I spot the bear I can go inside LOL
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    I live in Alaska, so I have to deal with the bear issue for about another month or so till they go into hibernation sadly. I just have to jog near houses so if I spot the bear I can go inside LOL

That would certainly increase the speed of your runs!!! ACK! :smile:
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Girl you are so strong mentally and physically. I live in ontario and apparently Im a wuss. I grew up on a farm and I still am TERRIFIED of running into a bear. I live in a city now and run in the sub divisions but there are random spottings of bears coming into town and it freaks the heck out of me. I hate running in the morning past some areas incase there is one lurking (did I mention that Im nervous about running into one lol)

i dont know how you do it but you are totally awesome for going out again and trying to finish it :)

Great Job :)
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    W5D3...20minutesinarow!!!! I am awesome! :bigsmile:

I got about 7 minutes into this and thought "I'm never gonna make it" :noway: then I thought "that's the wrong attitude, you are strong and you CAN do this" and I did!! :drinker:

Keep going everyone - you are awesome too! YOU can do it too!
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Whoa!!!!!!!!!! And I was feeling sorry for myself because I have to pass a tied rotweiller every morning... holy cow! :noway:

Stay safe!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

WOW...Laura I am sorry about the bear ruining your run! :flowerforyou:

Kurneckc- My rottweiler is my favorite running partner! She is the best dog in the world... Maybe take the tied up one along for your run :laugh:

I ran W6 D2 yesterday and I am feeling it in my hips today :cry: Maybe I can do W6D3 tomorrow
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    W2 D5 DONE! (four weeks of running ttl)

Everyone who has written about running and how it is also mental - so right! Today as I was running - or jogging - very slow, I kept thinking all of these negative thoughts - how I would never finish, always be slow, etc. etc. It is amazing how these thoughts keep invading! Don't know why - I was enjoying the sun and the jogging. Sometimes I am my own enemy I suppose. :grumble:

Next week, I move on to W3!
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    W4D3 Done!!! I took yesterday off from all exercise and WOW what a difference today. I was able, I think, because I was not utterly exhausted to just think about other things as I jogged, and I'd be surprised when it was time to stop. Grateful but surprised! :wink:

You are right Jlbay if you can manage to just think of other things it helps.

jdubard0413 - I have four big dogs, just not as big as that Rotty - and I know my pack, I don't know him. :wink: And he takes offense to the strange fat lady that runs past every other day. Hee hee. I've got an Elk hound, a German Short Haired pointer, a Lab and a pit bull. I can't take them all, it would be a crazy riot, and I don't want to take them one at a time until I know I can do this better, because I'm slow, and I've got a lot of hills. BUT it is in the plans for the future! I can't wait until I can take one or two at a time.

Meanness67 - You GO!!!!!!!! How cool is that! I will admit to being pretty afraid of next week, that 20 minute run seems REALLY long, but I'm going to give it a go, and try and follow your advice and be positive.

Good work everyone!!!!!! This is fantastic!!!
  • caseyamber
    Options
    I finished week 3 today! I am nervous to start week 4. I mean all the runs are timed in minutes instead of seconds now :wink:
  • Wecandothis
    Options
    I finished week 3 today! I am nervous to start week 4. I mean all the runs are timed in minutes instead of seconds now :wink:

You can do it! when you complete the first day you'll be thrilled and surprised that you did it so easily! Then we'll all celebrate!
  • Jessica130
    Options
    I'm in!

I need to get my butt off the couch!