Couch to 5K anyone?!? We start on monday!

Options

Replies

• CristinaAnn
    Options
    I did W1D1 yesterday. I think I'm going to have to repeat each week twice. I am so out of shape at 245 lbs. I did it though! My legs are sore today but I also did nautillus machines at the ymca when i finished which also has me so223363.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foodsre. I downloaded the podcast & plan to use it tomorrow.
  • sarahjbob
    Options
    I want to join. I have batted the idea around for about 3 years now. Love the idea of the podcast. I want to be totally focused on it.
  • TheNatKitchen
    TheNatKitchen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Am I too late to join? I completed W1 D1 yesterday and I am so proud of myself I could just explode. But man, I'm SLOW! I did whole thing in 20 minutes, then came home and mapped it (mapmyrun.com) and it was only 1.65 miles.

Today it's yoga and walking, then W1 D2 tomorrow :happy:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    For Suz podcast listeners - just a heads up! On week 3 she adds in an extra 90 second jog and recovery stretch than what is listed on the coolrunning website - it's not terrible - but she was sneaky and i wasn't prepared.

Also, she got funky on week 4 - didn't do vocal cues - and tells you to alternate running with walking when the songs change. I saw on her site that she goofed - and threw in an extra repetition of the 3 min jog/recovery period - which is HARD to do at week 4 (or at least, it was for me).

She made a new mix for week 4 w/Michael Jackson songs - so look for it on her site - hopefully will spare some confusion and be fun to run to. I just find it helps to know how long the jogging stretches are going to last.
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Ok...I thought I was retarded!!!! I have been stuck on week four for 3 weeks and it was because i was so tired that I couldnt complete the last 5 minute run but now tha tmakes more sense because I was confused at the last bit of her "non verbal cue" week becuase it seemed to be too long!

thanks for the tip. Im just headed out for W5D1 in 5 minutes!
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    W3D2 Completed!!!!

That's weird about that other Podcast - haven't been using that one. But I added another 90 second run on the end of Robert's anyway, I just go back to the start for the 5 minute cool down - I didn't think it was quite enough, and it was just under 30 minutes and I wanted to be sure to make 30 minutes.

Running is changing more than my health!!! I have never known my neighbors - we all just keep to ourselves in this quiet suburb - no one speaks, sometimes I'd wave and get a wave back, but that is the upper limit.

When I started this I know I was a curiosity. People out in their yards or driving up and down the cul-dee-sac would stare. Now suddenly people are smiling - waving, shouting greetings. It's amazing. This morning it was still dark, and a truck began to stop as it came down the street towards me. I got this sick feeling, that's usually not a good thing. But then this male voice shouted in a VERY encouraging way "You go girl, you keep up this hard work!"

I cried. I just cried tears of joy. That was not the reaction I thought I'd get. There is something else at work here. Wow.

I hope everyone else has as amazing a w3d2 as I did!
  • meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I was posting on another message board and got to the point where I was about the only one out there; so if it's OK, I'd like to post here.

I just did W4D2 this morning and did awesome - felt like I could've kept going! :glasses:

FYI - I do this program on the treadmill at 5am on M-W-F. I haven't used podcasts yet, just my own music and the timer on my treadmill - seems to work well for me. I start with 3 minutes warmup walk, then stop and stretch, then finish the final 2 minutes of the warmup walk - haven't had any trouble with shin splints or anything since doing it this way. After the first couple of weeks I also bought running shoes, which make a lot of difference.

Hope everyone has a great day! :wink: Keep it up - we CAN do this! :bigsmile:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    For Suz podcast listeners - just a heads up! On week 3 she adds in an extra 90 second jog and recovery stretch than what is listed on the coolrunning website - it's not terrible - but she was sneaky and i wasn't prepared.

Also, she got funky on week 4 - didn't do vocal cues - and tells you to alternate running with walking when the songs change. I saw on her site that she goofed - and threw in an extra repetition of the 3 min jog/recovery period - which is HARD to do at week 4 (or at least, it was for me).

She made a new mix for week 4 w/Michael Jackson songs - so look for it on her site - hopefully will spare some confusion and be fun to run to. I just find it helps to know how long the jogging stretches are going to last.

i use Suz's podcast too. I did see the two versions of week 4 when I downloaded, so I used to my advantage. I knew I was going to be on week 4 a little longer, so I started with the Michael Jackson mix for the first couple of days, then moved to the other (which has the extra run) Seemed to work for me. Now I'm on week 5, will do day 2 tonight.

Congrats to everyone for keeping going, we are all doing great :)
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Am I too late to join? I completed W1 D1 yesterday and I am so proud of myself I could just explode. But man, I'm SLOW! I did whole thing in 20 minutes, then came home and mapped it (mapmyrun.com) and it was only 1.65 miles.

Today it's yoga and walking, then W1 D2 tomorrow :happy:

Welcome - great to have you and congrats on completing day 1, you are going to love this program. Don't worry about the speed, you can always work on that later, just getting into the rhythm and building your stamina is the best focus at first.
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I completed week 5 day 2!!!!!! :drinker:
  • CristinaAnn
    Options
    I just tried w1d2 and did not do well. I think I need to try walking until I get to a point where I feel comfortable jogging. Does anyone else have trouble with the sides of their legs from the knees to their ankles? I had only walked 4 times before trying to start this program and weigh 245. I think I should give myself a couple of weeks of walking to be able to walk briskly for 30 minutes. Anyone else with this problem?
  • JessiJean
    JessiJean Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I used to get shin splints when I walked, but now my hip just throbs. I keep telling myself no pain no loose...Hopefully we will stop hurting soon and run like crazy.

If it hurts when not exercising, I would see your DR. Maybe your tore soemthing... :flowerforyou:
  • caseyamber
    Options
    W2D2 done and done. Another one in the bank! When am I supposed to start liking running? I keep waiting for those endorphins to kick in, but it hasnt happened yet.
  • m2kjenn
    Options
    caseyamber - You will get there - for me it was about week 4 that I really started feeling like a runner. I'm on week 5 now and really look forward to the runs. That is not to say it is not difficult, the first run especially still feels really tight and like work, but after that I loosen up and really am starting to enjoy it (like you I never thought I would say that)
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I just tried w1d2 and did not do well. I think I need to try walking until I get to a point where I feel comfortable jogging. Does anyone else have trouble with the sides of their legs from the knees to their ankles? I had only walked 4 times before trying to start this program and weigh 245. I think I should give myself a couple of weeks of walking to be able to walk briskly for 30 minutes. Anyone else with this problem?

YES! I weigh 240 and when I did W1D1 last week... I had pain from my ankle to my knee on the sides of my legs!

I thought maybe I'd injured myself, so I took the weekend off and re-started with W1D1 on Monday (doing W1D2 today). This time, I wore wider shoes (I have some pretty wide feet!) and there was no pain at all! Do you have wide feet, too?
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    W2 D2 - DONE!!

I don't know about the pain from the knee to the ankle, but my legs are definitely sore. All around my knees is sore. I'm jogging at a slower pace today, so it felt a little better. No pain during the run, but after, definite soreness. I'm hoping it just means I'm adjusting. I may repeat W2, too.
  • ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have plans to do a half marathon in march 2010. I've got a training schedule for it that starts in Nov.. but I'm going to start with this program next week and then kind of sync them up in November. I need to loose about 20lbs and am hoping this will do it.
    As a note my bf is deployed for the next 4 months, I've emailed him the half marathon training schedule and he's going to start running while he's over there and then when he gets home in Jan we'll train together... so we'll keep each other motivated... lord knows what the other will say if one of us has totally slacked the entire 4 months... endless teasing!
  • parrotlover
    parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I tried looking up that coolrunnings web site and it comes of 4domains or something. Also, I am interested but how do you even start and what do you do to work your way up???? Does the site explain it all?
  • parrotlover
    Options
    I tried looking up that coolrunnings web site and it comes of 4domains or something. Also, I am interested but how do you even start and what do you do to work your way up???? Does the site explain it all?
  • parrotlover
    Options
    ok found the site by googling but what i want to know is how you track the time?? Do yu get a stopwatch?