Carbs????

Options
Can anyone tell me how many carbs to stay "under" to lose weight???? I have seen everything from 50 to 100! Thanks!:drinker:

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how many carbs to stay "under" to lose weight???? I have seen everything from 50 to 100! Thanks!:drinker:

Figure out how much you burn each day, divide that number by 4 and there you go
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without cutting carbs. I eat over 200 a day and I still lose.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without cutting carbs. I eat over 200 a day and I still lose.

^^agree i eat about 150 a day.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    carbs are different for everyone, i try to stay under 100 and i lose pretty consistently when i'm paying attention to it.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    carbs are different for everyone, i try to stay under 100 and i lose pretty consistently when i'm paying attention to it.

ditto
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options

ditto

Double ditto.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Carbs have nothing, or very little, to do with weight loss.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,122 Member
    Options

ditto

Double ditto.

Tritto. Or is it up to quadritto?
  • justrun52
    justrun52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, it just depends on what works for you. I run a lot and I also eat mostly carbs. I lose weight as long as I stay within my calories for the day. This is just me, but I'm much more likely to stay on track and eat healthy (fruits, veggies, proteins) when I am satisfied with my carbs. I could never do a diet like the Atkins just because it's not realistic for me. Do what's best for you and something you can do long term (for life).
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

It does matter if you have a metabolic syndrome...I have to watch my carbs. I have IR, PCOS, and hypothyroid..so if I ate 200 carbs a day...I would not lose weight...
  • cinemaniac
    Options
    Ideally you should obtain 75% of your calories from carbohydrates with one HUGE caveat: make sure those carbs are high-quality, nutrient dense carbs from un-refined, plant-based sources. So fresh fruits, vegetables, legumes, and nuts, and a small amount of whole grains. Don't eat foods that are predominantly calories from refined sugar, wheat, rice, or corn. Refined is the key word there. The closer the food is to the way it is found in nature the better. Think corn on the cob vs high fructose corn syrup.

That percentage shouldn't change whether you are trying to lose weight or not. That is just the normal human amount. However, if you are trying to gain muscle for bodybuilding purposes, you can carve out another 4-8% as protein.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

It does matter if you have a metabolic syndrome...I have to watch my carbs. I have IR, PCOS, and hypothyroid..so if I ate 200 carbs a day...I would not lose weight...
    You're in the minority.

What matters is over all CALORIE intake. Does distribution of carbs matter?? Of course but to limit or remove a macro nutrient is abused in most cases.

People remove carbs first, because that affects body composition (carbs hold water). What they fail to realize is that carbs are needed for body functions and over all well being. The goal should be to consume as many carbs as people while you're still progressing to your goal.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Agreed... I eat an average of 320 grams a day and am still losing weight....
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    carbs are different for everyone

True. Calories are what is important.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to cut carbs in order to lose weight? Carbs matter if you have certain medical conditions. Otherwise, the FDA recommends getting up to 65% of your daily calories from carbohydrates.

A lot of people recommend cutting back on carbs to lose weight. There appear to be two reasons for that. The first is that protein and vegetables are more filling than carbohydrates, so it makes cutting calories easier. The second is that they think that upping protein and cutting carbs will encourage the body to make use of stored fat for energy and not as much lean muscle (I don't know if this is scientifically true or if it's just bro-science). Also, if you are increasing your exercise, the protein will help repair your muscles, so a smaller percentage of your calories will come from carbs.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

You're in the minority.

What matters is over all CALORIE intake. Does distribution of carbs matter?? Of course but to limit or remove a macro nutrient is abused in most cases.

People remove carbs first, because that affects body composition (carbs hold water). What they fail to realize is that carbs are needed for body functions and over all well being. The goal should be to consume as many carbs as people while you're still progressing to your goal.

Yes in the mnority and even then that still doesn't matter... I am a type 2 diabetic and was insulin resistant but through diet and exercise have reversed the disease but never restricted carb intake to accomplish this.... I just changed the kinda food I was eating...
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Eat as many as you want within your cals. So long as you are eating to a calorie deficit you will lose weight no matter what you're eating.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options

You're in the minority.

Yes in the mnority and even then that still doesn't matter... I am a type 2 diabetic and was insulin resistant but through diet and exercise have reversed the disease but never restricted carb intake to accomplish this.... I just changed the kinda food I was eating...

Doesn't this regard the type of carbs that one consumes? Heavilly processed 'white' carbs are going to play havoc with diabetes/insulin because they're packed full of sugar so don't give all carbs a bad name! ; )
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    The amount you eat in carbs is irrelevant to your weight loss. I believe anything under 100 a day is considered low carb - MFP gives me about 150, and I am quite small. Not that I ever hit that, but that is my recommendation. Of course, if you are exercising a lot you need more. When I have had under 100g of carbs a day for any length of time I find my stamina really starts to suffer.
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

I love my carbs and I have hypothyroidism. I take 175 and 150 mcg alternating days. I had trouble losing weight until I really made an effort to exercise. One hour a day was what it took for me. I used to eat 1500-1900 calories when I first started losing. Now I eat over 2500. I eat a lot of carbs. I'm also in the best shape of my life. I feel 20-30 years younger. I drive my kids crazy. I run with my grandkids. I run, swim, climb, roller blade and hang upside down from the monkey bars : )