Calories burned exaggerations

Options

Replies

• mistylovesmusic
    Options
    Does anyone remember a time when you didn't fret over misguided calorie burns? Meaning the days before MFP or the millions of sources on the internet. This is an arguement that will have no end like so many others on here. The simple point is, eat healthy and burn more calories than you consume. Estimate low and all will be good!

P.S. I am not a doctor nor do I have a degree that tells me this. I'm just going off of what I learned in health class as a kid.
  • runny111
    runny111 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    "I've burned as many as 893 calories in 57 minutes of running about 9-10 min/mile and I weigh only 174 lbs... and I'm a woman.

I can burn 1500 calories running for 2 hours straight.

These calculations are from my Garmin Forerunner 410, which subtracts your BMR calories from your burn... and I do eat them back... because I'm eating to fuel my running and run well. Some weeks I'm not trying to lose weight. When I am trying to lose weight I can eat 2100 calories/day and the weight melts off..."

Actually, I think 1500cals/hr or 750cals/hour is 12cals/min which sounds about right to me for a 174lb person.

I too would burn 1400cals for a two hour session of half marathon training.

(I am just not fit enough yet to run that long right now).

The only thing I would add is that you may need to deduct 1-2cals/min for your BMR to get NCB for the workout.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Does anyone remember a time when you didn't fret over misguided calorie burns? Meaning the days before MFP or the millions of sources on the internet. This is an arguement that will have no end like so many others on here. The simple point is, eat healthy and burn more calories than you consume. Estimate low and all will be good!

P.S. I am not a doctor nor do I have a degree that tells me this. I'm just going off of what I learned in health class as a kid.

YOU'RE NOT A DOCTOR?! WHAT?! YOU HAVE NO PLACE HERE!

hahaha
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

But I'm actually trying to gain weight...so I have to estimate *high* calorie burn and *low* food...
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options

hahaha

I know... Darn my need to fill the world with my uneducated knowledge! It's a character flaw. lol
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options

But I'm actually trying to gain weight...so I have to estimate *high* calorie burn and *low* food...

Two words.... Pizza, TV.... And don't flip channels. Burns to many calories.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options

hahaha

I know... Darn my need to fill the world with my uneducated knowledge! It's a character flaw. lol

I will never bow down to you
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I was never negative....if you read it to be so, I cannot help that. Im a blunt person. I mean well, but it may not come out the way people like. My apologies.

There we go. I'm a direct person too (and a bit of an a-hole) and I've learned that people don't take directness well (especially from an a-hole). Admittedly, Your opening "YOU GUYS..." was a bit *shouty* and pointed the finger at a large swatch of people (including me!). But you clarified yourself well in later posts and apologized, and we've now beaten this topic into the ground.

Let's all jump over to the Exercise and Fitness threads and berate the *kitten* out of some poor poster over there. We'll descend on them like locusts! They'll never know what hit them. Who's with me?
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options

hahaha

I will never bow down to you

This has ruined my day... I am now crawling under my desk to assume the fetal position while dreaming of your awesome abs... Seriously, I'm green with envy and that's not a good color for me.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone jumping on the original poster! I get annoyed by people over exagerrating their burns as well. Even if they do claim to use a HRM. Can I just remove them? Yes but sometimes I might not want to.

I find it impossible to burn 1,000 calories doing housework. Seriously. No way. SOme people really do need some education on what they are acutally burning.

I'm confused as to why the calories burned by OTHER people, annoy you? I'm not a doctor or scientist but am pretty sure what they eat and burn won't cause you to gain/lose any weight.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I was never negative....if you read it to be so, I cannot help that. Im a blunt person. I mean well, but it may not come out the way people like. My apologies.

There we go. I'm a direct person too (and a bit of an a-hole) and I've learned that people don't take directness well (especially from an a-hole). Admittedly, Your opening "YOU GUYS..." was a bit *shouty* and pointed the finger at a large swatch of people (including me!). But you clarified yourself well in later posts and apologized, and we've now beaten this topic into the ground.

Let's all jump over to the Exercise and Fitness threads and berate the *kitten* out of some poor poster over there. We'll descend on them like locusts! They'll never know what hit them. Who's with me?

At first, I was all like, "This David guy and I just do not get along"...

...and then I was all like, "but he makes some good points"....

...and then I was all like, "but it isn't that big a deal to me so I'll just let it go"....

...and then he went all like Braveheart and I was like, "they may take our lives, but they will never take...our freedom!" and I was ready to grab a sharp pointy thing and charge into the fray on the Exercise and Fitness threads.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Why is everyone jumping on the original poster! I get annoyed by people over exagerrating their burns as well. Even if they do claim to use a HRM. Can I just remove them? Yes but sometimes I might not want to.

I find it impossible to burn 1,000 calories doing housework. Seriously. No way. SOme people really do need some education on what they are acutally burning.

I'm confused as to why the calories burned by OTHER people, annoy you? I'm not a doctor or scientist but am pretty sure what they eat and burn won't cause you to gain/lose any weight.

And you, ma'am, are late to this discussion and need to actually read through the previous posts before posting. We covered that pages ago.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Now if you will all please excuse me, I'm going on a trail run...

...where I will dutifully record whatever number of calories burned iMapMyFitness tells me.

And then I will proceed to eat a third, half, or all of them back...
  • Ltd73
    Ltd73 Posts: 2
    Options
    I've seen people say they burned 1,000 calories for an hour of Zumba. That's impossible. Plus, an hour long zumba class includes warm up and warm downs. You need to RUN 10/mph for an hour to burn that.

Oh I dunno, I've been to some WILD Zumba classes! I suppose it also depends on what size you are. I would probably use up more energy than someone skinnier than me, just because of the greater effort required on my part..... no?
  • MsDivineM
    MsDivineM Posts: 48
    Options
    I have burned over 1000 doing an hour of zumba but I am also very overweight. I'm now burning around 800 cuz i have lost 22 pounds in 6 weeks!
  • RunFatGuyRun
    RunFatGuyRun Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree not to use MFP or the machine to calculate calories burned, but I bought a HRM 2 months ago and I go by that. It higher than both the machine and MFP, but Im overweight.
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    I use MFP/Elliptical/Other Websites that all seem to be in line with each other. I figure as long as i keep losing what the heck. If and when I can afford a HRM I will make that investment and go from there. What I don't get is house work logged as exercise. i figure if I got fat doing those types of chores then I can't count it to lose weight.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    A FRIGGIN MEN!!!!
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you're meeting your goals using whatever measurement tools you're using, that's all that matters.
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    So true! All the machines and MFP were telling me I was burning double, even triple what I actually was! I try to tell everyone this too (: