The men who made us fat

Options

Replies

• Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    It was on BBC 2 on the 14.6.12 at 9pm
    It's not really pointing the finger.. The first episode is about the invention of high fructose corn syrup and other new foods eg. frozen foods, but it focuses more on the cultural changes in the world around food. Such as snacking and eating more pre-prepared food. Also about how there are a lot of us that have no idea about food and what is in it. There is also some science in it, about the physical and mental affects on the body. I think that it was pretty well rounded. (is not good at explaining it)

Interesting concept........although I can't place the *blame* on any one person but myself,
    those who've engineered food items like HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) have made a HUGE (no pun intended) impact
    on the health of the consumer- to the negative side.

in regards to HFCS> I read up on the subject, and make it a point to steer clear of it as much as possible- just because I can find food items WITHOUT it, so I prefer to err on the safer side.
    Don't FREAK out IF I eat it on occasion, but in the foods I buy, I choose NOT to eat it.
    Even the hubs- who doesn't care what he eats- is losing belly fat because it's not in our main food supply anymore.
    That confirms to me I'm making the right choice in that dep't.

So, NO, the guy(s) who engineered HFCS might not have "made me fat" but they played a role in it.

And I'd like to see him go broke now.
    That's a fair payback I think.
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    i fully take the blame for my weight gain. But i'm a part of the generation born in the 90's to obese parents who never taught me anything about food and fed me, not badly but they both worked full time and so i got a lot of baked beans on toast, tinned spaghetti on toast etc. There is the fact that i also have autism and i struggle to change my diet. So everything that i know about food is either the little education i got about it in school, college and what i've learned off my own back.
  • DGHayden
    DGHayden Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    A lovely guy named Jack Daniels significantly contributed to me getting fat.

^^^This
  • anna9102
    anna9102 Posts: 56
    Options
    i saw it, and it was really good! it was a debate over the two men who founded the idea of sugar vs fat in weight gain. Very interesting.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Sound very interesting
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    The food industry is definitely not health-centric, except for our hero the "DIET INDUSTRY" ....oh, which is also not health centric, but makes a ton of money out of slimy marketing claims that their "reduced fat!" food with jacked up sugar and sodium contents and a list of synthetic ingredients are good for us.

All Natural! Sprite

All Natural! Orange juice made from powder.

Skittles! A fat free food.

I'm not an "eat clean" person, I still buy packaged products, but you really do have to check the nutritional info and learn how to understand it. And the more foods you buy that don't come with a label, usually, the better off you are...

It's a jungle out there, but I am the panther.

Oh, sorry. I'm a T-Rex. Rawr.
  • darlenem12
    darlenem12 Posts: 18
    Options
    No I haven't, but that sounds scary lol! Too many carbs that caused me my weight gain and stress from not sleeping good, for the last 4 yrs.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    No one makes you fat, but yourself.
    Why anyone would believe differently is beyond comprehension.
  • skoshness
    skoshness Posts: 175
    Options
    I just watched it, found it really interesting, it makes me angry that the big food corporations have no interest in giving people healthy food, it's all about profit, so they found substances to use eg. Corn syrup that is highly addictive and messes with the production of lectin in the body that tells you when you've had enough to eat. They put high amounts of sugar in "low fat healthy" foods, it's obscene
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I don't blame any men for making us fat, I blame the feminists.

:laugh:

Well if you'd learned to cook and grocery shop for yourself, it wouldn't have been a problem, would it?
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Next weeks episode is on the 'invention' of larger portions, the supersize portions.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't blame any men for making us fat, I blame the feminists.

:laugh:

Well if you'd learned to cook and grocery shop for yourself, it wouldn't have been a problem, would it?

I am a stay at home mom. As such I have the time to educate myself on my family's nutritional needs, shop as often as I need to for fresh ingredients and spend a good portion of the day cooking good, balanced meals for my family from scratch.

Take that as you will.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    My wife makes me chubby :bigsmile:
  • Shrinkydinkydoo
    Shrinkydinkydoo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    There was an article on this

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jun/11/why-our-food-is-making-us-fat

Very interesting read.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    My wife gives me a chubby :bigsmile:

fixed it for ya.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: dang it why do all my problems start with "men"
    menopause menstruation....
  • brklnlrsn
    brklnlrsn Posts: 28
    Options
    Nope.

My overeating and sitting my *kitten* on the couch is what made me fat. Since nobody held me down and shoved food into my mouth, I won't watch anything that points blame at anyone else.

THIS. Thank you. It's your own fault for being over weight. No one else's.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I just watched it, found it really interesting, it makes me angry that the big food corporations have no interest in giving people healthy food, it's all about profit, so they found substances to use eg. Corn syrup that is highly addictive and messes with the production of lectin in the body that tells you when you've had enough to eat. They put high amounts of sugar in "low fat healthy" foods, it's obscene

OMG! Because there are just NO Other options...we should starve ourselves.
    Seriously...next time you go through the store, LOOK. There are plenty of healthy options. They make crap food because they can. YOU have the choice to either eat it or not. /facepalm
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, I'd missed it but just had a scan through. I think it's a good programme, there's a little headline sensationalism going on but then they have to try to attract people to watch it!

When I first joined MFP I was utterly appalled by the whole story behind HFCS and also what's fed as school meals, I had to do a lot of googling to believe some of what I read.

The UK isn't quite so far down the road as the US and a bit of an economic crisis might do us some favours, so I hope - certainly where I am there's a reaction against processed foods and using supermarkets, and a lot of co-operatives and grow-your-own schemes springing up.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Geez and all I thought reading the subject to this thread was

"My man definitely did the complete opposite for me!"