Birth Control Options

Options
kristalfrissy
kristalfrissy Posts: 158 Member
I have not used birth control in years. My husband and I use other methods (lol). anyway--I have been considering getting on some type but I don't know what kind to try. I did try the nuvaring several years back but it didn'k work out for me. I have heard that pills can cause weight gain which would obviously suck. Does anybody have any recommendations???

Replies

• skinyZ
    skinyZ Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    this is a hard one, i know that the pill has made me put on weight, which is why i have just come off it! every womans body is different though...sorry not much help!
    good luck on finding the right one
  • BrightEyesx3
    BrightEyesx3 Posts: 335
    Options
    I went on the pill and actually lost weight, it depends on your body though. Have you thought about getting a vasectomy for your husband? There's obviously condoms, and also I know some people who have an IUD. Have you ever used the patches?
  • kristalfrissy
    Options
    No I haven't tried patches or the shot or anything. I don't think my husband would be down for a vasectomy. My BIL just had it done and he was pretty uncomfortable for a couple of weeks so now I really don't think he would do it.
  • BrightEyesx3
    BrightEyesx3 Posts: 335
    Options
    No I haven't tried patches or the shot or anything. I don't think my husband would be down for a vasectomy. My BIL just had it done and he was pretty uncomfortable for a couple of weeks so now I really don't think he would do it.

Well you could always discuss different options with your doctor and figure out which one is right for you.
  • SexyMidnight
    SexyMidnight Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    my husband got a vasectomy sex is much better with out complications like condoms and me having to take a pill i might forget and end up with another noodle!
  • rwinnie2
    rwinnie2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have an coil fitted had them for nearly twenty years on and off, I have the marina hormone one which means I might have a period every three months or so and I will only last a day.

No weight gain as its direct to the womb. There is the fitting issue and I can cause cramping in some but I love it.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    For anyone who is absolutely sure you don't want more children, get your tubes tied. Have you seen all those commercials on TV from lawyers drumming up business due to people who have been killed or injured using hormone birth control?

One of the best decisions I ever made was to get em tied (actually cut and burned) while I had good health insurance. I got up off the table and they had to push me back down, as I was ready to head out the door. No pain, no mess, no side effects, and I was helping a friend move two days later (okay, I shouldn't have been doing that, but I was!).
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I didn't experience any gain with my pill, but everyone is indeed different. I'm sure you can discuss it with your doctor. Mine said to try the pill first, and if I had weight gain issues, she'd be more than happy to re-evaluate.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    implanon, gose in the arm,...may cause weight gain/loss:huh: and mood swings:sad: :bigsmile: :sad: :mad: :laugh: :tongue: :angry: :grumble: also loss of TOM....:drinker:
  • mathgirl
    mathgirl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The pill has been a dream for me. No weight gain, no cramps, no pms, barely noticeable periods, horrible acne cleared up, and im not anemic anymore
  • megannicolex33
    Options
    I have the Implanon and I HATE it. For about 6 months, I had no period at all, but now it's extremely unpredictable - I'll have a horribly heavy one for 3 weeks, nothing for a month, a light one for 4 days, a heavy one for a week, etc... I never ever know what to expect so I just have to always be prepared. Also, before my Implanon, I NEVER had acne. Really. But now, it's all over my chest and my back - disgusting! To make matters even worse, it's made my hair start to fall out (I'm only 21). It's thinned out considerably; even my hair dresser noticed. Definitely going to look at different methods ASAP.

So basically, stay away from Implanon!!
  • kristalfrissy
    Options
    I have the Implanon and I HATE it. For about 6 months, I had no period at all, but now it's extremely unpredictable - I'll have a horribly heavy one for 3 weeks, nothing for a month, a light one for 4 days, a heavy one for a week, etc... I never ever know what to expect so I just have to always be prepared. Also, before my Implanon, I NEVER had acne. Really. But now, it's all over my chest and my back - disgusting! To make matters even worse, it's made my hair start to fall out (I'm only 21). It's thinned out considerably; even my hair dresser noticed. Definitely going to look at different methods ASAP.

So basically, stay away from Implanon!!

yikes!! thanks for your post. thats sounds extremely sucky
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have the paragard iud. Good for 10 years. I have had it in for 2 yrs. with no side effects. It has no hormones. I love it!
  • kristalfrissy
    Options
    The pill has been a dream for me. No weight gain, no cramps, no pms, barely noticeable periods, horrible acne cleared up, and im not anemic anymore

cool. good to know. thanks
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    The pull out method!!!
  • kristalfrissy
    Options
    The pull out method!!!

well, uhumm, been there done that. tired of it.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    For anyone who is absolutely sure you don't want more children, get your tubes tied. Have you seen all those commercials on TV from lawyers drumming up business due to people who have been killed or injured using hormone birth control?

One of the best decisions I ever made was to get em tied (actually cut and burned) while I had good health insurance. I got up off the table and they had to push me back down, as I was ready to head out the door. No pain, no mess, no side effects, and I was helping a friend move two days later (okay, I shouldn't have been doing that, but I was!).

Good info. I'm thinking of getting it done. Hormonal bc makes me crazy and not in the mood.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Good info. I'm thinking of getting it done. Hormonal bc makes me crazy and not in the mood.

You're old enough, especially if you already have at least one child.

To be honest, I lied to the surgeon and said I was engaged when I wasn't to cinch the deal. A lot of them will not do it even if you're older unless you're married or engaged (and what does that tell you about who makes the procreation decisions in this world, when they'll tie off a man at age 22 with no questions?).

Anyway, be sure. Really sure that even if your next relationship is with a guy who springs the, "I want kids" speech on you, that no matter what, you don't.

If you have any doubt at all, go for tied. Tied isn't as guaranteed and isn't as pain free, but it's more reversable.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I have always been on the pill and it's effective for us. I don't know about weight gain because I've always been a big girl. All the others really scare me!
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    IUD!!

I got mine in 4 years ago and dont have to think about little bambino's for another 6 years... its awesome.. no pill no pullout no rubbers!