Anyone have any hacks for drinking more water?

Options

Replies

• Imthempres
    Imthempres Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I bought two BPA-free plastic water bottles. They are each 24 ounces and have a rubber grip on the outside. I keep one filled in the car and one in the house. They have a straw, which is my saving grace. I was having difficulty gulping down any decent amount until I got these.
    I also count green tea as water. I finally found one that I like and have it either hot or iced without any sweetener.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I doubled my water intake when I discovered Mio (or actually, the Great Value version, which is much cheaper). Sure it has some controversial sweeteners, but I've found it doesn't stall me.
  • Jamee_J
    Jamee_J Posts: 63
    Options
    I have a couple of tricks. I have a 24oz. water bottle that has a straw. I keep this bottle with me at all times. When it is almost empty, I take the top off and drink the rest while I am walking to refill it. I also have some ice cube trays that make pebble ice. I have made strawberry ice cubes, blueberry ice cubes, lemon ice-cubes, lime ice-cubes and regular. I keep them in baggies in my freezer so I have an option. Sometimes I use the orange MIO flavoring. And at work I keep Lemon essential oil that can be ingested. It makes my water smell divine. I usually end up drinking between 15-21 glasses of water a day. and I am not forcing it down. Good Luck:)
  • belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    The one thing I don't think I have seen here yet is one little thing that will be very annoying at first... and that is when you ramp up your water intake you will need to urinate... a lot. The thing to remember is that this is NOT a sign you have drank too much water. But it is something you will have to put up with for a while so make sure you drink strategically and not slam too much water at one time.

The good side is that if your body got a lot of its water from the food you ate, you may find yourself less hungry as your body will no longer be triggering hunger.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I carry around a 16 oz cup with a straw with me. I can drink like 6 in a day O.O I really don't have a problem drinking water at all any more, I love it!.. Used to only drink Sweet Tea.. didn't feel good all the time. Now I feel terrible if I don't drink plenty of water.. =)
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    the last few days i have been having difficulty drinking my water intake - and im usually pretty good about it!

i wanted to chew something not chug something. so what i did was take a bunch of ice, put it in the food processor, then pulse it until i got a shaved ice effect. ten i just ate it with a spoon. :)

I love this idea. I love ice but have to force myself to drink plain water.:drinker: I like to crunch ice more than just swallow water, especially as it has been sitting next to me and get luke warm. YUCK :grumble: I have decided to look for a snow cone maker or slushy maker I can add just sugar free koolaid for the syrup taste. I love SF Koolaid and ice so this will be the answer maybe you want to do the same thing. My husband laughs at me and says I am regressing back to a child. :laugh:
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Yummy -- I just re-discovered True Lemon and the company's new products: True Orange and True Grapefruit. My local stores didn't have it, so I ordered it online directly from the company. They had a special to get delivery for $2.95, and because I ordered more than $10 worth, I got a free package. It really make the water go down quickly
  • belinus
    Options
    Yummy -- I just re-discovered True Lemon and the company's new products: True Orange and True Grapefruit. My local stores didn't have it, so I ordered it online directly from the company. They had a special to get delivery for $2.95, and because I ordered more than $10 worth, I got a free package. It really make the water go down quickly

MiO is good too. A little expensive but offers some variety. True Lemon/True Lime were my favs though.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of tricks. I have a 24oz. water bottle that has a straw. I keep this bottle with me at all times. When it is almost empty, I take the top off and drink the rest while I am walking to refill it. I also have some ice cube trays that make pebble ice. I have made strawberry ice cubes, blueberry ice cubes, lemon ice-cubes, lime ice-cubes and regular. I keep them in baggies in my freezer so I have an option. Sometimes I use the orange MIO flavoring. And at work I keep Lemon essential oil that can be ingested. It makes my water smell divine. I usually end up drinking between 15-21 glasses of water a day. and I am not forcing it down. Good Luck:)

I have never heard of ice cube trays that make pebble ice. Please tell me online where I can purchase them? This is awesome idea and making fruit cubes also. I know this will work for me because my water bottle gets luke warm and like I said I need my water hot or cold but luke warm ...I just want to spew out of my mouth!
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

MiO is good too. A little expensive but offers some variety. True Lemon/True Lime were my favs though.
    What I like about the True Lemon products is that it doesn't have any sweeteners. I believe it's just the crystallized fruit, so it's a little more refreshing than the products that are sweet. But thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to check out the Mio flavorings.
  • belinus
    Options
    What I like about the True Lemon products is that it doesn't have any sweeteners. I believe it's just the crystallized fruit, so it's a little more refreshing than the products that are sweet. But thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to check out the Mio flavorings.

MiO uses sucralose which is no calories and no glycemic effect.
  • hddeuce1966
    hddeuce1966 Posts: 104
    Options
    How do you find out how much water you are supposed to drink per day. I'm new to this and there many things I don't know yet. I just pay attention to the color of my urine and if it is darker than lemonade I start guzzling water. I can down a 48 oz. bottle pretty easily and within an hour the color will change back to lemonade.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Eight cups of water every day is not that hard to do. You probably already do drink enough. Water can be replaced in part with coffee, tea, diet soda. Just be sure when you set out your meal, you also set out your water and be sure you drink it before you leave the table. Because diet soda is more delicious than water, you are more likely to finish it. . . so it is better than nothing at all.

Drink 1 cup of water on rising
    2 cups of coffee in the morning
    2 cups of water or diet soda with lunch
    1 cup of water in the afternoon
    2 cups of water with dinner
    1-2 cups of water to wash down pills

That's 9-10 cups

My blood pressure is high too . . . due to my weight. Are you feeling better?

Ruth
    I need to figure out a way to psych myself into drinking more water too. My doctor said that my heart rate is actually high because I'm constantly dehydrated. When I'm at the office it's usually 120 bpm o.0. That is the one major thing I need to work on and I just can't seem to figure out how to remember to drink water!
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    drink tons of coffee.
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Is more always more?

That sounds like an awful lot of water. You must spend all day between the loo & the tap. Surely if you just drink (non-sweetened) fluids to your thirst / light hunger that'll be enough?
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Drink 1 cup of water on rising
    2 cups of coffee in the morning
    2 cups of water or diet soda with lunch
    1 cup of water in the afternoon
    2 cups of water with dinner
    1-2 cups of water to wash down pills

That's 9-10 cups

!!! this. I forget who suggested that I drink a bottle of water when I start my day. We've been 7-8 hours more or less without any fluid intake. It helps set up your day. I don't usually have any water issues, I make the recommended amount easily and always drink more when I am exercising. I don't drink diet soda, except very very rarely anymore, it has always interrupted my weightloss.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    I'm sure this has been said, however, I keep a 32 oz cup or bottle with me at all times. and I rarely let it sit empty.
    That keeps me drinking my water all day.
  • roachtg
    roachtg Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like to add some fruit or cucumbers to my water just to give it a little flavor sometimes. Very refreshing
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I need to figure out a way to psych myself into drinking more water too. My doctor said that my heart rate is actually high because I'm constantly dehydrated. When I'm at the office it's usually 120 bpm o.0. That is the one major thing I need to work on and I just can't seem to figure out how to remember to drink water!

just keep a bottle/glass near you at all times. A lot of people find that a health scare is enough to make them thirsty :) Mine was a 14mm kidney stone. 3 surgeries in 3 WEEKS to get rid of it, 24 hour urine collections every six months to make SURE that I am hydrated and not forming stones, AND daily potassium ( apparently I am chronically low and my urine is not acid enough).

my first hint is to maybe get a 64oz container ( I think you can get a jug with a handle and a sports top at walmart for a few $$), fill it part way with crushed ice, then top it off with water. Set a goal to finish ALL of that ONE jug in a day. Keep it close at hand and you will most likely finish it without even thinking about it.
  • sneekspeete
    sneekspeete Posts: 136
    Options
    I have always had trouble with water intake, i'd love to know an easy way to make sure I get it!
    I just never really think or remember that I need to drink it. I'm pretty picky too, it has to be ice cold or I hate it :p

I don't like drinking water either unless its ICE cold. Recently I have been putting either a little lemon or lime juice in mine to give it a little flavor. It helps me I try and drink about a gallon of water a day. Aarrgghh. Its a lot for someone who only used to drink diet Coke.!
    I tried Mio and crystal light stuff but because of the sucralose which is Splenda -if I drank 2 much, I spent all day in the bathroom -not peeing. So now its plain old water True Lemon n True lime is GREAT I haven't seen the grapefruit one but I will look for it and try it.