Options

Replies

• Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    Whats friendly and whats a Gym perv ?

If the person is good looking/cute then he/she is friendly

If an ugo, then perv/creeper

As bad as this sounds theres a degree of truth there...if theres a mutual attraction a perv can be viewed as friendly and if there isnt a genuinely friendly person can creep you out
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    depends on the approach. I rarely have this concern though since I'm aware of the hot mess I look in the gym. But overall I don't mind a chat just come correct.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I've had men talk to me in the gym, but I'm not super chatty there because I honestly don't want do disturb other peoples' workouts. I'm hyper aware that a lot of people are there to focus on their workouts and don't like distractions. If it's in the lobby area or the cafe, I don't mind and I'll happily chat back, but I tend to be very short with my replies in the gym environment....
  • skinyZ
    skinyZ Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm quite friendly and i always make the mistake of thinking guys are just being friendly like me when they are actually chatting me up! doh!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    The object of the gym for me is to get in and get out. I don't want to lose focus so I will wear my headphones the whole time.
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

^^ Sad, but true.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    A small upside of being 62 is that I'm pretty sure that if someone speaks to me at the gym that they aren't hitting on me.
    Other than my husband and his trainer, only two men have spoken to me in the gym in the two years I've gone there.
    One guy said to me, "I hate this song", and I agreed.
    The other fellow I speak to pretty regularly because he is a fellow Mini Cooper owner and he's about my son's age.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    It's been my experience that (hetero) men will rarely speak to a woman they are not attracted to...and if you say hello or whatever back to them they will take that as an invitation that you are also interested in them. Heaven forbid you smile at them! LOL. I try to be courteous to everyone and I will say hello back but I make sure to position my hand so they can't fail to see my WEDDING ring.
  • BROscience_PHD
    BROscience_PHD Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You could be jessica biel doing squats in leggings and wife beater, I wont talk to you. I have 40 minutes in the gym and those 40 minutes are for *kitten* kicking, and *kitten* kicking only. after my session by the shake bar, I might look your way but nothing more than that because were all sweaty and stinky so its not really an attractive environment.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options

I find this comment super insensitive and shallow :ohwell:

HqRtz.jpg
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I work out in my basement . . . the only perv there is me.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

I find this comment super insensitive and shallow :ohwell:

HqRtz.jpg

LMAO
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think when a 40 year old looking guy asks me if I need help and then every time I see him at the pool he gives me the googly eye and is all smiley, then he seems kind of creepy to me. If a guy asks me if I'm using such and such piece of equipment or something like that, then he is not creepy. You can usually tell by the way they talk and kind of hang around by you. Leave me aloonneee I just want to work out!!
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I talk to several guys at the gym.... don't think they are pervs. They usually spot me when I do my lifting they are really nice.....some awful guys in there that make their opinion know that women have no place to lift! but I don't care about their numpty ideas!
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Be honest? OK. It depends how cute he is.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    This is why I always choose machines next to guys. Then its not so creepy. I also tend to chat the same guys up in the shower afterwards.
    I'm not sure women have this, but a few of the guys at the place do this locker room cooldown, it really helps.
    Its like a massage on the changing bench. Its a little weird at first.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    No one ever talks to me, except the trainers. However, it would really just depend on the nature of the conversation as to whether I would think I was being hit on or not.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    just idle chit chat
  • iamkarent
    iamkarent Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I had a funny experience...

Was a regular at the gym for months...similar time...and always did some cardio...so when I had my gall bladder out...I had to take a couple weeks off...

Well..I went back in and was doing a walk on a treadmill...and this guy walked over...and says..

OMG..how have you been? Welcome back..I wondered where you had been....

The look on my face had to be extremely puzzled...and I was thinking...Ummm..I'm sorry ...do I know you?LOL

He immediately turned RED! And talking a mile a minute...saying OMG I am an idiot...you must think I am some looney stalker...

I promise...I am not...it is just I am always here doing cardio when you were...and it gets boring and I look around..and always saw you and admired your progress(about 40 lbs lost at that time) and had noticed you hadn't been in...geez I opened my mouth without thinking...I am so sorry...

From that moment on we always said hello...and I teased him calling him "creeper"...but honestly he was just a nice guy...bored while working out..

But there are certainly some who are creepy...or who are obviously there more scoping the place than for a workout...
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I try to block every body out at the gym all together. I don't see it as a social environment. Although I have known many people that treat it as a business environment, sharing ideas, getting new clients etc I have no intention of speaking to any body.

I have never had a woman talk to me other than to ask a few pointers about boxing and one time there was this uncomfortable cold air blowing in from the yoga studio onto the machines and the woman running next to me, we both shared a "that is uncomfortably cold" statement.

I hate the locker room hoverers though. Don't talk to me in the locker room or the steam room or any where near the showers. Yes I am completely comfortable with my sexuality and no I have nothing against homosexuality it is just not my style to talk to a naked dude. It is an awkward enough social interaction for me without adding the fact that you are standing their naked.

My general advice, treat every one at the gym as if they are trying to rape you. Makes your cardio go quicker when someone walks behind you on a machine !