Steel Cut Oats. I failed Miserably

Options
Krazy_Kat
Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
Alright how the hell do you cook them. I love my cooked breakfasts, with meat etc. I thought I'd experiment with oats once a week, just for a change. I couldn't decide how to cook them. I eventually settled on the rice cooker. (I don't have a stove) and flavoured it with some blueberries. AND OMG PURPLE FROTHY STUFF WENT EVERYWHERE. It was on the floor, on the wall, on the cupboard on the window. It didn't taste that nice and I'll never get the stain out!

I want a nice easy steel cut oat recipe that I can set and forget and have a morning off intense cooking. I have a crockpot/slow cooker.

Please....Help....Me

Replies

• tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how too slow cook them, but my family swears I make the best and I just follow the recipe. It really doesn't take that long. What brand are you using?
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    I bought them in bulk, no idea what brand. They're in plain packaging so no recipe,
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I made a mess with steel cut oats in my rice cooker too! Do it on the stove- put the water, pinch of salt and oats in a pot on low-medium for 25 mins. At that time check on them and add whatever other ingredients you want to add, so you don't cook the fruit to death. Check on them every 2 or 3 minutes, they should be done in about 30 mins total. They're done whenever they get to a texture you like.

ETA- bring to a boil, Then low-medium cook. I don't know if it makes a difference.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,391 Member
    Options
    I LOVE steal cut oats! Try going to trader joes, they have the best!:drinker:
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I don't have a stove though....
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    1 cup steel oats
    2 cups apple juice
    2 cups water
    2 apples peeled and chopped
    sprinkle (or a bit more) cinnamon

Crock Pot
    3-4 hours on high
    or
    6-8 hours on low (I prefer on low and usually cook 7ish hours)

Delicious!!!
  • ijiiii
    ijiiii Posts: 61
    Options
    I blend them in my smoothies. I use a Vitamix blender (high quality) and blend oats, whole milk, oranges, yogurt, and ice cubes. Of course that is a more of a bulking smoothie so you many want to use a different combination of foods. However blending them is the best way I found to eat them.
  • GrandmaJackie
    Options

At Trader Joes you can get them frozen and microwave them! Everyone I WORK WITH LOVES THEM! I get the the instant ones and add blueberrys!!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I don't have an actual crockpot, just a rice cooker so I don't have experience there- allrecipes.com has tons of slow cooker steel cut oats recipe though.
  • Naturally_sassy0525
    Naturally_sassy0525 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I bring one cup milk to a boil..pour in 1/4 cup of the Quaker steel cut oats and let simmer on low for 20-30 min depending on how you like the texture of your oatmeal.
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I have made overnight oats using steel cut. No cooking required. 1/4 cup oats, 1/4 cup yogurt, 1/3 cup milk, 1Tbsp chia seeds (I use flax seeds) (I think this would be optional, you could omit both). Put in a canning jar or coffee cup or whatever and cover. Leave overnight. Eat. I like it.
  • GrandmaJackie
    Options
    1 cup steel oats
    2 cups apple juice
    2 cups water

Crock Pot
    3-4 hours on high
    or

Delicious!!!

Wow, I WILL HAVE TO TRY! What kind of steet cut oats do you use?
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options
    In my slow cooker I put -

1 cup of steel cut oats
    1.5 cups of water
    1.5 cups of unsweetened almond milk
    1 whole apple chopped up
    half a teaspoon of cinnamon
    half a teaspoon of nutmeg
    Stevia extract

Mix it all up and put on low temp on the slow cooker for 8 hours. (Turn it on just as you go to bed!)

I divide it all up in to 6 portions, freeze what I don't eat and keep in the fridge what I intend on consuming over the next 3 days.

Comes to about 130 calories per serving and is yummm! I love it :) sometimes I drizzle a little bit of sugar free maple syrup on it.

Other things I have tried is all of the above (minus apple, cinnamon and nutmeg) and putting in sugar free drinking chocolate powder and a banana. Chocolate and banana oats! yummm!
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    I don't have Trader Joes... I am an Aussie..

Or A microwave..... Sheesh I am difficult aren't I?

I like the look of the apple recipe, I'll give that one a go.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    You can soak the oats in water or milk overnight in the fridge and then just warm it up in a microwave in the morning.

Don't add the fruit until the oatmeal is cooked.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    No microwave or stove? WTF?

Can you get one or the other?

A hot plate, maybe?
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    There is some really good looking recipes here that I will have to try. I don't have a stove because I live in tiny little hut. Even a Microwave will take up too much room......I don't use them anyway....

I could get a hotplate....and I might.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    1 cup steel oats
    2 cups apple juice
    2 cups water

Crock Pot
    3-4 hours on high
    or

Delicious!!!

Wow, I WILL HAVE TO TRY! What kind of steet cut oats do you use?

Bob's Red Mill - It's a local company for me and it's environmentally friendly as a big bonus.
  • juanita415
    Options
    How do you get by without a stove AND microwave?

Steel cut oats in a rice cooker: it sounds crazy but leave the lid off. Someone gave me this tip after I had the goo spread across my counter when it burbled over. You can put a piece of parchment on top if you want so it can breath. 1/2 c oats, 1 c water 1/2-2/3 c soy milk is what I do.

For those with a stove, a good way to add a nice nutty flavor is to put the oats into the pan dry and toast them a little Just shake them around in the hot pan until they brown a little, then add the liquid. Unless you are using dry fruit, you want to fold in fruit at the very end (especially berries, which are delicate.) Apples or dry fruit can cook a little longer.