Steel Cut Oats. I failed Miserably

Options

Replies

• gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Yep the thermos thing works. I have done that while camping. Refrigerator oats are another option while traveling. . I use 3/4 C one minutes oats, 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder, one cup of water, a half cup of berries and cinnamon. Mix it all together and refrigerate overnight. Eat cold in the morning. The vanilla protein powder gives it some flavor and loads it with protein.
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    bump again
  • mfunderburgh
    mfunderburgh Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I make steel cut outs every sunday night in the crock pot and cook them for the week. Just add in the crock pot the amount of oats recommended on the package and the amount of water recommended. Put the crock pot on low for about 7 hours. I have done the following add ins:

Blueberry

Blueberry/nuts

Banana/Nuts (one of my favorites)

Apple/Cinnemon

Raspberries

Banana/Cocoa

Strawberry

Strawberry/Vanilla Yogurt

Pinapple/Coconut

All of these are really good! Good Luck OH< and don't forget to spray down the sides of the crock pot with some cooking spray, if you don't clean up can be a real pain in the butt!! Or use a crock pot liner.
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have made overnight oats using steel cut. No cooking required. 1/4 cup oats, 1/4 cup yogurt, 1/3 cup milk, 1Tbsp chia seeds (I use flax seeds) (I think this would be optional, you could omit both). Put in a canning jar or coffee cup or whatever and cover. Leave overnight. Eat. I like it.

i do mine like this. if you don't like them cold you can microwave the chill out with no problem.
  • jenmilne12
    Options
    Sorry but this really made me giggle. Good luck getting it right next time, I've never heard of 'Steel cut oats' but I'm goona look the out now xx
  • kimpatricefritz
    Options
    I cook steel cut oats in a small 2.5 quart slow cooker-crock pot. I prepare it before I go to bed and have delicious oats in the AM. Here is what I do:
    place 2 cups of water in the crock pot.
    I use the 2-cup Pampered Chef prep bowl and put 1 scant cup of water, 1/4 cup steel cut oats,and cinnamon. I put the bowl in the water (water bath cooking).
    Plug it in and put on the lid.
    The next morning I take the prep bowl out add flax seed, walnuts, bananas, and milk (I use Kiefer).
    Yum! So very easy. This makes one serving.
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    try itgain in the rice cooker. I add one tablespoon of butter and I believe that is enough for whatever reason to make it not ooze out. I have made it where I have tried to not use butter and then again forgetting to use butter and both times it oozed out.

Any time i add butter it works perfect. I add a little of that fake brown sugar to mine and it tastes so good. I have also added diced apples and cinamon too.

I love steel cut oats :) Happy cooking.
  • margelizard
    margelizard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It's not really an oaty hot cereal type breakfast, but I love oatcakes for breakfast! Really dense and crispy and they are awesome topped with sliced banana, cheese etc etc. The recipe I use is here:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/520634/scottish-oat-cakes

I usually sub half of the rolled oats for steel cut and it works really well. It's also worth pulsing the rolled oats to a floury texture as it makes the "dough" much easier to work with. These store really well in an airtight container, they don't really go stale and they are super portable. Love 'em!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I have made overnight oats using steel cut. No cooking required. 1/4 cup oats, 1/4 cup yogurt, 1/3 cup milk, 1Tbsp chia seeds (I use flax seeds) (I think this would be optional, you could omit both). Put in a canning jar or coffee cup or whatever and cover. Leave overnight. Eat. I like it.

this is what I was going to suggest and then you can heat it in the micro if you wish
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    For 3 servings in a crockpot:
    17 oz water
    135g steel cut oats
    2 1/2 hours on low

2 servings:
    12 oz water
    90g steel cut oats
    2 hours on low

you can reheat in the microwave.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I also like them just soaked overnight. If you have a fridge (I'm making no assumptions at this point!), then they'll be nice and cold, which is great on summer mornings.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    We do a big batch of slow cooker steel cut oats plain, then everyone adds their personal add-ins that morning. My husband only likes cinnamon and brown sugar oatmeal, I'll add whatever dried or fresh fruit combo I feel like that day, and our daughter picks which parent she wants to copy at the moment and has what they're having.

Our slow cooker recipe--1 c. oats, 3 c. water, turn it on the low and go to bed.
  • luvsunshine1
    luvsunshine1 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me the first time I cooked steel cut oats in the rice cooker. It was because I used cups to measure rather than the measuring "cup" that came with the rice cooker (which is smaller). We make a batch once or twice a week. My husband eats it for breakfast every morning. We just refrigerate and he scoops it out and warms it in the microwave for one minute. Here is the recipe we use. I always spray the rice cooker with spam.

1-1/2 measuring cups Steel Cut Oats
    1/2 measuring cup Quinoa
    2- 1/2 measuring cups of water

If you don't want to use Quinoa, then put in 2 cups of Steel Cut Oats. I have a small 4 cup rice cooker. If you have a bigger one you could probably make a little more at a time. I hope this helps! Good Luck!

By the way, we put nuts, blueberries, slivered almonds and sunflower seeds and milk in the next morning when we cook it.
  • margelizard
    margelizard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me the first time I cooked steel cut oats in the rice cooker. It was because I used cups to measure rather than the measuring "cup" that came with the rice cooker (which is smaller). We make a batch once or twice a week. My husband eats it for breakfast every morning. We just refrigerate and he scoops it out and warms it in the microwave for one minute. Here is the recipe we use. I always spray the rice cooker with spam.

1-1/2 measuring cups Steel Cut Oats
    1/2 measuring cup Quinoa
    2- 1/2 measuring cups of water

If you don't want to use Quinoa, then put in 2 cups of Steel Cut Oats. I have a small 4 cup rice cooker. If you have a bigger one you could probably make a little more at a time. I hope this helps! Good Luck!

By the way, we put nuts, blueberries, slivered almonds and sunflower seeds and milk in the next morning when we cook it.

You spray it with spam?! Gods, that made me giggle :)
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    so going to try some of these
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    This is great, I've been trying to find a no-cook method for steel cut outs. (not raw tho:sick: ) Thermos flask is a great idea!! My slow cooker is too big for one portion.

I cook enough for the week and refrigerate.

I also suggest spraying the slow cooker with Pam first.

2 Cups - Steel Cut Oatmeal
    8 Cups - Water
    4 TBS - Cinnamon (or to taste)
    2 308 g - Unsweetened Apple Sauce or Medium Gala Apples
    2 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1/2 Cup Raisins
    3 TBS - Vanilla Extract (or to taste)
    1/4 Cup - Unsweetened Almond Milk for topping

Slow cook on low 7-10 hours.

10 servings at 199 calories each.
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    oats, water and spoon. I'm not joking. Suck it up and eat it that way, it's good for you. :D i repeat, i'm not joking

I believe you because thats how I eat them. I hate them cooked and all soft.
    My favorite way to eat them is to add 1/4 cup raw to vanilla greek yogurt. yummm!!!!