P90x + Caloric Intake?

Options
Casi23
Casi23 Posts: 138 Member
Sooo...

I just started p90x last week, and despite feeling like I am the most out of shape person in the world, I am pressing on and continuing it for week 2.

However -

I try to stay near or around my MFP recommended daily calories (1200 give or take a few for exercise) but the Beach Body website says that I need almost 2200 to lose one pound a week? What's up with the big difference??

I don't want to start almost DOUBLING my caloric intake, esp because I just started the program. Which one should I follow? Any one run into the same problem with P90x?

Replies

• carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    P90X is not a weight loss program. Each exercise burns 600 calories so you will need to eat a lot more when doing this program. I found the program did not work out for me. I gained 7 lbs in 6 weeks. I think if you are in pretty good shape P90X is an excellent program, but if you still have weight to lose, get that off first and gradually work your way up to P90X.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Sooo...

I just started p90x last week, and despite feeling like I am the most out of shape person in the world, I am pressing on and continuing it for week 2.

However -

I try to stay near or around my MFP recommended daily calories (1200 give or take a few for exercise) but the Beach Body website says that I need almost 2200 to lose one pound a week? What's up with the big difference??

I don't want to start almost DOUBLING my caloric intake, esp because I just started the program. Which one should I follow? Any one run into the same problem with P90x?

Yes, the manual is figuring you to get *fit*, not weight loss. So you need to subtract 500 cals from the level you are at. I would NOT eat only 1,200 calories while doing P90X or you will burn out quickly!! I would start with around 1,800 (level 1) and then make adjustments.

There is a P90X thread here, feel free to join in! I have done 5 rounds of P90X and am now using the newest Insanity so I've BTDT. HTH! :bigsmile:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    You can't do P90X on 1200 calories; MFP gives you 1200 PLUS exercise calories. And exercise calories are not going to be a trivial amount considering you are out of shape and doing P90X. You're more likely to be burning the full 600 than someone who is in really great shape.

Start bumping up by 100-200 calories every day until you hit 1800 and adjust from there. And don't forget to take measurements as you will likely lose more inches than pounds at first.

When I did P90X I started off really out of shape also. I ate between 1350-1450 plus exercise calories (about 1800-1900+ per day and around 1500 on stretch days). I lost a total of 9 pounds and just under 12 inches off the waist. And by the time I was finishing, I was losing an average of 1-2 pounds per week on the same amount of calories.

So keep your body properly fueled ... it works and your body will reward you for it.
  • thinsky
    thinsky Posts: 81
    Options
    carrieberry,

I am on week 5 of P90X and have not shed anyweight at all, nor lost inches. I was starting to wonder if perhaps the program and my body do not like eachother.

I am in your situation, have my wedding coming up, want to drop 25lbs. I have never been over weight like this before and I do not like it at all.
    What is your workout that you do now?
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Casi, are you on the fat shredder part of the program? I think for the first 3-4 weeks (phase I) you should be trying to get 50% of calories from protein, 30% from carbs and 20% from fat. (lean fat). I found it difficult to get 50% calories from protein until I started using whey protein. Try and stay at the recommended calorie level (sounds like about 1800). You probably will get fatigued during this phase if you try and work hard at all the exercises, but just keep trying. During the next two phases, you will gradually increase your carb intake while decreasing protein. By the time you are done, with the 90 days you will be tired and need some time to rest. If you run a calorie deficit, you are going to be very fatigued. I am in week 4 of my second round and can remember getting around 2200 calories a day when I should have been at 2400. I got very tired during every lifting routine along with plyo. I did end up losing 30 ibs and lost 8 inches off my waist, but it was hard at the time. I now am getting 2400 or so calories each day and feel a lot better. Even plyo is pretty easy and kenpo I just replace with plyo. I know everyone says the program is not about weght loss, but most people who are out of shape (like I was) will tend to lose weight.
  • Casi23
    Casi23 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks Oaker -

Yea I just started...so I guess that's the fat shredder. I'm going to get a good protein powder to supplement it a little. Any recommendations? I guess that would def add to my calories.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Thanks Oaker -

Yea I just started...so I guess that's the fat shredder. I'm going to get a good protein powder to supplement it a little. Any recommendations? I guess that would def add to my calories.

Yep, for the Fat shredder you should be at 50/30/20. protein/ carb/ fat

Designer Whey makes a good protein powder (besides Beachbody of course. :wink: ). They have chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, etc. It makes it easier to get in the protein in the first phase!
  • hollyheckman
    Options
    I did P90X for a month and lost 7 pounds and some inches. I felt great. I want to start again but I am not feeling motivated. When doing P90X I feel starved all the time even when taking in around 1800 calories daily. I am currently breastfeeding my daughter, so I don't know if I need to take in extra calories because of that, but I just feel so exhausted from doing the program. I want to get in shape and I love the way I feel when I know I'm loosing weight and making myself more healthy, but I need to figure out how to do the program and eat enough to fill me and not feel starving all the time.
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Try EAS. Use chocolate and vanilla together and mix with a blender. I think the vanilla is better than the chocolate, but mixing them together seemed to taste better to me. I had tried Bodyfortress and didn't like it . Without protein whey, I couldn't eat enough protein to take in 50% of my calories.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I did P90X for a month and lost 7 pounds and some inches. I felt great. I want to start again but I am not feeling motivated. When doing P90X I feel starved all the time even when taking in around 1800 calories daily. I am currently breastfeeding my daughter, so I don't know if I need to take in extra calories because of that, but I just feel so exhausted from doing the program. I want to get in shape and I love the way I feel when I know I'm loosing weight and making myself more healthy, but I need to figure out how to do the program and eat enough to fill me and not feel starving all the time.

Women who nurse require an extra 500 calories in general. That probably would have done it.