Do you ever go over your daily calorie limit?

Options
The last few days I have gone over by 50-80 calories. Does this matter if it happens once in a while?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    No problem - all the numbers we are working with (calorie allowance, food, exercise etc) are estimates.

Don't lose sleep over a few calories over or under.
    And for that matter, don't lose sleep over a LOT of calories over or under, as long as it doesn't happen all the time you'll be fine.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I go over sometimes (more than I should lately) - I lose consistently. It's all good.
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I go over all the time by up to 100 cals. I don't sweat it. S#$% happens!
  • Windy32
    Windy32 Posts: 54
    Options
    Yes, I do every once in a while. I try not to stress out about it too much or I will end up eating even more because I am stressed out.
  • Astroduckula
    Options
    Sometimes I do, but I find that if I'm close to going over I'll do a bit more working out to try and compensate. Good thing I did today I REALLY pigged out.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Only if it doesn't happen all the time it's fine. You'll still lose, just less weight.
  • captainstar
    Options
    i did yesterday actually. mistakes happen, i guess.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Yeah I do but I am trying to. I set my goal to "maintain current weight" and I try to go over it by a couple hundred calories.
  • Madelinew22
    Madelinew22 Posts: 289
    Options
    Dude u need to chill. I'm over by like 600 today. And I think I'm 200 over my weekly goal and I still have one day of eating.
  • pushnhard
    pushnhard Posts: 51
    Options
    I most certaily will tomorrow...........Going to Bonefish Grill....YUMMY!
  • aquitania
    aquitania Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I got over almost 2000 cals today. It has happened in the past, it will happen in the future, but i always go back on track the next day, and i have still lost a lot of weight. :-)
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    It's not a problem to be over the 50-80 you're talking about. 3500 calories for 1 lb. And you're talking about your net calorie goal, assuming you're set for weight loss you have a pretty significant calorie deficit built into your net goal. 50-80 calories is probably within the margin of error of the estimates all of this is based off of, but assuming it is accurate all you're doing is slowing down your progress slightly.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Under some, over others..... types of foods that put you over are more important than actual number of calories!
  • kittenmcgowan
    kittenmcgowan Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I give myself one day a week to just chill and NOT think about calories. I still log them just so I'm aware of what's going on, but there's no expectation that I'll stick to my 1200. But hey, life happens, and as long as you stay motivated and don't let it happen too often, a little here or there over isn't going to ruin it, and as other people have said, if you're worried, go for a quick walk. for 40-50 cal, 10 minutes brisk walking will take care of that.

Keep smiling! :happy:
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I've been over 3 times in 33 weeks. Today was one of those days for our Father's Day Celebration. I just try to average it out for the week and dont sweat it! I've lost continiously every week since I've started.
  • Surisaddai
    Surisaddai Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I don't worry to much. I give myself about 150 calories where I do not worry, because it might be a good idea to zig-zag your calories anyways.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I consider being within 100 calories of my goal, over OR under, a "win."
  • lean4life2
    lean4life2 Posts: 49
    Options
    Is this a trick question :laugh:
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I've only been using this site for about a week now, but I go over by a little bit probably more often than not, but I also think it estimates my daily calorie limit as lower than it should be. Also on days when do cardio exercise, I seem to go pretty significantly under my limit since I burn a lot of calories, and so on my average I'm still under my limit.

Anyway, yeah, I wouldn't fret about being above your limit for a day. Remember, if you set your goal to lose a pound per week, your daily calorie limit is 500 below your maintenance level, so if you eat 100 calories more than your limit, you're still 400 calories below maintaining your weight.
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Lol. Yes. Today I'm over by about 300, but still (barely!) in a deficit, so it's all good. If I'm truly hungry, I eat more. I try to stay on track 90% of the time and I'm happy with slightly slower progress if it helps me stay sane and happy.