Food Myths, the Media & Lawyers (Oh My)

Options
123457»

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Let me clarify certain things. Regarding the breastfeeding being a “fad” : Don’t know what has happened in the US regarding this, but, over here ( France ) for years some ( not all ) doctors would basically tell you that if you didn’t breastfeed you were putting your baby’s life on the line. Nurses in hospitals and clinics would make you understand that you didn’t have a choice, that if you didn’t succeed it was because you were “not well” or “didn’t really want it in the first place”. If you asked for the drugs to stop the milk , they would just plain leave you in the room and come back later for you to breastfeed. I’ve seen girlfriends breastfeed their children with a look of disgust mixed with discouragement. What I liked about this doctor (and since then others have had the balls to do the same) is that he didn’t point fingers, he didn’t say that, in our society, one method was wrong or better than the other. He made it very clear that there’s nothing better than mothers milk because it’s what nature intended but, today, where and how we live, it wasn’t a matter of life or death, therefore, just a matter of choice. One of the journalist even went as far as asking him if people who fed their children formula were killing their children (they got a big no and frightened look from him). They were just asking the questions everyone was thinking ( for those who live in France the show I’m talking about is “ les maternelles” one of the biggest parents ( or parents to be ) show in France.

I agree with FreeJenni : If you can and i might add, if you want to : It is best

This subject could go on and on. So yeah end of debate ( at least from me)

Apparently you don't understand what "fad" means, because breastfeeding is no fad, by no possible stretch of the imagination.

And while women can certainly choose which method to use, I find it sad that any woman would breastfeed her own child with a look of disgust.

And that wasn't meant as a debate, simply asking how breastfeeding could be a "fad" and *not* taking human-made chemical painkillers is a "new thing."
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    I don't blame food industries for their labels, they're doing what every business does, make money. In my opinion the fault lies with those who fall for it.
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't think that this has anything to do with food stamps. I also don't think that just because someone has food stamps, they're automatically "uneducated." That's a little harsh (and a gross generalization), IMO.

I know a couple who are in Mensa who are on food stamps. They are great people. They have a wonderful son conceived via IVF and between that and some pregnancy-related health problems, mom has been unable to work and their savings were eaten up. In this economy, getting ahead is not easy for anyone, let alone catching up when you're behind!

Being smart doesn't give you magical protection from hard times, any more than being nice or being thoughtful does. Stuff happens. Sometimes the dice go against you, the rare medical condition or the one-in-a-million side effect happens, the company that you gave twenty years to lets you go to "cut costs," the system you're an expert in gets replaced by something else, or just plain bad genes leave you unable to work. Doesn't mean you're stupid or, as often is implied by that statement, that you somehow *deserve* what happened!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My biggest peeve is that this advertising carries over into what the USDA allows public institutions to consider healthy food choices. My daughter's school serves cereal like this at least three times a week. Other days you get "sausage wrapped in a pancake on a stick!". The fruit and yogurt buffet style bar they offer is "optional".
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    My biggest peeve is that this advertising carries over into what the USDA allows public institutions to consider healthy food choices. My daughter's school serves cereal like this at least three times a week. Other days you get "sausage wrapped in a pancake on a stick!". The fruit and yogurt buffet style bar they offer is "optional".

That's actually a really good string topic.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    I don't think that this has anything to do with food stamps. I also don't think that just because someone has food stamps, they're automatically "uneducated." That's a little harsh (and a gross generalization), IMO.

I know a couple who are in Mensa who are on food stamps. They are great people. They have a wonderful son conceived via IVF and between that and some pregnancy-related health problems, mom has been unable to work and their savings were eaten up. In this economy, getting ahead is not easy for anyone, let alone catching up when you're behind!

Being smart doesn't give you magical protection from hard times, any more than being nice or being thoughtful does. Stuff happens. Sometimes the dice go against you, the rare medical condition or the one-in-a-million side effect happens, the company that you gave twenty years to lets you go to "cut costs," the system you're an expert in gets replaced by something else, or just plain bad genes leave you unable to work. Doesn't mean you're stupid or, as often is implied by that statement, that you somehow *deserve* what happened!

Food stamps are designed to help people get back on their feet. The problem, like most similar programs, is that they are gravely abused.
  • llsand
    llsand Posts: 87
    Options
    What the heck gchutson, who did you piss off to get your account deactivated ?
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Check out the line of Hormel Compleats for Kids microwavable meals that have "Healthy for Kids" in big bright letters on the front

You read nutritional and they have 10% sat fat and 25-30% sodium. Another brand saying the meal for kids was "now healthier" had 57% sodium! I just wish I could remember what the stupid product was