Food Myths, the Media & Lawyers (Oh My)

123457»

Replies

• DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    I don't think that this has anything to do with food stamps. I also don't think that just because someone has food stamps, they're automatically "uneducated." That's a little harsh (and a gross generalization), IMO.

I know a couple who are in Mensa who are on food stamps. They are great people. They have a wonderful son conceived via IVF and between that and some pregnancy-related health problems, mom has been unable to work and their savings were eaten up. In this economy, getting ahead is not easy for anyone, let alone catching up when you're behind!

Being smart doesn't give you magical protection from hard times, any more than being nice or being thoughtful does. Stuff happens. Sometimes the dice go against you, the rare medical condition or the one-in-a-million side effect happens, the company that you gave twenty years to lets you go to "cut costs," the system you're an expert in gets replaced by something else, or just plain bad genes leave you unable to work. Doesn't mean you're stupid or, as often is implied by that statement, that you somehow *deserve* what happened!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    My biggest peeve is that this advertising carries over into what the USDA allows public institutions to consider healthy food choices. My daughter's school serves cereal like this at least three times a week. Other days you get "sausage wrapped in a pancake on a stick!". The fruit and yogurt buffet style bar they offer is "optional".
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    My biggest peeve is that this advertising carries over into what the USDA allows public institutions to consider healthy food choices. My daughter's school serves cereal like this at least three times a week. Other days you get "sausage wrapped in a pancake on a stick!". The fruit and yogurt buffet style bar they offer is "optional".

That's actually a really good string topic.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    I don't think that this has anything to do with food stamps. I also don't think that just because someone has food stamps, they're automatically "uneducated." That's a little harsh (and a gross generalization), IMO.

I know a couple who are in Mensa who are on food stamps. They are great people. They have a wonderful son conceived via IVF and between that and some pregnancy-related health problems, mom has been unable to work and their savings were eaten up. In this economy, getting ahead is not easy for anyone, let alone catching up when you're behind!

Being smart doesn't give you magical protection from hard times, any more than being nice or being thoughtful does. Stuff happens. Sometimes the dice go against you, the rare medical condition or the one-in-a-million side effect happens, the company that you gave twenty years to lets you go to "cut costs," the system you're an expert in gets replaced by something else, or just plain bad genes leave you unable to work. Doesn't mean you're stupid or, as often is implied by that statement, that you somehow *deserve* what happened!

Food stamps are designed to help people get back on their feet. The problem, like most similar programs, is that they are gravely abused.
  • llsand
    llsand Posts: 87
    What the heck gchutson, who did you piss off to get your account deactivated ?
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Check out the line of Hormel Compleats for Kids microwavable meals that have "Healthy for Kids" in big bright letters on the front

You read nutritional and they have 10% sat fat and 25-30% sodium. Another brand saying the meal for kids was "now healthier" had 57% sodium! I just wish I could remember what the stupid product was