The Master Cleanse Fast AKA The Lemonade Diet.

Options

Replies

• Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    I had considered doing this one time, until i read his book. The guy (Burroughs) is a nutjob. He rants on and on about how WE as humans are causing all of the ailments in our bodies. That there are NO bacteria or viruses that CAN harm human cells. Even cancer is just a natural process that if we let it run its course, will destroy unhealthy cells and toxins and eventually run out of a food source and die off leaving us healthier than before. I'm sure the millions of people that have died from bacterial or viral infections would have loved to know they could have cured it with a simple lemonade and maple syrup diet!

This guy has also been convicted of second degree murder because he was practicing medicine without a license. They later overturned that conviction because the law prevented a practicing without a license to be enough to convict of second degree murder, that they should have gone for involuntary manslaughter.

I understand some people get a positive response from this treatment, but I also know the placebo effect is VERY strong.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry guys, but I'm again going to have to refer back to this post.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-lemonade-diet-master-cleanse-diet

The Author of this post is an extremely well respected Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Public Health and is a Licensed Dietitian. She is extremely well respected in the medical community and always puts a solid foundation of facts and research into her recommendations. For obvious reasons, many doctors (GP doctors, by the way, don't receive nearly as much nutritional training as this woman has) refer to her for advice in nutrition. I, personally, take her word as supreme law when it comes to nutrition.

If you read through this article you'll note that she is whole heartedly against this type of cleanse, and for very well thought out and stated reasons. Please read it over, and if your doctor approved or recommended this program, print it out and give it to them to read. You might be surprised at the result.

I beg you guys to keep an open mind on this, nutrition and health is an ever changing, almost living thing. As we learn more, our views on what is healthy changes. Please read through this article, it's very good and gives clear, concise reasons for why not to do a cleanse.

best wishes,

Banks
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    How are maple syrup and lime juice able to provide you with all the nutrients you need over the span of multiple days or weeks? :huh:
    Does the diet supply the nutrients necessary for
    the body?
    Yes, the lemons and limes provides the richest
    source of minerals and vitamins of any food.
    Maple has a large variety of minerals and
    vitamins, and the Cayenne adds many of the B
    and C Vitamins. The lemonade is food in liquid
    form.

http://www.thelemonadediet.com/services.html

I do this at the change of each season. I will start my next cleanse September 22.

Cayenne:
    * Vitamin A
    * Vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9
    * Vitamin C
    * PABA (Para-aminobenzoic Acid)

Lemon
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin C

Lime
    Vitamin A
    Vitamin C

In pure maple syrup trace amounts of vitamins are present, mainly B2 (Riboflavin), B5 (Pantothenic Acid), B6 (Pyridoxine), PP (Niacin, B1), Biotin, and Folic Acid.

So, B12 and the fat-soluble vitamins and most minerals are just disposable I suppose. It's a good thing we don't need our nerves to function properly or anything. :laugh:

The Author of this post is an extremely well respected Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Public Health and is a Licensed Dietitian. She is extremely well respected in the medical community and always puts a solid foundation of facts and research into her recommendations. For obvious reasons, many doctors (GP doctors, by the way, don't receive nearly as much nutritional training as this woman has) refer to her for advice in nutrition. I, personally, take her word as supreme law when it comes to nutrition.

If you read through this article you'll note that she is whole heartedly against this type of cleanse, and for very well thought out and stated reasons. Please read it over, and if your doctor approved or recommended this program, print it out and give it to them to read. You might be surprised at the result.

I beg you guys to keep an open mind on this, nutrition and health is an ever changing, almost living thing. As we learn more, our views on what is healthy changes. Please read through this article, it's very good and gives clear, concise reasons for why not to do a cleanse.

best wishes,

Banks

These are the two posters on here I would trust the most - and have in fact based my health decisions on their advice in the past. I think the cleanse is a bad idea. Many dieticians and most gastroenterologists that I've heard weigh in are against them because they damage intestinal flora/fauna.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I know for a fact that it is no placebo effect with the cleanse and it has and is doing me good.

I also firmly believe that we as humans have caused most of the ailments, disorders, syndromes and illnesses.

The western diet is full of sugar and cancer feeds off sugar. So, it is no wonder why we as westerners have such a high incidence of cancer.

Most of the disorders and syndromes that are NOW prevelant in our society (autism, ADD-HD, bi-polar, PCOS, heart disease, diabetes, thyroid, other autoimmune disorders, etc, etc.....) were not prevelent until processed foods and the low fat mantra of the 70's.

I also believe it is a conspiracy between big PHARMA, the medical community as a whole, the government to control population OR to keep people on expensive medications that are killing people faster and faster.......

I'm telling you, this isn't about health, it is about our Economy.

You go low-fat feeding the 'grains/bread basket' economy, that feeds the pharmecutical industry with your prescriptions, which fuel more visits to the doctor as well as accelerating the aging process. I could go on and on but won't.

I had considered doing this one time, until i read his book. The guy (Burroughs) is a nutjob. He rants on and on about how WE as humans are causing all of the ailments in our bodies. That there are NO bacteria or viruses that CAN harm human cells. Even cancer is just a natural process that if we let it run its course, will destroy unhealthy cells and toxins and eventually run out of a food source and die off leaving us healthier than before. I'm sure the millions of people that have died from bacterial or viral infections would have loved to know they could have cured it with a simple lemonade and maple syrup diet!

This guy has also been convicted of second degree murder because he was practicing medicine without a license. They later overturned that conviction because the law prevented a practicing without a license to be enough to convict of second degree murder, that they should have gone for involuntary manslaughter.

I understand some people get a positive response from this treatment, but I also know the placebo effect is VERY strong.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Well, I am sorry, but I do not agree with any dieticians that are not into natural healing.

She is well respected because she is in the pockets of BIG PHARMA and the government.

She is probably still fueling the fire that we NEED grains to survive, which is so far from the truth.

If I listened to her advice, I would be 300 pounds inside of 6 months.

best wishes,

Banks
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    I know for a fact that it is no placebo effect with the cleanse and it has and is doing me good.

True, but people have been healed on sugar pills before. Also the fact that homeopathic medicine exists, and people claim to have had effects from it supports a strong placebo effect.
    I also firmly believe that we as humans have caused most of the ailments, disorders, syndromes and illnesses.

The western diet is full of sugar and cancer feeds off sugar. So, it is no wonder why we as westerners have such a high incidence of cancer.

Most of the disorders and syndromes that are NOW prevelant in our society (autism, ADD-HD, bi-polar, PCOS, heart disease, diabetes, thyroid, other autoimmune disorders, etc, etc.....) were not prevelent until processed foods and the low fat mantra of the 70's.

I agree and disagree. I think we HAVE caused many of the problems present in our modern body. Obesity, weakened immune systems, drug resistant strains, etc. But I think some of those were no caused by humans, but only really detected/understood by humans since the 70s. The fact is, even WITH all of our ailments, we are living significantly longer than we did 100 years ago.

Besides, you can't honestly tell me that a person with cancer can just start eating healthy (or lemonade/syrup and it will get better.

I also believe it is a conspiracy between big PHARMA, the medical community as a whole, the government to control population OR to keep people on expensive medications that are killing people faster and faster.......

I'm telling you, this isn't about health, it is about our Economy.

You go low-fat feeding the 'grains/bread basket' economy, that feeds the pharmecutical industry with your prescriptions, which fuel more visits to the doctor as well as accelerating the aging process. I could go on and on but won't.

perhaps, but I still don't buy the lemonade diet. The author is a seriously crazy guy.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I agree and disagree. I think we HAVE caused many of the problems present in our modern body. Obesity, weakened immune systems, drug resistant strains, etc. But I think some of those were no caused by humans, but only really detected/understood by humans since the 70s. The fact is, even WITH all of our ailments, we are living significantly longer than we did 100 years ago.

Besides, you can't honestly tell me that a person with cancer can just start eating healthy (or lemonade/syrup and it will get better.

Perhaps the Master Cleanse won't cure cancer, but if it detoxifies a lot of the chemicals that go into our body from the pollution that is prevalant in the food (so even clean eating we are inadvertantly getting chemicals in our foods that did not happen years ago) - then I am doing my part to keep myself healthier in the long run.

On the other hand, please read these articles regarding eating healthy or eating a certain way and reversing cancer:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Heal-Prostate-Cancer-Naturally---Anti-Cancer-Foods&id=938668

http://www.thedietchannel.com/Cancer-and-Diet-Does-Sugar-Feed-Cancer.htm

http://mga-panalangin.blogspot.com/2009/01/divine-path-to-healing-cancer.html

http://www.healingcancer.info/ebook/joan-nielsen

http://www.vitalhealthzone.com/health/articles/anti_cancer_strategies.html

I have long ago lost faith in the medical community, dieticians, nutritionists, doctors, government, etc..........listening to them had gotten me bigger and bigger and sicker and sicker. I have a LOT of resentment where those organizations are concerned. So when people quote about the AHA, ADA, FDA, USDA - I will quickly turn a blind eye as I will no longer follow what they have told people to follow for the past 3 or 4 decades.
  • Felixanvk
    Options
    I read about this diet or cleanse long ago.
    This was the diet that Beyonce did when she did the movie "Dreamgrils". Two things I know, 1-she lost the weight, and 2 she was under medical check up. So she used it more the deit thing than the cleanse.
    I think is worth trying but not longer than 5 days, since is a clease. And start slow in your deit again.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    This was the diet that Beyonce did when she did the movie "Dreamgrils". Two things I know, 1-she lost the weight, and 2 she was under medical check up. So she used it more the deit thing than the cleanse.
    I think is worth trying but not longer than 5 days, since is a clease. And start slow in your deit again.

Yes, a lot of people use it for the diet thing..............

For me it was more along the lines of being spiritual and feeling clean from the inside out. Weight loss is just an added benefit.

People think fasting is so bad for you - that is what the Master cleanse is essentially. Fasting is good for the mind, body and spirit.

A book I am reading now is about intermittent fasting and how it keeps you healthy.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

For me it was more along the lines of being spiritual and feeling clean from the inside out. Weight loss is just an added benefit.

People think fasting is so bad for you - that is what the Master cleanse is essentially. Fasting is good for the mind, body and spirit.

A book I am reading now is about intermittent fasting and how it keeps you healthy.

I know all about IF--I did that when it was just a baby on a bodybuilding site. I know the guys who started it. But IF doesn't condone day-long fasts. It promotes a short-term fast broken by a full day's worth of calories from whatever nutritious food you choose to consume. Please don't portray it in the same light as this nutrient-poor master cleanse idea.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Well, I am sorry, but I do not agree with any dieticians that are not into natural healing.

She is well respected because she is in the pockets of BIG PHARMA and the government.

She is probably still fueling the fire that we NEED grains to survive, which is so far from the truth.

best wishes,

Banks

Believe what you want, it's not me that you're fighting, it's people with decades of real world experience treating thousands of people sucessfully. Like I said before, I'm gonna go with the advice of people who do this for a living, have advanced degrees in the field, and have the evidence to back it up.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

I know all about IF--I did that when it was just a baby on a bodybuilding site. I know the guys who started it. But IF doesn't condone day-long fasts. It promotes a short-term fast broken by a full day's worth of calories from whatever nutritious food you choose to consume. Please don't portray it in the same light as this nutrient-poor master cleanse idea.

There is nothing wrong with fasting for extended periods of time either.

I just don't understand how someone can judge something they have not tried for themselves.

My Dr's (endocrinologist and my naturopath) both advised me to start this cleanse and do it quarterly as it is medically sound.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

best wishes,

Banks

Believe what you want, it's not me that you're fighting, it's people with decades of real world experience treating thousands of people sucessfully. Like I said before, I'm gonna go with the advice of people who do this for a living, have advanced degrees in the field, and have the evidence to back it up.

I am not fighting with anyone - and I can say this, the evidence that the dieticians and nutritionists give today are making Americans fatter and fatter and sicker and sicker everyday. That is why people are so obese (67% of American population) and is getting worse every day.

I will not be one of those people on medications such as statins, HBP, diabetes, anti-depressants, etc.

They are trained to brainwash people to say you need to eat this so they can keep the money rolling in for medical conditions in the future.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

There is nothing wrong with fasting for extended periods of time either.

I just don't understand how someone can judge something they have not tried for themselves.

My Dr's (endocrinologist and my naturopath) both advised me to start this cleanse and do it quarterly as it is medically sound.

There's nothing wrong as in you won't immediately pass away. Isn't your endo concerned at all about the total lack of calcium alone, especially for you as a Caucasian female?

I don't want to fast for days at a time because I am incredibly active and have a job that requires me to be mentally present at all times lest I contaminate a sample or break a centrifuge. As someone with a BS in the field and currently pursuing a PhD, I do plenty of research as well, and have yet to view a peer-reviewed article that states that long-term fasting is beneficial to one's health. And I look not just at blood-test results, but at the cellular level, where it counts.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

best wishes,

Banks

I am not fighting with anyone - and I can say this, the evidence that the dieticians and nutritionists give today are making Americans fatter and fatter and sicker and sicker everyday. That is why people are so obese (67% of American population) and is getting worse every day.

I will not be one of those people on medications such as statins, HBP, diabetes, anti-depressants, etc.

They are trained to brainwash people to say you need to eat this so they can keep the money rolling in for medical conditions in the future.

Doesn't your argument assume that EVERYONE is seeing a dietician? No one said that the 67% of the population that is obese is the percent to the dieticians.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

These are misconceptions, and half truths. First, I never once mentioned a nutritionist. And I won't ever mention one, because a nutritionist is not a Registered Dietitian. Second, 34% of the population is obese, not 67%, as reported by Reuters in January of this year. And 3rd, why would you say that they are the reason the US is fat? The reason the US is fat is because families with 2 working parents skyrocketed in the 80's meaning more fast food for children, and a country that became dependent on fast food, diet soda, and sugar. I don't know where you get that dietitians gave everyone bad advice.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Most dieticians push the grains and artificial sweetners that most Americans are sensitive to, which increases weight gain. The dieticians I have seen before I was diagnosed with diabetes, PCOS, thyroids issues and bi-polar disorder pushed a 1000 calorie low fat diet and told me to exercise.

And guess what? I gained more and more weight. If it weren't for a progressive OB-GYN that found these ailments, I would probably be over 300 pounds still trying to do a low fat diet that was severly compromising my health and quality of life.

And I stand corrected. 67% of American population is overweight, with one-third being obese. That is still staggering numbers. That statistic is coming from a government organization.

http://win.niddk.nih.gov/statistics/
    About two-thirds of adults in the United States are overweight, and almost one-third are obese, according to data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2001 to 2004. This fact sheet presents statistics on the prevalence of overweight and obesity in the United States, as well as the health risks, mortality rates, and economic costs associated with these conditions. To understand these statistics, it is necessary to know how overweight and obesity are defined and measured, something this publication addresses. This fact sheet also explains why statistics from different sources may not match.

These are misconceptions, and half truths. First, I never once mentioned a nutritionist. And I won't ever mention one, because a nutritionist is not a Registered Dietitian. Second, 34% of the population is obese, not 67%, as reported by Reuters in January of this year. And 3rd, why would you say that they are the reason the US is fat? The reason the US is fat is because families with 2 working parents skyrocketed in the 80's meaning more fast food for children, and a country that became dependent on fast food, diet soda, and sugar. I don't know where you get that dietitians gave everyone bad advice.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    For everyone whose posted using the words...
    "most" "many" "conspiracy" etc...

Citation-Needed-wikipedia-819731_500_271.jpg

Science is not a conspiracy, its application sometimes is.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Most dieticians push the grains and artificial sweetners that most Americans are sensitive to, which increases weight gain. The dieticians I have seen before I was diagnosed with diabetes, PCOS, thyroids issues and bi-polar disorder pushed a 1000 calorie low fat diet and told me to exercise.

And guess what? I gained more and more weight. If it weren't for a progressive OB-GYN that found these ailments, I would probably be over 300 pounds still trying to do a low fat diet that was severly compromising my health and quality of life.

And I stand corrected. 67% of American population is overweight, with one-third being obese. That is still staggering numbers. That statistic is coming from a government organization.

http://win.niddk.nih.gov/statistics/

Grains are no good FOR YOU, not "most Americans" as you say. You're projecting your situation on everyone else in this country, I hope you can see that this is not the norm, and you should not be treating it as such. I eat about 330 g of carbs a day, about 300 of which are complex carbohydrates and about 200 of which come from grains. I have an LDL of about 96, an HDL of about 46, a triglyceride level of 138. These are all EXCELLENT numbers, my bloodpressure was 112 over 68 which is also great!

You know what I do with all this information? I say GOOD FOR ME. It doesn't mean the way I eat is the ONLY way. You'll notice that mostly when it comes to nutrition I generally very openly state that it's just my opinion, and I don't put down or degrade other people's thinking. You tried to bring down the woman that I mention as being an expert, and why? Because she has gotten a degree and is trying to help people with her career path.

LOOK, i'll say it again, I have no problem with how you choose to eat and live, and I'm glad, truly glad, that it works for you, but that's no reason to put down other methods that work, especially if you're touting a method that works for you, when you are a special case.

Now if someone else has diabetes and PCOS and Thyroid issues and asks for advice, you're the first person I'd send them too, but stop being so judgemental of the system, not everyone is out to harm you my dear.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I also don't buy the "expert's" opinion on the Master Cleanse. Just because someone has degrees & credentials up the Yin/Yang doesn't mean a whole lot in my book. Someone in her position has to play the game to keep her job. Monster corporations run most of the so-called healthcare in this country.

She suggests just letting our liver "do it's job" and forget about fasting or de-tox diets. I think it's a pretty safe bet that most people's livers (and bodies in general), are on toxic overload from the amount of crap we injest (even unintentionally), and also by environmental toxins we have no control over.

It's unfortunate this "diet" was popularized and distorted by the fact a celebrity used it to trim down for a film role. A "cleanse" is not the same as a "diet". This was never meant to be a quick weight loss plan.

Fasting is an ancient tradition used by all world cultures for medical, spiritual and political reasons:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasting

Good thread people! :flowerforyou: :love: