The Master Cleanse Fast AKA The Lemonade Diet.

Options

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I also don't buy the "expert's" opinion on the Master Cleanse. Just because someone has degrees & credentials up the Yin/Yang doesn't mean a whole lot in my book. Someone in her position has to play the game to keep her job. Monster corporations run most of the so-called healthcare in this country.

She suggests just letting our liver "do it's job" and forget about fasting or de-tox diets. I think it's a pretty safe bet that most people's livers (and bodies in general), are on toxic overload from the amount of crap we injest (even unintentionally), and also by environmental toxins we have no control over.

It's unfortunate this "diet" was popularized and distorted by the fact a celebrity used it to trim down for a film role. A "cleanse" is not the same as a "diet". This was never meant to be a quick weight loss plan.

Fasting is an ancient tradition used by all world cultures for medical, spiritual and political reasons:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasting

Good thread people! :flowerforyou: :love:

Again I say, believe what you will, that doesn't bother me. But to dismiss her as you just did as "playing the game" is a cop out. You are dismissing facts. Go to any gastroenterologist and ask them if cleanses are a good idea. You think they are all playing "the game" as you say? Don't you think if cleansing was good solid science that "big pharma" would have found a way to make a pill that speeds it up or helps it, or does something else?

Don't think for a minute that all those natural health centers out there don't have their own mass marketing and media machines that push detoxes and fasting and cleanses. They do, and they pray on all those people for whom the system did them wrong in some fashion. And yes, the herbal and supplement industry plays the game just as hard as the medical research industry, they also have lobbyists in Washington spending millions of dollars to get their votes.

Cleansing for spiritual or political reasons is fine, I have no issue with that. But to dismiss Kathleen as a lackey of the "business of medicine" is doing a disservice to yourself. I have read about 20 articles from her, and she is smart, doesn't always "toe the party line" and is controvertial in her own right because she had denounced a couple of big companies out there, and consistently backs up her facts with 3rd party research.

Oh and by the way, leeching was a recognized medical practice for centuries too, as a way to detoxify the body. Not sure I'd want to be leeched any time soon (sorry, this was a little over the top, but I had to prove my point).
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    """""True, but people have been healed on sugar pills before. Also the fact that homeopathic medicine exists, and people claim to have had effects from it supports a strong placebo effect.""""

Homeopathic medicine a placebo effect? Not true ........ It's very powerful medicine!
    Take Apis next time you get a bug bite. Swelling goes down fast.......

http://homeopathic.org/
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Lemonade killed Michael Jackson.

What's with you and MJ Max? Did you visit Neverland Ranch as a kid or something?
  • Sexythighz
    Sexythighz Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My Husband did this cleanse in June in order to get in shape for our vacation. He was successful. He followed the program for 10 days and lost about 20 lbs. His weight loss was very noticeable. Unfourtunately he didnt follow up with the other aspects required to maintain weight loss which is diet and excercise. After we returned from vacation he gained all the weight back and even added a few more pounds on. This plan takes a lot of discipline. I couldnt do it!

Steph
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I read the article webMC artical that was posted. It's good. I just have one problem with it. It perpetuates the logical fallacy that, because something isn't proven to be good, then it must bad with statements like "There's no evidence that purging your body of "toxins" improves your health or helps you lose weight" and "There is no scientific evidence that you need anything like this or any other detox program to cleanse your body or help you lose weight." Yet it doesn't site any evidence the opposite is true or even that controlled studies have been done proving it is just ineffective.

I still haven't made up my mind on this even though I've been looking into it for awhile. I just wanted to point out what is, to me, a glaring problem with every thing I have read on it.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I read the article webMC artical that was posted. It's good. I just have one problem with it. It perpetuates the logical fallacy that, because something isn't proven to be good, then it must bad with statements like "There's no evidence that purging your body of "toxins" improves your health or helps you lose weight" and "There is no scientific evidence that you need anything like this or any other detox program to cleanse your body or help you lose weight." Yet it doesn't site any evidence the opposite is true or even that controlled studies have been done proving it is just ineffective.

I still haven't made up my mind on this even though I've been looking into it for awhile. I just wanted to point out what is, to me, a glaring problem with every thing I have read on it.

OK I can see that logic. But (and this is just my opinion), I look at it a different way. I see that statement as "we have no data one way or another whether this is true or not, and until we do, we won't say it's a true statement". To me, you need to take these statements in the context that they are written. For instance the statement:
    "There is no scientific evidence that you need anything like this or any other detox program to cleanse your body or help you lose weight,"

is followed by
    "Experts agree that such unbalanced plans are not only ineffective, but are also potentially dangerous, depending on how long you stay on them. Fasting can rob your intestines of healthy bacteria that aid digestion and boost immunity."
    I know what you're thinking: "who are these experts" but she does list her resources at the end of the article, so it is generally assumed, in literary circles, that experts noted were the experts from the sources.

I take all this as meaning that while nobody has yet done a study on this (I'm sure someone will eventually, but that's not the fault of the author.), she feel's(and I agree) that in the absence of fact, we should go with the most logical assumption based on the facts at hand. So to me it seems she's saying "look, I've talked to people that deal with colons and livers, and intestines, and kidneys every day and have been medically trained to do so, and they all agree that cleansing your system doesn't do anything good for you, and can be harmful in some cases". While that's not scientific fact, it's enough for me in the absence of such.

None of this is to say that I think you're opinion is wrong Joyous, I just interpret it differently, which is fine. It's good to be able to see the forest for the trees, I imagine that pointing out the flaws in the article only lend creedance to the overall intrinsic value it has for us. That being, read it, and make up your own mind!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I also don't buy the "expert's" opinion on the Master Cleanse. Just because someone has degrees & credentials up the Yin/Yang doesn't mean a whole lot in my book. Someone in her position has to play the game to keep her job. Monster corporations run most of the so-called healthcare in this country.

She suggests just letting our liver "do it's job" and forget about fasting or de-tox diets. I think it's a pretty safe bet that most people's livers (and bodies in general), are on toxic overload from the amount of crap we injest (even unintentionally), and also by environmental toxins we have no control over.

It's unfortunate this "diet" was popularized and distorted by the fact a celebrity used it to trim down for a film role. A "cleanse" is not the same as a "diet". This was never meant to be a quick weight loss plan.

Fasting is an ancient tradition used by all world cultures for medical, spiritual and political reasons:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasting

Good thread people! :flowerforyou: :love:

Thank You, this is the logic I tend to agree with also.

There was a time when maybe out kidneys and liver did its job properly. Now days it is virtually impossible to get away from toxins in the foods we eat, even eating organically and grass fed and free range animals.

We are basically walking around as toxic cess pools now days and our body simply can not rid itself of everything that goes into it.

Also, I wanted to mention that the naturopath and the natural pharmacist I go to for supplements to my eating plan are not big time corporations in the natural medicine field.

They are both small town entrepreneurs that take the natural route to good health. The natural pharmacist has his own compounding lab and everything prescribed is tailor made just for that individual.

They promote the Master Cleanse as a natural cleanse, and denounce those cleanses that stores such as Wal-greens, GNC and other so-called vitamin shops.
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options
    OK I can see that logic. But (and this is just my opinion), I look at it a different way. I see that statement as "we have no data one way or another whether this is true or not, and until we do, we won't say it's a true statement". To me, you need to take these statements in the context that they are written. For instance the statement:
    "There is no scientific evidence that you need anything like this or any other detox program to cleanse your body or help you lose weight,"

is followed by
    "Experts agree that such unbalanced plans are not only ineffective, but are also potentially dangerous, depending on how long you stay on them. Fasting can rob your intestines of healthy bacteria that aid digestion and boost immunity."
    I know what you're thinking: "who are these experts" but she does list her resources at the end of the article, so it is generally assumed, in literary circles, that experts noted were the experts from the sources.

I take all this as meaning that while nobody has yet done a study on this (I'm sure someone will eventually, but that's not the fault of the author.), she feel's(and I agree) that in the absence of fact, we should go with the most logical assumption based on the facts at hand. So to me it seems she's saying "look, I've talked to people that deal with colons and livers, and intestines, and kidneys every day and have been medically trained to do so, and they all agree that cleansing your system doesn't do anything good for you, and can be harmful in some cases". While that's not scientific fact, it's enough for me in the absence of such.

None of this is to say that I think you're opinion is wrong Joyous, I just interpret it differently, which is fine. It's good to be able to see the forest for the trees, I imagine that pointing out the flaws in the article only lend creedance to the overall intrinsic value it has for us. That being, read it, and make up your own mind!

I think we are just going to have to disagree. I view medicine and medical opinion as fluid and therefore fallable. Things that experts said were true a decade ago have since been proven false. But I think we have same goal, to have people to look at the different prospectives and make an educated decision. So :flowerforyou:
  • July24Lioness
    Options

One thing that I have not seen mentioned in all of this is the fact that when you do come off the cleanse it is strongly suggested that you take a good quality probiotic supplement to replenish the good flora and bacteria in the gut and intestines.

And you emerge into eating from the liquid plan to raw foods and then incorporating a natural eating plan from there.

Most people don't keep the weight off due to the fact they treat it as a diet and then go back to the way they were eating and they gain it back and then some..............

That is what happened with Atkins and most of the other low carb plans, as well as this detox.

Things that are healthy for the majority of the masses gets twisted around to being something dangerous because people can't and don't want to follow directions.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Lemonade killed Michael Jackson.

What's with you and MJ Max? Did you visit Neverland Ranch as a kid or something?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Wow! Alot has happened on here since last night!!!:laugh:

I would like to point out that I first did this cleanse with the supervision of an MD. She was a resident at a local hospital and her attending ok'd her recommendation. I had been dealing with a serios skin condition and we took a longshot. Guess what, it worked.

After that resident graduated from her program I went back to see my old doctor because she started taking my insurance. She is also an MD. I went on this fast for the 3rd time without her "permission" I made the mistake of eating and then doing the internal salt water bath. I ended up with appendicitis. She flipped out on me and went off on me about the quacks who practice alternative medicine. I went to see my Colon Rectal surgeon and told him about the cleanse and what my MD said. He chuckled and said........"Some people in medicine just don't like when there are treatments that they don't understand" He continued to laugh. I asked him if it was safe and he said. "Its not dangerous, there are not enough studies to actually label it safe since the medical community is resistant to what they think is unnecessary. But it will not hurt you. If it works for you, do it. I would never recommend it to a patient, because I don't know enough about it, but if someone does it, I would not ask them to stop."

The reason I had a problem that time is because I have a redundant colon and large appendix. When I ate and did the internal salt water bath, I caused a little twisting and it caused my appendix to become inflamed. According to the colon rectal surgeon It could have happened without the cleanse. And It has actually happened witout the cleanse on several occasions. Since then, however, it happens very infrequently because of the cleanse. He aslo said that since my diagnosis 5 years ago, he had expected that I would have been back for surgery alot sooner! But what I have been doing has helped so much he agreed that surgery will probably never be needed.

I now see a DO, I left that MD because of her lack of respect for Alternative medicine. My new doctor is excited about my upcoming cleanse. He has alot of respect for my, what dsome may call Outlandish remedies.

I understand that certain medical professionals will not subscribe to these methods. Just like certain finnancial professionals don't agree with others. Everybody has an opinion, and a right to that opinion. Alternative medicine is very different from traditional medicine. Some Alternative medical professionals don't agree with fasting either, and some traditional doctors do. It is very dangerous if you don't do it right, I'm sure. So is taking antidepressants, so is surgery. And there is actual evidence to the benefits of cleansing as well as the downfalls. It just isn't put out there like traditional medice. Why? Well I'm not going to get into conspiracy theories and so forth, but the reality is obvious...there is no money to be made from healthy people or preventitive medicine for that matter. Ask a doctor who he makes more money off of, me the girl who shows up for a yearly physical and maybe a few ailments throughout the year, or the obese diabetic with high blood pressure. Sad, but true.

My point in all this rambling is, traditional medicine and alternative medicine may never agree. Both sides have helped people. Look into Gary Lalonde who rid himself of cancer after his MD told his wife to by a black dress and prepare for his funeral. His story is more than inspirational, I heard it from his mouth. I saw him healthy as can be. His MD ended up writing the forward to his book, now believing that there are other possibilities. I can't remember the name of it, but I think one of his books is "The Power of Change."

Holistic is the way I live my life. I respect anyone who went to school and learned all that they have learned. Good for them. People who study alternative methods are just as respecable, they study just as hard and live what they preach. I agree with Lioness here, as this is a part of my Spiritual Practice. My body is my temple. That is my opinion. :bigsmile:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I read about this diet or cleanse long ago.
    This was the diet that Beyonce did when she did the movie "Dreamgrils". Two things I know, 1-she lost the weight, and 2 she was under medical check up. So she used it more the deit thing than the cleanse.
    I think is worth trying but not longer than 5 days, since is a clease. And start slow in your deit again.

I found it very sad that this cleanse recieved the poor publicity that it did after Beyonces partaking in it.:cry: She said on TV that she went right back to eating burgers and fried chicken after it was over. Of course you will gain weight if you eat that crap. Her experience was bad because her intentions were bad. The cleanse very openly recommends easing back into a regular diet afterwards. The media went crazy with all the detox no-nos after that. And I didn't buy a word they said, they only produced one-sided evidence.
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options

I would like to point out that I first did this cleanse with the supervision of an MD. She was a resident at a local hospital and her attending ok'd her recommendation. I had been dealing with a serios skin condition and we took a longshot. Guess what, it worked.

After that resident graduated from her program I went back to see my old doctor because she started taking my insurance. She is also an MD. I went on this fast for the 3rd time without her "permission" I made the mistake of eating and then doing the internal salt water bath. I ended up with appendicitis. She flipped out on me and went off on me about the quacks who practice alternative medicine. I went to see my Colon Rectal surgeon and told him about the cleanse and what my MD said. He chuckled and said........"Some people in medicine just don't like when there are treatments that they don't understand" He continued to laugh. I asked him if it was safe and he said. "Its not dangerous, there are not enough studies to actually label it safe since the medical community is resistant to what they think is unnecessary. But it will not hurt you. If it works for you, do it. I would never recommend it to a patient, because I don't know enough about it, but if someone does it, I would not ask them to stop."

The reason I had a problem that time is because I have a redundant colon and large appendix. When I ate and did the internal salt water bath, I caused a little twisting and it caused my appendix to become inflamed. According to the colon rectal surgeon It could have happened without the cleanse. And It has actually happened witout the cleanse on several occasions. Since then, however, it happens very infrequently because of the cleanse. He aslo said that since my diagnosis 5 years ago, he had expected that I would have been back for surgery alot sooner! But what I have been doing has helped so much he agreed that surgery will probably never be needed.

I now see a DO, I left that MD because of her lack of respect for Alternative medicine. My new doctor is excited about my upcoming cleanse. He has alot of respect for my, what dsome may call Outlandish remedies.

I understand that certain medical professionals will not subscribe to these methods. Just like certain finnancial professionals don't agree with others. Everybody has an opinion, and a right to that opinion. Alternative medicine is very different from traditional medicine. Some Alternative medical professionals don't agree with fasting either, and some traditional doctors do. It is very dangerous if you don't do it right, I'm sure. So is taking antidepressants, so is surgery. And there is actual evidence to the benefits of cleansing as well as the downfalls. It just isn't put out there like traditional medice. Why? Well I'm not going to get into conspiracy theories and so forth, but the reality is obvious...there is no money to be made from healthy people or preventitive medicine for that matter. Ask a doctor who he makes more money off of, me the girl who shows up for a yearly physical and maybe a few ailments throughout the year, or the obese diabetic with high blood pressure. Sad, but true.

My point in all this rambling is, traditional medicine and alternative medicine may never agree. Both sides have helped people. Look into Gary Lalonde who rid himself of cancer after his MD told his wife to by a black dress and prepare for his funeral. His story is more than inspirational, I heard it from his mouth. I saw him healthy as can be. His MD ended up writing the forward to his book, now believing that there are other possibilities. I can't remember the name of it, but I think one of his books is "The Power of Change."

Holistic is the way I live my life. I respect anyone who went to school and learned all that they have learned. Good for them. People who study alternative methods are just as respecable, they study just as hard and live what they preach. I agree with Lioness here, as this is a part of my Spiritual Practice. My body is my temple. That is my opinion. :bigsmile:

I want to add something. I've made it clear that I am somewhat undecided on this subject. But I have heard people (not on this site) recommend doing a coffee enema while on the cleanse. THAT can be very dangerous. I did some research on that aspect of the cleanse and people have died from coffee enemas.

I'm not entirely sure why I quoted your post...:ohwell: :flowerforyou:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options

I want to add something. I've made it clear that I am somewhat undecided on this subject. But I have heard people (not on this site) recommend doing a coffee enema while on the cleanse. THAT can be very dangerous. I did some research on that aspect of the cleanse and people have died from coffee enemas.

I'm not entirely sure why I quoted your post...:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

You are very right! In the book by Stanley Burroughs he says the following:

"Do not take enemas or colonics at any time during the cleansing diet or afterwards. They ae unnecessary and can be extremely harmful........colonics and enemas will only reach the colon or a small part of it."
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options

You are very right! In the book by Stanley Burroughs he says the following:

"Do not take enemas or colonics at any time during the cleansing diet or afterwards. They ae unnecessary and can be extremely harmful........colonics and enemas will only reach the colon or a small part of it."

Plus the idea kind of gives me the heeby-geebies. :sick:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I'm starting my cleanse on Tuesday. I'm thinking of starting a new thread, Sans the naysayers, for anyone who wants support.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I'm sorry guys, but I'm again going to have to refer back to this post.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-lemonade-diet-master-cleanse-diet

The Author of this post is an extremely well respected Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Public Health and is a Licensed Dietitian. She is extremely well respected in the medical community and always puts a solid foundation of facts and research into her recommendations. For obvious reasons, many doctors (GP doctors, by the way, don't receive nearly as much nutritional training as this woman has) refer to her for advice in nutrition. I, personally, take her word as supreme law when it comes to nutrition.

If you read through this article you'll note that she is whole heartedly against this type of cleanse, and for very well thought out and stated reasons. Please read it over, and if your doctor approved or recommended this program, print it out and give it to them to read. You might be surprised at the result.

I beg you guys to keep an open mind on this, nutrition and health is an ever changing, almost living thing. As we learn more, our views on what is healthy changes. Please read through this article, it's very good and gives clear, concise reasons for why not to do a cleanse.

best wishes,

Banks

I need to point out that her information is wrong about the Master Cleanse. #1. it does not cause a calorie deficit. The minimum recemmendation for the lemonade is 6 glasses and that is equal to 1200 calories. You can drink more if you do not want to lose any weight. Also, you are supposed to use organic Grade B Maple syrup because of its richness in minerals and vitamins.

If you prefer to take advice from people in the traditional medical community, here is an article that may interest you. Not trying to change your mind, just to show evidence on both sides of the fence.

http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/article.asp?id=1996
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Thank You!!!
    I'm sorry guys, but I'm again going to have to refer back to this post.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-lemonade-diet-master-cleanse-diet

The Author of this post is an extremely well respected Registered Dietitian with a Masters in Public Health and is a Licensed Dietitian. She is extremely well respected in the medical community and always puts a solid foundation of facts and research into her recommendations. For obvious reasons, many doctors (GP doctors, by the way, don't receive nearly as much nutritional training as this woman has) refer to her for advice in nutrition. I, personally, take her word as supreme law when it comes to nutrition.

If you read through this article you'll note that she is whole heartedly against this type of cleanse, and for very well thought out and stated reasons. Please read it over, and if your doctor approved or recommended this program, print it out and give it to them to read. You might be surprised at the result.

I beg you guys to keep an open mind on this, nutrition and health is an ever changing, almost living thing. As we learn more, our views on what is healthy changes. Please read through this article, it's very good and gives clear, concise reasons for why not to do a cleanse.

best wishes,

Banks

I need to point out that her information is wrong about the Master Cleanse. #1. it does not cause a calorie deficit. The minimum recemmendation for the lemonade is 6 glasses and that is equal to 1200 calories. You can drink more if you do not want to lose any weight. Also, you are supposed to use organic Grade B Maple syrup because of its richness in minerals and vitamins.

If you prefer to take advice from people in the traditional medical community, here is an article that may interest you. Not trying to change your mind, just to show evidence on both sides of the fence.

http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/article.asp?id=1996
  • coolterri
    Options
    Wow, what an intriguing mix of thoughts and ideas.. Thanks everyone for sharing.

Of course, I just have to put in my two sense worth as someone who has done the cleanse at least 3 times, my longest being 12 days. I have also supported others in doing the cleanse.

First of all, it is not intended as a weight loss program, although people I know usually drop on average 3/4 - 1 pound per day while on the cleanse. It may come back on or stay off depending on what you do after the cleanse.

Secondly, does it cure cancer? Fact: Cancer has a difficult time surviving in an alkaline environment - most MDs even if not holistically oriented will agree with this. Due to the Standard American Diet, our bodies tend to be over-acidic, not alkaline. Fact: the Master Cleanse drink helps the body create an alkaline environment. Hhhmmmm.

Third, most people will feel yukky the first couple days on the cleanse, as your body spills toxins out of the cells and into the bloodstream to be transported out of the body - drink a little extra water and take it easy. Plan the first couple days so you don't have a lot of commitments or work to do. Not surprising that someone felt lighted or nauseous. I have done the cleanse a number of times and the first couple days are headachy and such. After about the third day, I have always felt great. Others I know who have done the cleanse report the same results.

Fourth, with all due respect to the medical viewpoint, most nutritionists and dieticians have no issue with suggesting diet drinks for people who would like to lose weight. Aspartame, the main ingredient in most diet drinks is a neurotoxin - poisonous to your brain - and can be used as an ant killer. (see www.natural-cure-alternatives.com/aspartame.html). Why would the master cleanse be so awful?

Anyone who has done the master cleanse or has tried to do the master cleanse, I welcome you to share your comments at www.natural-cure-alternatives.com/master-cleanse-forum.html. Good or bad experience.

Thanks.

TD!