running challenge

Options
vsetter
vsetter Posts: 558 Member
Hi there. So there are a few of us here because we want to learn how to run (or run better) and ENJOY it! We want the benefits of running, but have had a hard time getting into it or sticking with it. Historically speaking --- some of us have just plain hated the idea of running (and hated the actual running process even more). BUT -- we are willing to give it another try. We are all beginner runners and we are going to be taking baby steps.

This challenge is going to be slow and steady. We want everyone to improve their running abilities over time without getting injured or becoming discouraged. The goal is to ENJOY running (and not hate it again).

Any beginner is welcome and can join in at any time --- and of course, we welcome any advice from those who have been doing this for a while.

The "official" challenge will start tomorrow (Monday). Details to follow. In the meantime, please introduce yourself, and if comfortable, your current running abilities.

Replies

• marnet12
    marnet12 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a novice runner. Just got back into running a few months ago and am still at a very slow pace. I am one of those people who love running except when I am doing it! Started out walking 2 mins and jogging 2 mins for about 1 1/4 miles. Just finished an hour run (4.46 miles).

I am 48 years old and smoked for 30 years. (quit smoking about 2 months ago! woo hoo!) So if I can do it, anyone can.

My goals are to lose about 20 lbs total, get to a 12 minute mile pace within the next few weeks, and eventually be able to run 10 miles.

Would love to share training tips and support my fellow newbies!

Feel free to send a friend invite!
  • vsetter
    Options
    I am one of those that has ALWAYS hated running. Nothing about it sounded good to me. This dates back to the days when I had to run the one mile for high school gym class. (I used to skip laps when the teachers weren't watching.). Since high school, I have tried running a few times but still never enjoyed it. I usually found it to be too much work or too boring. BUT -- I found that while running, my body transformed more quickly than with other forms of cardio. But even with that in mind, it was very easy for me to quit (because I hated it).

Anyway -- I worked a 5K race the other week and am now motivated to try again. The energy of the race was so amazing and positive. Plus, some runners were so very fit. It has been several years since I last tired, so I'm here to try again.

I currently run (if you can call it that) VERY slow. The most I can do on my treadmill is 20 minutes at 4.5mph. The most I can do outside on a park trail is about 12 minutes (which is so sad because I can hike all day -- often hiking between 5-10 miles).

My goal would be to have the ability to run and finish a 5K.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a novice runner. Just got back into running a few months ago and am still at a very slow pace. I am one of those people who love running except when I am doing it! Started out walking 2 mins and jogging 2 mins for about 1 1/4 miles. Just finished an hour run (4.46 miles).

I am 48 years old and smoked for 30 years. (quit smoking about 2 months ago! woo hoo!) So if I can do it, anyone can.

My goals are to lose about 20 lbs total, get to a 12 minute mile pace within the next few weeks, and eventually be able to run 10 miles.

Would love to share training tips and support my fellow newbies!

Feel free to send a friend invite!

Congratulations on quitting smoking! I too would love to learn how to run, I currently can only run for only a minute but I can walk up to 10 miles at a time. So count me in.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I am one of those that has ALWAYS hated running. Nothing about it sounded good to me. This dates back to the days when I had to run the one mile for high school gym class. (I used to skip laps when the teachers weren't watching.). Since high school, I have tried running a few times but still never enjoyed it. I usually found it to be too much work or too boring. BUT -- I found that while running, my body transformed more quickly than with other forms of cardio. But even with that in mind, it was very easy for me to quit (because I hated it).

Anyway -- I worked a 5K race the other week and am now motivated to try again. The energy of the race was so amazing and positive. Plus, some runners were so very fit. It has been several years since I last tired, so I'm here to try again.

I currently run (if you can call it that) VERY slow. The most I can do on my treadmill is 20 minutes at 4.5mph. The most I can do outside on a park trail is about 12 minutes (which is so sad because I can hike all day -- often hiking between 5-10 miles).

My goal would be to have the ability to run and finish a 5K.

I'm one of those who can run for miles only in my dream. I'm an avid walker that would love to some day run. I think time has come for me to learn.
  • thenataliej
    thenataliej Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would love to join this challenge. I started the walk/run program from the book 'Running Made Easy' a few of weeks ago. I am up to 7 one minute runs and I still struggle to do just one minute:ohwell: It would be nice to have some fellow 'novice' runners to get some encouragement from and to give encouragement to. Really looking forward to being able to run 30 minutes straight:smile:
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I started running last year--much to my surprise. I had always hated it, dreaded gym class ALL YEAR just because I knew at some point the mile run would happen.

Suddenly I loved running. Ran a 5k, started training for a 10--and when we were working on being able to run mile 4, I fell, probably broke my leg, and severely sprained my ankle. (I couldn't afford a doc, but this is my nurse friend's best guess without an MRI). The injury halted walking for a month. When I graduated to limping, I tried walking a few miles but couldn't.

Months later, it's still in a pretty serious brace every time I go out. The tendons don't feel right, I can't flex it very far--but I have a normal walking stride, and a tentative running stride. while I recovered, I put on 20 lbs. : ( impressive, for just a few months of sitting on my duff.

I run very slowly, and even when I could go four miles, I ran well below a 12 minute mile. Closer to a 15 minute mile. Often people walk as fast as I run. It's really more of a shuffle-stagger. Especially now that I have the injury. I kinda look like Frankenstein's monster being chased by peasants. :D

Anyhow, I need to get back into running. I used to run 5k three to four times a week, now I have to walk most of that distance. Looking forward to the support group, as I miss running!
  • ParimPampu
    ParimPampu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I've been a couch potato for too long. Recently I started gym, but doesn't feel like really work out.
    This morning I started the Couch to 5K.... it has been difficult to do it, but I have to say that the mp3 really pushes you.
    I'm trying to sort out my weekly agenda to have no excuses for jumping any training session.
    Hope I will be able to run my 30 minutes in 9 weeks. So, let's start!
  • thenataliej
    thenataliej Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started running last year--much to my surprise. I had always hated it, dreaded gym class ALL YEAR just because I knew at some point the mile run would happen.

Suddenly I loved running. Ran a 5k, started training for a 10--and when we were working on being able to run mile 4, I fell, probably broke my leg, and severely sprained my ankle. (I couldn't afford a doc, but this is my nurse friend's best guess without an MRI). The injury halted walking for a month. When I graduated to limping, I tried walking a few miles but couldn't.

Months later, it's still in a pretty serious brace every time I go out. The tendons don't feel right, I can't flex it very far--but I have a normal walking stride, and a tentative running stride. while I recovered, I put on 20 lbs. : ( impressive, for just a few months of sitting on my duff.

I run very slowly, and even when I could go four miles, I ran well below a 12 minute mile. Closer to a 15 minute mile. Often people walk as fast as I run. It's really more of a shuffle-stagger. Especially now that I have the injury. I kinda look like Frankenstein's monster being chased by peasants. :D

Anyhow, I need to get back into running. I used to run 5k three to four times a week, now I have to walk most of that distance. Looking forward to the support group, as I miss running!

Sorry that that happened to you. You found something you love and unexpectedly its taken from you - that sucks :cry:
    Hopefully you will back to shuffle-staggering before you know it :wink:
  • webdaughter
    webdaughter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have currently started the couch to 5k program. I am on week 1 day 3 today. I have tried running in the past, when I was actually very fit and have always had problems with my shins. I am hopeful that by taking it slow and easing into it they will not hurt that badly. I have noticed that they still do get sore after my workouts. Currently I am walking briskly for 90 secconds and then running for 60 secconds.

I will be excited to join this...is it going to be set up as a group?
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I have just been getting into running and have really started to enjoy it...but getting better at it is very slow. I had a lung infection a few years ago that makes running more difficult but I am excited to have a group to work on it with! Good luck folks!
  • vsetter
    Options

We could make this a group. I wasn't sure how many would be interested in this challenge. As of this morning, there were only 4 of us :).

Very exciting to have a good handful of us to support and encourage each other :)
  • Clemsonlkg
    Clemsonlkg Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner, but I want to be. I started the Couch to 5k program a few weeks ago. I am enjoying it so far, but I am really nervous that I won't be able to do it. So far I have been able to do it, though. I am not really resting on my rest days, but I am listening to my body and not pushing past what I feel good about. Anyway, I am in.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I'll play. :) I am doing c25k. I got to like week 4 before, but because of circumstances, I had to quit. I am only on week 2 now. I love walking, and I really really want to be a runner. This morning, I just warmed up walking, and then ran for as long as I could, and I only got to five minutes. :blushing: I then walked a couple minutes, and ran for three minutes (the length of a long-ish road I was on in the neighborhood-it was my goal). Then I just did two minutes walking, two minutes running for a while, and then walked it off for a bit. I then ran a couple more times for a minute and a half-two minutes and ended up at home (just over 4 miles total). I love it... I'm just not very good at it!
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm in! My goal is to run a 5K this fall ... so far I"m not having much luck building up my endurance. I walk / run intervals almost daily but my running stinks!
  • ebenso1
    ebenso1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I too am a beginner. I never ran a day in my life unless I was forced to for gym class. I signed up to run a 5k in May but mostly walked it. At that time I was still quite a bit overweight. I have started running again and can currently run 1/2 mile and walk a 1/2 mile and I do that almost daily for 3 mile stretches. I really want to run, totally run, a 5k. So I am trying to build up my endurance. I am hoping that it will help me get past this plateau and lose another 30 pounds. Count me in!
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I"m not exactly a beginner, I started running in February and I'm training for a half marathon in November. I'm up to 6 miles now - yay! I would suggest using an app like Runkeeper to keep track or your miles and progress (there are other apps out there, but I like Runkeeper because it's free and works with my phone.) You could set up a street team for this challenge. Good luck everyone!
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options

We could make this a group. I wasn't sure how many would be interested in this challenge. As of this morning, there were only 4 of us :).

Very exciting to have a good handful of us to support and encourage each other :)

I'm in if we can make this a group. Right now I'm coming to terms with my short leg (functional as well as growth related) and the fact that I probably WILL have a funky gait once I really run. For now, I'm working up endurance with the lovely elliptical machine. I'm at a 45 minute 5k on there. I'm a little stuck as to whether to move from there to the treadmill once I can complete it without the "Oh I'm DYING!" feelings. I'd like to do the treadmill, so I can SEE how fast I'm going, but I'm terrified I'll fall off or catch my gimp leg and flip off the side. Maybe I should just move straight to the track? I don't have an MP3 player, so I get the joy of trying to "make up" my own teach myself to run thing.

I was always the "Ladies don't RUN" girl. I could/can WALK a mile just as fast as the girls that were in my gym class growing up, so there was never any PURPOSE for me to run.

My new found desire to run has ZERO to do with weight loss (though it's an added benefit) and more to do with the sense of freedom the runners I see exhibit. I want to feel as free as they look. To feel the ground move beneath my feet in a steady rhythm, to feel my heart beat at a controlled pace, to lose myself completely in the movements.

Anyway, if this turns into a group, count me in. :happy:
  • wannaberunner33
    wannaberunner33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'd love to be a part of this.

I started the C25K program in late February. It's still fresh in my memory how scared I was when I got to the day when I was supposed to run 20 minutes without stopping to walk. This morning, I completed 6 miles in just under 60 minutes, less than 4 months after beginning C25K.

I'm still learning, and I'm still waiting to like it. As someone else said here, I like everything about running except when I'm doing it! I'm training for my first race. (I view it as an "organized run," since I'll be running to finish, not win.) It's a 10K in mid-July...the day after my 50th birthday.
  • lostemt
    lostemt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm in! My goal is to run a 5K this fall ... so far I"m not having much luck building up my endurance. I walk / run intervals almost daily but my running stinks!

My running also stinks but I don't let it stop me. I also do the walk/run intervals. I want to be able to do my next mile fun run Jan 1,2013. My fathers birthday. Story behind this New Years Day Run is we did as kids and then as we got older did not do as much but want to get back to it. Then by next March do a 5k.