running challenge

Options

Replies

• amyro08
    amyro08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to be a runner, and tried to get into it as a kid. About 4 years ago I went through the Couch to 5K program and got all the way to the end. I ran my first 5k for Terry Fox.

When winter hit and we couldn't run outside anymore, we bought a treadmill. Turns out that I HATE running on the treadmill, so I quit running.

Now, 4 years and 50 pounds later, I'd like to get back into it again. The best I can do is 5 minutes, and it's very slowly, the exercise log here doesn't even consider it a job, but fast walk (4.0). My biggest problem right now is getting down the weight so I don't have to lug so much around - the last run I tried I had to quit cuz my feet got completely numb. I"ve been doing the eliptical, for now, to try to build up my stamina.

I definitely do want to run again, though!
  • Woffordt93
    Woffordt93 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did not check to see where exactly this was posted, but it showed up on my wife's page. Is this just for women, or can guys play too? I have just started running again (jogging that is) and I am beginning to enjoy the process as much as I used to. (WWwwwwwaaaaayyyy back in and around the college years was my running heyday, and I loved it then) If I am posting on the wrong page, just yell at me and I will find a guy's only running challenge, if possible. Thanks :)
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I did not check to see where exactly this was posted, but it showed up on my wife's page. Is this just for women, or can guys play too? I have just started running again (jogging that is) and I am beginning to enjoy the process as much as I used to. (WWwwwwwaaaaayyyy back in and around the college years was my running heyday, and I loved it then) If I am posting on the wrong page, just yell at me and I will find a guy's only running challenge, if possible. Thanks :)

I think it's intended for any gender.... :wink:
  • smiles4support
    Options
    First of all GOOD job to all of you ladies.....I LOVE running not only is it a great calorie burner, but it's GREAT therapy for me!! I have been running for a couple years now...I started out by inviting myself with a girl that was at the gym that was pretty hard core about it...she welcomed me to running with her, but shortly after she quit the gym. I HATE the treadmill, so I'm an outside runner, rain, sun, snow hot or cold...I just dress for it!

last year I was tossing around the idea of running a half marathon & at that time I had only ran 1 5k: 29:45 in May 2011, I ran another 5k in Jan 2012 & then I jumped the gun & signed up for a half marathon. I had injuries along the way resulting in taking time off here & there, but my 1st half marathon was in April 2012 & my time was 2:16:34 for 13.1 mi. I took time off after my race because my body was exhausted from the training & finally went to see a doctor for my pain/injury. I strained my hip flexor & I'm now going to physical therapy twice a week....IT HURTS LIKE CRAZY...but it was my doing!

SO LISTEN to your bodies ladies & GOOD LUCK!!!! Feel free to add me as a friend for support, I'm no expert, but I hope to be able to jump in soon!
  • marnet12
    marnet12 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm excited about all the posts here! Most of my runner friends have been at it a lot longer than I have. They are very encouraging, but I'm over my head with them.

I had a few struggling moments on this morning's run and I just kept thinking how good I would feel when I could come home and log my hour run with all those calories burned on MFP!

Little did I know, I was going to find a new group of friends as well.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Bump, until I'm ony laptop.
  • ParimPampu
    ParimPampu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wowowow! This looks like a good group! So, how will this work? Shell we set a day of the week we write down how long did we managed to run for or something like this?
  • annadunn12
    annadunn12 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I've been a couch potato for too long. Recently I started gym, but doesn't feel like really work out.
    This morning I started the Couch to 5K.... it has been difficult to do it, but I have to say that the mp3 really pushes you.
    I'm trying to sort out my weekly agenda to have no excuses for jumping any training session.
    Hope I will be able to run my 30 minutes in 9 weeks. So, let's start!

I'm starting the Couch to 5K tomorrow, so count me in! Add me anyone if you like :-) looking to motivate and be motivated!
  • annadunn12
    annadunn12 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm excited about all the posts here! Most of my runner friends have been at it a lot longer than I have. They are very encouraging, but I'm over my head with them.

I had a few struggling moments on this morning's run and I just kept thinking how good I would feel when I could come home and log my hour run with all those calories burned on MFP!

Little did I know, I was going to find a new group of friends as well.

"Like" :-)
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm also a historical running hater:laugh: It's never been something I wanted to do, but when I decided to give myself a mental slap and get healthier, running was the obvious choice being free and time flexible and literally on my doorstep....

I barely managed 200yards on my first run - I think it took me about 20mins to recover enough to say how awful it had been:sad: But I persevered and next week I will be doing 2.5miles a day (up from 2.3miles last week). Originally my plan was to run 5 days a week, and I mostly managed about 4..... But tomorrow is the first day of my newly motivated self and I'm determined to aim for 6 days and manage at least 5 every week from now on. 30 mins cardio is not impossible 6 days a week I think....

I still detest running while actually doing it - and my body still tries to con me into slowing right down to a slow stroll (I can manage about 13min miles if I keep my brain in gear the whole time) but I DO really feel better for the rest of the day if I have run in the morning.

Sounds like a good group & will hpefully keep me on track:smile:
  • webdaughter
    webdaughter Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    @charlottejogs.....a couple of things....I also heart pickles. And ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!! You are the first person I have seen on here with a jayhawk...I just had to comment on it!!!! :)

This looks like a good number of people...I say lets get this group started!!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Count me in! Starting Week 4 of C25K tomorrow!
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Ever since I started getting healthy and losing weight, Ive always said Id love to be a runner. But I never followed it through. My 'go-to' exercise is a power walk on the threadmill but most times I have to drag myself up the stairs to do it! Anyway, ive lost almost all of the weight I originally wanted to.... and guess what, Im still not happy! Slowly but surely I have realised that all those people who sais never to trust the scales, they were right! The number im seeing is great but I really want to tone up now!
    So this week I started C25K, and Im really enjoying it!!! Im a total beginner though so glad that there are others in a similar position :) Here's hoping we can keep each other motivated! :drinker:
  • going2befit4ever
    going2befit4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    starting tomorrow with my hubby again this will be the third time figure third time lucky for me and his second time so here goes
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    WOW --- look at all of the responses!!! FUN! I started a group for us. I sent an invitation to everyone that has responded so far. If you did not receive an invitation, here is the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/6467-running-for-beginners

I will post two threads to get us started:
    -- one that will have some basic guidelines to follow
    -- one that will have weekly challenges (so you don't have to read through everything to find it)

Like I said -- I am very much a beginner. Please feel free to add any suggestions that you might have. I'm going to base our challenges off of two resources: C25K and an interesting website that I found called "i used to hate running . com"

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

http://www.iusedtohaterunning.com/
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Oh --- and this is open to anyone who wants to join (boy or girl) although I suppose the boys will be outnumbered :)
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    not a novice but I will lend any advice I can give in my 11yrs of running if I may...
  • theglencoegirl
    theglencoegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have currently started the couch to 5k program. I am on week 1 day 3 today. I have tried running in the past, when I was actually very fit and have always had problems with my shins. I am hopeful that by taking it slow and easing into it they will not hurt that badly. I have noticed that they still do get sore after my workouts. Currently I am walking briskly for 90 secconds and then running for 60 secconds.

I will be excited to join this...is it going to be set up as a group?

try some toe taps before running to warm up your shins!! it helped me a lot!!

i'm in for the challenge! working on a 10k at the end of sept!!
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner, but now I'm about to start week 7 of C25K, and I'm loving it. I'm able to run 20some minutes and a mile and a half (I'm very slow but totally okay with that for now.) I would absolutely a join a group if someone started one on here. :)
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't mind joining! I just started running in March of this year, and I run about 18-22 miles a week, hoping to increase that. I like challenges and I feel it would help with my goal of increasing speed. Run about 5-6x a week, maybe reducing it to 3-4x since my dr said I might be overdoing it, but I still enjoy pounding the pavement!