depression

Options

Replies

• MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Maybe a change of scenery can do wonders for you. I had really bad SAD when I lived in the northeast (Boston specifically). Since I moved to Florida years ago, I feel 100x better year round.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    One good start would be to change your depressing ID name

No need to be snarky. I don't have this problem but, like the OP, I work in mental health. Believe me, if you knew and saw what "we" do you would be much less likely to believe in meds and the professionals. It can be hard to seek help when you have been exposed to the realities of the field.

OP- That being said, I do think that you should seek some professional help. As I'm sure you know, there are some great professionals and some great support groups.

thank you! but honestly, i am so well resourced in my field that i know of ALL the support groups and i know of so many people from different agencies from scheduling workshops, referrals, health fairs, and other types of partnerships. i don't feel my confidentiality would be valued at all if i was to seek a support group.

and fyi to all the people that say you need to just change your outlook. that is what i am trying to do. it REALLY isn't that simple.a nd also an FYI i don't believe in god, i will not turn to prayer or whatever. i am looking for support and advice from people that know that medication really isn't great for you (psychiatrists that sit on a board "creating" mental disorders, really aren't going to dictate what is and isn't good for my brain. the side effects are far worse than what i am going through now and i am not going to put that **** in my body. antibiotics ARE different, so the reference does not apply)
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I feel totally comfortable posting this on here because I don't really have anyone to talk to outside of here.

I suffer from some pretty severe depression. I do not take medication, simply because I don't believe in it. Yesterday I was awake for about 5 hours of the whole day, and did nothing. I recently quit a really ****ty job with the worst micromanager. I have amazing skills and constantly feel underutilized. (p.s. I still work part time at two different jobs, but it is on call and the time between shifts is unbearable). I am engaged to a wonderful man. I have no friends, and it is not like I don't try. I just find people to be totally selfish and I hate putting in so much effort for people that can only talk about themselves, are sexist, racist, and overall to me boring. Although, I still put in effort because I hate being alone and I am a party girl at heart.

All of this impacts my health. I don't know why I get up in the morning so I don't even know why I exercise or eat healthy. I try, I really do.

Does anyone else have an issue like this? I am looking for tips at dealing with this and seeing a doctor is not an option (or a counsellor, I work in the mental health field and know way too many people at almost every agency in the surrounding area).

Thanks for reading, if you did!

I don't mean to sound cruel but maybe since you "don't believe in" medcation you haven't hit your lowest. I encourage you seek treatment before you do.
    I wouldn't wish those dark days and hopeless nights on anyone.

i know far more about medication than someone who just takes it....i work in the mental health field and see people turned to zombies, taking tonnes of pills from 16-60. thanks for your opinion, but it is SO far off base.

Belittling someone else's experience with their own depression and trying to offer you help is also way off base.
  • tdlsaint
    tdlsaint Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Been there and done that.

I finally woke up one day and looked outside, and it was a beautiful day, and I sat there and thought to myself; I said " You know, what a pretty day outside, and there are going to be plenty of days out there like that, I can get out and enjoy it or sit here and rot."

I got out and enjoyed it. You know the old saying it's mind over matter? It really IS. It simply is just that. Change your frame of mind. At one point we all changed our diet, do the same with how you choose to view things.

I can relate to not having a positive outlook on people in general as well, but it is too easy to get stuck in a negative frame of mind. Refuse to let yourself do that, and refuse to waste another day in bed with the "poor me's " syndrome.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Fake til you make it has always been my solution. Although my depressiom come in bouts. Every six months or so i fall into a severe depression. I've been this way since i was ten or so years old. I hide it very well for the most part but it eats att me. The only things i have found helpful is reflecting on my dreams to see whats wrong and go from there. I have veryy vivid dreams that i can remember. I put the infomation to good use (while not feeling depressed) and i try to figure out whats wrong. Eating and excersize has helped me so much as well, it really takes the edge off. I just push myself into normality rather than sulk in my depression. I do have days where i am physically and mentally paralyzed, i saddly have noadvice on that. What i do in short : force feed yourself normality while proactivley fixing your issues.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Let's see if I have this right?

You don't believe in meds. You don't get out of bed. You don't believe counselors know what they are doing. You don't have friends because you don't like people. You hated your job, you are underemployed but it's not your fault.

You are coming on our forums to basically complain about your life.

No wonder you are depressed. Change your outlook.

It's harsh, but I have to agree with this. Barring therapy and medication, one of the biggest things that can make you happier is having people in your life that you care about and can talk to. I don't know you, so maybe this is a wrong assumption, but it sounds like you don't have enough patience with people. If you think EVERYONE is trifling and not worth your time, then I thnk you haven't gotten to know enough people. It's hard to find true friends, and sometimes even the best ones let you down, but they're what makes life bearable.

To me, it sounds like you have a clinical problem and need to talk to someone. If you won't do that, and you won't try to open yourself up to people, and you won't force yourself out of bed--then I don't know what to tell you. And I don't think anybody else's suggestions will help either.

i also highly dislike arrogance. please read my full post before making any comment. i know a lot about the mental health field, from a providers view, and i am one of the more professional workers. and i also know someone from most of the not-for-profit mental health professionals in the surrounding area, so that is NOT an option. finding a great worker is hard, finding a great worker that i don't already know is way harder.

and i never said everyone is trifling and not worth my time. and i don't even have the energy to finish my thought on that.

there are qualities of people, it isn't that i haven't found them, it is that i haven't found any that want to spend any time with me...instead of themselves.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider an entirely different approach, then. There are lots of studies indicating that proper diet and exercise may help decrease or eliminate depression in many people. I've seen a huge difference for myself since I started consistently eating foods that help alleviate depression over the past 4 years. There is plenty of info online if you want to look into it.

If you consume wheat I'd also recommend reading the book "Wheat Belly" for some other ideas.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Fake til you make it has always been my solution. Although my depressiom come in bouts. Every six months or so i fall into a severe depression. I've been this way since i was ten or so years old. I hide it very well for the most part but it eats att me. The only things i have found helpful is reflecting on my dreams to see whats wrong and go from there. I have veryy vivid dreams that i can remember. I put the infomation to good use (while not feeling depressed) and i try to figure out whats wrong. Eating and excersize has helped me so much as well, it really takes the edge off. I just push myself into normality rather than sulk in my depression. I do have days where i am physically and mentally paralyzed, i saddly have noadvice on that. What i do in short : force feed yourself normality while proactivley fixing your issues.

thank you for your post without shoving your opinions down my throat.

i do try the fake it till you make it stuff, but i am in the paralysis stage...
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Maybe consider an entirely different approach, then. There are lots of studies indicating that proper diet and exercise may help decrease or eliminate depression in many people. I've seen a huge difference for myself since I started consistently eating foods that help alleviate depression over the past 4 years. There is plenty of info online if you want to look into it.

If you consume wheat I'd also recommend reading the book "Wheat Belly" for some other ideas.

thank you.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I would make one of your priorities your diet. Meaning make sure ALL your vitamins and minerals are spot on. At least do a Google search and find out what vitamins/minerals are important for combating depression. It makes a big difference and is a good place to start. Best wishes!!! :flowerforyou:
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Erm, well. I don't really know how to take some of these replies so I'm just going to pretend they don't exist.

Some people get depression and some people don't.

I have depression too (bi-polar disorder) and I get exactly what you're saying. I don't take prescription meds because I hate them. I just think they're awful and destroyed my life. I know people who take them and sometimes they seem to work and sometimes they don't. I don't see them as a solution for everyone. I took them for awhile when I was younger and they made everything so much worse. Now I use a routine created by my Naturopathic Doctor. It has really helped.

I don't know if you ever explored that option but I would recommend it. I still have low days sometimes but I can go to school, work, go out, socialize, enjoy things. It's so different than how I was a few years ago (not being able to leave my apartment, having no energy, pushing all my friends away, skipping classes, not being able to work).

I know there's a way for you to get your life on track. It took me so long to do but there is a way.

I don't have any advice for you off hand. I know that even when you want to change things, depression can keep you from doing it. It's like being stuck in a deep hole and unless you have the right tools, you aren't going to be able to climb out. If you ever want someone to talk to, feel free to add me or message me or whatever.

I really hope you find the tools you need.
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Depression is a Catch-22 and many people don't seem to understand that to just "Be Happy" is not a real solution. That said, you are probably not going to like what I have to say next: You really need to see a professional, your suspicions regarding lack of confidentiality be damned. The cost of living with undiagnosed depression is too expensive versus having "everybody know." More people suffer from depression that you would suspect and it simply isn't the stigma that it was even ten years ago. If nothing else, you could find out what kind of depression you have (e.g. anemia-based vs a major chemical imbalance) and decide on your approach from there.

I really do understand and hope you take that first step: Be brave and move upwards and onwards :-)
  • KiwiKim25
    KiwiKim25 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Based on personal experience:

I had tried a few medicine therapies. My doctors were great and started me on low doses that very slowly increased so that I wasn't over medicated. Unfortunately, I had to stop in order to get another health issue under control.

Because of this:

I would suggest finding online help support (there are some out there specifically for depression) and trying a meditation class. I can not meditate on my own, but really enjoy the classes. Also acknowledging the balance between making yourself go out and be social/interact/get stuff done days and allowing "Me Days".

There is a lot of help online for this in many areas. Articles, forums, classes, books and more. I hope you find one (or more) that works for you!
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Erm, well. I don't really know how to take some of these replies so I'm just going to pretend they don't exist.

Some people get depression and some people don't.

I have depression too (bi-polar disorder) and I get exactly what you're saying. I don't take prescription meds because I hate them. I just think they're awful and destroyed my life. I know people who take them and sometimes they seem to work and sometimes they don't. I don't see them as a solution for everyone. I took them for awhile when I was younger and they made everything so much worse. Now I use a routine created by my Naturopathic Doctor. It has really helped.

I don't know if you ever explored that option but I would recommend it. I still have low days sometimes but I can go to school, work, go out, socialize, enjoy things. It's so different than how I was a few years ago (not being able to leave my apartment, having no energy, pushing all my friends away, skipping classes, not being able to work).

I know there's a way for you to get your life on track. It took me so long to do but there is a way.

I don't have any advice for you off hand. I know that even when you want to change things, depression can keep you from doing it. It's like being stuck in a deep hole and unless you have the right tools, you aren't going to be able to climb out. If you ever want someone to talk to, feel free to add me or message me or whatever.

I really hope you find the tools you need.

this post made me happy. I too took meds when I was younger, but hated them as well. I actually felt it intensified some of my feelings. Later on I started taking Ativan, that was a couple years ago just because my self-esteem was so shot that I literally felt choked up during presentations in University.

I started taking lots of vitamins last week and have been pretty consistent with them. Naturopaths can be so expensive, maybe I can look for some plans online for free.

Thank you for the post.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    One good start would be to change your depressing ID name

i've had this name for forever, in tribute to one of my fav songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uJya5YgZps
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have depression and a psychiatrist who believes medication is way over prescribed. His advice to me was basically (in nicer words) to get off my *kitten*, stop feeling sorry for myself and get out there and do things. Take a course to give my mind something to do, physically do something to give my body something to do. Make myself get out of bed and actually do things no matter how little I feel like doing them. He says it's a vicious circle, the less you do the more depressed you become, the more depressed you come the less you want to do.

I've taken his advice and while I wouldn't say life is all sunshine and light and happiness I'm feeling a hell of a lot better. Well enough in fact to stop pigging out on rubbish and get my eating back under control which is something I wasn't able to do before making myself get out of bed and do things.

I appreciate it may not be that simple for everyone and that some people may need medication or counselling or whatever to help but it's working for me.
  • foxyforce
    Options
    why do so many people get off saying that people with depression "FEEL SORRY FOR THEMSELVES", i don't feel sorry for myself. that is a hoot and a half.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! And don't let people get on you for not taking medication. Statistically anti-depressants do not work. I am going to message you with some info.

Define "work." If drug companies could not provide evidence that their product produced a statistically significant decrease in symptoms of depression vs. a placebo, in a double-blind study, then they would not receive FDA approval. There are a lot of issues in the clinical approval process, including the fact that in the past, clinical trials did not have to be per-registered, meaning that companies would only report studies showing significant results (now studies are pre-registered so this should not be such an issue). Whether or not to take anti-depressants (or any other medicine for that matter) is a personal decision, that an individual should make in conjunction with information from a health care provider, but please don't go spouting off about what is "statistically" true if you do not understand statistics or the approval process for new medications. Thanks!

For the OP, I do understand what you are going through to some extent. I have a long history of depression that was not particularly responsive to conventional treatment strategies (e.g. medication, therapy). I find what makes the biggest difference in my ability to function is making sure I get enough sleep, eat well, and exercise regularly. It's hard to make yourself do these things starting off, but they can be of great benefit to at least some people--or at the very least, they keep me functional.
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there are volunteer group sessions around?

Well to start off make yourself get up, and follow a good meal plan daily, also keep up the exercise it will make you feel better.

Really too bad you're too stubborn to get professional help, you're playing with fire. good luck

most professionals really don't know what they are doing anyway, i have worked with enough of the goofballs!
    I take offense to this, I am a mental health professional and it is an extremely involved process, a ton of schooling, supervision, and more. The reality is we are not meant to "fix" people, we are trained to encourage and support them. Many people think it is our job to give them all of the answers but what good would that do? A person has to take responsibility for their choices, behaviors, and their feelings so that they can achieve lasting change. I struggle with depression myself even though I am a mental health professional; however, I have to continue to acknowledge where I am, identify triggers, and continue finding ways to combat those negative feelings. It isnt easy and it is a process.

To the poster, I understand your feelings and hope you can find the support you need because human beings werent engineered to do life alone. There is no shame in getting help, in fact even though I am a trained professional (working on licensure) one of the conditions of our training is to get our own mental health in check by regularly seeking therapy. The stigma attached to it is one reason we live in such a sick world, many people refuse help to uphold a certain image even though they really need it. We all do on some level. :)
  • gsurface28
    gsurface28 Posts: 16
    Options
    A few things that might help (or not?) Volunteer or do something for someone else.. Bless someone with your time or actions. Its amazing how good we start to feel when we take our focus off ourself - problems & reach out to help others!
    Also - You might really enjoy Joyce Myers book "Battlefield Of The Mind" - its life changing :)
    Praying for ya!
This discussion has been closed.