Low Carb?

Options

Replies

• douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Crabs are really good source of protein and taste nice, especially the white meat. They are also fairly low calorie.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    You'll lose weight, so long as you're running a calorie deficit. The carbs have nothing to do with it.

But to many carbs have a lot do with always beeing hungry. It is a fact, that protein and fat keeps fuller and prevents gravings.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Yes Atkins was a bit of a "fad" diet in the 90's but that's because people treated it like a diet and not a lifestyle. If you are doing the low carb/keto/paleo "diet" you are changing your life and know you have to keep up with it forever.

Low-carb diets have been popular since the late 1960s.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The low fat (hence high carb) dieting paradigm hasn't worked for society as a whole for 40 years, so I don't think we can stick with it much longer without some kind of overhaul if not a 180 degree U-turn.

...that argument worked 10 years ago.

Low carb isn't just a little secret that the hipster kids are into nowadays; it has spawned multiple major fads in the last 10 years; 10's of millions of people have done low carb diets. A majority of overweight people have made a stab at it at some point.

If a major revolution and turnaround hasn't happened yet; the wrong tree is being barked up.

At some point the logical conclusion is that food itself isn't the problem. All of the Taubes school of thought (which was was repurposed by the super duper mega oldschoolers) conviently ignore the other non-food key cultural changes that coincided with the rise in obesity, namely a huge plethora of things that involve a lack of doing anything but sitting (cable TV, computers, and video games to name 3 heavy hitters).

Yes Atkins was a bit of a "fad" diet in the 90's but that's because people treated it like a diet and not a lifestyle. If you are doing the low carb/keto/paleo "diet" you are changing your life and know you have to keep up with it forever.

Of course if you eat low calorie, and "diet" for a while and then go back to what you were eating before, you're going to gain everything back. A lot of people give up because they can't maintain it, but if you give yourself a chance and stick with it and change your habits, it is a very viable mealplan.

I did not comment in the least bit on how it worked, but instead on the very specific reasoning that Taubes made that was being regurgitated.

That is tying the rise in obesity in with the low fat diet recommendations by the government, concluding in a logic train that fats are not the problem; increasing fat and decreasing carbs therefore fixes the obesity problem, that government recommendations are contributing to the problem.

The paleo folks meanwhile have jumped on this with wide open arms, since paleo folks identify themselves as others, being better than them (them being non-paleo), they leap on any explanation that sets up divides and proves their superiority. Likewise since conspiracys by big evil corporations and guys in black helecopters can be tied in with this particular argument, they eat it up; they took the red pill and are no longer part of the matrix.

The simple problem with this logic train is that it only works when you are proving the superiority of some secret totally different idea; when this idea has been by and large mainstream for a decade and a half you cannot use long term population data to prove the wrongness of one particular ethos. By the same token can say that if obsesity rates have not declined in the 21st century, the low carb diet doesn't work; if obsety rates have risen, the low carb diet actually contributes to the problem.

Whether or not the diets work is irrelevant, but this particular argument for low carb diets made by Gary Taubes is no longer a relevant argument, it is foolish to continue to regurgitate it.
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think its a great idea. I try to keep mine around 100 also, but all natural carbs.
    Try to keep as minimal of processed stuff as possible.

i also watch my calories.
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    To go low carb for a short term period doesn't make any sense.
    Personally, I'm living low carb (60g/day), and it's helping me learn to respect the almighty macro balance, something that Weight Watchers didn't teach me, once upon a time. It's also shown me that eating high carb for every meal (I am a pescetarian, so before this, some (most) meals consisted entirely of carbs) only serves in making my body inefficient.

I consider myself a success, and I know that continuing to eat this way will ensure my continued success. I have lost 43lbs since January 11th 2012.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I generally eat very low carb simply because I don't eat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. Not for any weight loss reason, but because when I eat those things (even the gluten free varieties) I simply do not feel good. My digestion is thrown off, I feel like my head is cloudy, I'm tired and lethargic.

I know that I have a gluten sensitivity, but even non-gluten starches really weigh me down, so I just don't eat em. My diet is basically lean meat, fruits and veggies, eggs, and a little cheese here and there, plus a protein shake after a workout. My carbs are typically somewhere around 75 per day. I don't really aim for any specific #, it just happens to be pretty low since I don't eat processed foods (generally speaking---I am not too good for a slice of greasy pizza, beer, or some Mexican food here and there).

Some people find that they need starches like that to have energy, but for me it's the exact opposite. High protein, lots of veggies, and a couple servings of fruit per day give me tons of energy, keep my mind sharp and active, and keep me going! I have had an easier time losing weight/maintaining muscle mass while eating a low carb diet, so that's a plus too. Whatever you do, it's gotta be a lifestyle change. For me, it's a no brainer just because I feel SO much better, but it isn't realistic for everyone.

ETA: I've set my macros on here to 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fats---that balance has really been great for me, personally.

This.

It should also be noted that their are two different Atkins plans. The old one which you kept track of carbs and the new plan where you keep track of net carbs which takes fiber into consideration. Either way - different strokes for different folks.

One thing I learned - try if for myself and forget the naysayers. It didn't work for them for a reason, doesn't mean it won't work for me.

I love carbs. Sadly, carbs don't love me. I feel like someone on a 3 day drinking binge. It's nuts.

My dietitian actually has me on lower carb. I have never felt better.

I do eat fruit - occasionally - but sadly the natural sugars set me off too. Fruit might be good for people, but it's not good for people with medical conditions that can't have it.

My meals tend to be eggs, lean meats, and greens. Pretty easy and I am never hungry. My digestive problems thank me for it daily.

We can't all follow the same diet because we dont all have the same body. You might be able to eat a thousand carbs a day and feel fine and still lose weight, others can't. Same goes for low cal, low fat, counting cals, counting fats, counting points, low carb, high protein - or whatever it is you try/worked for you.

I found when I stopped trying to follow a "plan" and actually got professional help I did much better.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm living low carb (60g/day), and it's helping me learn to respect the almighty macro balance, something that Weight Watchers didn't teach me, once upon a time. It's also shown me that eating high carb for every meal (I am a pescetarian, so before this, some (most) meals consisted entirely of carbs) only serves in making my body inefficient.

I consider myself a success, and I know that continuing to eat this way will ensure my continued success. I have lost 43lbs since January 11th 2012.

Weight Watchers worked for me years ago. But I always felt like I was starving...it took 10 years for me to figure out why.

I love it when I hear success stories - no matter what plan a person follows!

(this is not directed ^^) I am bugged by those that say this or that meal plan sucks but yet here you get 100s of people it worked for. Ok, so you didn't like it because it tasted gross, you couldn't handle it, or it did not work for you. But don't discourage those it could work for.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Weight Watchers worked for me years ago. But I always felt like I was starving...it took 10 years for me to figure out why.

I love it when I hear success stories - no matter what plan a person follows!

(this is not directed ^^) I am bugged by those that say this or that meal plan sucks but yet here you get 100s of people it worked for. Ok, so you didn't like it because it tasted gross, you couldn't handle it, or it did not work for you. But don't discourage those it could work for.

You'd hate me. I am allllll for discouraging people against meal plans if they consist of only liquid, or only come in a box. Why buy meal plans when you can eat anything you want for free? Because you trust marketing rep's education on nutrition?
  • imissbagels
    imissbagels Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I started my low carb diet about 2 weeks ago. My dietitian suggested simply limiting carbs to 30gm per meals and 15gm per snack. (totaling no more than 120gm per day). So far its working out really well! I feel great and its overall helping me with my diet. Its making me eat less and make smarter choices because carbs are EVERYWHERE. Thats incredible for your dad! Good luck to you!!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Just cutting carbs doesn't work very long. You still have to watch calories. Your father started at a very high weight, it falls off faster at that weight and it falls off faster for men usually then women.

With that said, I low(er) carb and it works great but I am very strict on my carbs and my calories are very controlled. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you just low carb without calorie control or increase in exercise you wont get very far.
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I am on my 2nd day of low carbs and I do have a slight headache but not the lack of energy. If anything, I think my energy level is up.
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I generally eat very low carb simply because I don't eat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. Not for any weight loss reason, but because when I eat those things (even the gluten free varieties) I simply do not feel good. My digestion is thrown off, I feel like my head is cloudy, I'm tired and lethargic.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I first tried the low carb lifestyle for weightloss reasons but now I do it because I generally function better when I keep my carbs low. If I go over 100 carbs a day, I feel the need to take a nap right at my desk at work no matter how much caffeine I put in my system. I am more alert, quicker in movement, and even my memory is better when I stay away from sugar and starches.
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    Any anthropology or biochemistry students will tell you low carb dieting is a clean, safe, and very healthy way to thrive.
    I'm completely impressed with the body's ability to utilize fats and proteins for fuel. Carbohydrates exist in fruits and vegetables, so you're never going to be entirely carb free.
    Keeping them below 100 is fantastic.. 70 is even better.

Besides, everyone's chemistry is different. If you have candida overgrowth or insulin resistance, you will meet a lot of problematic symptoms that pass after about 20-30 days.

I say it's worth it to every person on the planet, to at least try out. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Any anthropology or biochemistry students will tell you low carb dieting is a clean, safe, and very healthy way to thrive.
    I'm completely impressed with the body's ability to utilize fats and proteins for fuel. Carbohydrates exist in fruits and vegetables, so you're never going to be entirely carb free.

Besides, everyone's chemistry is different. If you have candida overgrowth or insulin resistance, you will meet a lot of problematic symptoms that pass after about 20-30 days.

I say it's worth it to every person on the planet, to at least try out. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:

I can't see me going to an anthopology student for dietrey advice any time soon - what makes them qualified to dispense nutrition advice?

OP - if you want to try low carb, go for it, lots of people like it - as you can see from this thread.
    But, if it doesn't sounds as though it would be something you could sustain, and you haven't been advised to avoid carbs for medical reasons - then don't feel pressured to do it. I don't eat low carb and I've lost weight and am very healthy. Each of us is different and you need to experiment to work out what makes you feel good and what fits in with your lifestyle and is sustainable for the long term for YOU, not for anyone else.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Thanks for the laugh! Really.

I have more endomorphic qualities. That means my insulin resistance is high. HOWEVER, I am dropping weight just fine on average of 200+ carbs a day. You can even check my log. It goes like this:

1. Carbs have been made out to be evil due to pure bunk science.
    2. Over all calorie intake matters.
    3. A balance of ALL three macros MATTER for long term health.

EAT YOUR DAMN CARBS!
  • brkwv5
    brkwv5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey, annika! Check out the La vida low carb group on here. There are some great people there, who are supportive and can offer lots of great suggestions if you need them. There are people doing Atkins, or just moderately low carb (around 100 carbs a day), and paleo-ish people as well in the group. Lots of variety, and lots of support.

Best wishes!

We each need to do what works for us. THere should be room for positivity and acceptance for ALL different eating plans.
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    Low Carb = controversy on here! But low carb is what works for me! There are lots of us on here doing various levels of "low carb"
    Don't just listen to the naysayers! It is a healthier lifestyle then people think it is.

When I started I kept my carbs as low as I could. Aiming for around 30 and keeping under 50. All of those carbs came from greens and veggies- healthy sources. The first week was HORRIBLE adjusting to going off wheat and sugar!!!! But then I felt AMAZING and the weight fell off and I was NEVER hungry! It depends on how hard core you want to be Keeping carbs under 100 grams is a great moderate way to lose. The KEY is to get your carbs from healthy sources : tons of green veggies, fruits, sweet potatoes.

I feel like a totally different person when I eat like this.
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options

Thanks for the laugh! Really.

I have more endomorphic qualities. That means my insulin resistance is high. HOWEVER, I am dropping weight just fine on average of 200+ carbs a day. You can even check my log. It goes like this:

1. Carbs have been made out to be evil due to pure bunk science.
    2. Over all calorie intake matters.
    3. A balance of ALL three macros MATTER for long term health.

EAT YOUR DAMN CARBS!

I appreciate your willingness to be honest about how you feel toward diet. By the same token, everyone is different like I said before. Glad to see you've found what works for you :flowerforyou:
    OP, you've got to try everything before you figure out what your body likes best. Granted, grains and phytates are damaging to the gut lining and may not affect everyone in the same way.
    It's truly about eating clean and smart. Experimentation and research are definitely required in order to find each person's personal happy place.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Low carb takes the joy out of life. And low carb means limiting fruit. Fruit is good for you. And IMO, a diet is not successful if it "worked" for someone. If it is successful, it is "still working" for someone. Anyone can lose weight, not many can keep it off. Try something that works for you. Usually people get tired of low carb, go back to eating normal and gain all the weight back. What a headache. If you go low carb, try limiting yourself to 150 grams per day. Not the super strict 20. Good luck!

That's generally a product of a lazy cook and no creative streak in the kitchen IMO. I enjoy the foods that I eat now MUCH more than the old carb laden crap that most people eat. That stuff just doesn't taste very good once you're off of it for a while, and the only reason it does taste good is the addiction response that most have to grains and sugar.